    If I ordered camera equipment from the USA, to the value of £1700, how much
    would it be after UK customs, VAT, etc?

    Would the Canon warranty still be valid?

    Matt, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Matt

    Your-Nice Guest

    just did that myself and it cost me aprox £250 in vat and handling charge,
    it still worked out £150 cheaper than the uk price got my stuff from here
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ but had to split order as they could not verify
    above $1500 on my visa card i also had to send them a photo copy of the
    front and back of the card , i would buy from them again.
    Rob.

    Your-Nice, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Matt

    Paul Bielec Guest

    Funny, I was just trying to figure out what the customs would be for a Canon
    Flash I'd like to buy in US (I live in Canada). I have to wait for the
    office hours tomorrow. With the weak US$ things are getting really cheap in
    US. Usually, the customs plus taxes are pretty high though. On the other
    hand, everything is twice the price in UK. Only thing I found cheap in UK
    was a pint of beer:) yummy
    As for warranty, I know that Nikon USA warranty is not even valid in Canada
    so you better double check for Canon. Call a UK Canon service center.

    Paul Bielec, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hello "Your-Nice".

    Where were you looking to buy in the UK before buying from USA?

    Matt, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Matt

    Dave Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > If I ordered camera equipment from the USA, to the value of £1700, how much
    > would it be after UK customs, VAT, etc?
    >
    > Would the Canon warranty still be valid?

    I've never bought a camera, but have bought computers from the USA
    There are 3 charges

    1) VAT @ 17.5%. This goes on the item AND shipping, so the more it costs
    to ship, the more VAT you pay.

    2) Import duty. This never seemed to be much (around 4%) but it might be
    different on photographic kit.

    3) The money the courier wants. Generally companies such as Fedex will
    pay the VAT+duty before delivery to you. Then they will charge you the
    VAT+duty, plus some small amount for collecting it.

    I rekon on adding 20-25% normally.

    If you ship it United States Postal Service (USPS) it seems to be far
    less likley to attract VAT+duty than if shipped by Fedex, UPS or
    similar. Customs do not pick on every item, but they seem to know that
    most high value items go via fedex or similar.

    If possible, I would ask for it to be shipped by a slowish airmail (7-10
    days) rather than the fast, but expensive UPS/Fedex or similar. Not only
    is carriage cheaper, but it is far less likely to attract VAT. Fedex and
    UPS will usually deliver the item before the duties are paid and send
    you a bill later. If shipped by USPS, Royal mail will deliver it to your
    door, but will want paying before they part with the goods.

    Despite what one eBay seller is saying, declaring an item as a gift
    (illegal anyway) does not ensure it does not get VAT. A friend was sent
    something by his Sister and still had to pay for it. Neither do I
    believe the story someone said on here a week or so ago that customs go
    by the retail price of a product. As far as I am aware, customs are not
    going to research the finest details on items, but only go on the
    *declared value*. You can not insure anything for more than the declared
    value, so if you get a dealer to declare its value to be small (many
    will do this), not only is it illegal for them, but you are unable to
    insure it.

    Dave, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Matt

    The Dave© Guest

    > Matt wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > If I ordered camera equipment from the USA, to the value of #1700,
    > how much would it be after UK customs, VAT, etc?
    >
    > Would the Canon warranty still be valid?

    This is probably a very naive question, but here goes. Do you have to
    declare what you take out of the country when you leave? If not,
    what's to prevent you from visiting, buying a camera, then just saying
    you brought it with you when you left? To avoid taxes, I mean. How
    would they know the difference? You could mail the paperwork back in a
    thin envelope, if necessary, and it'd look like no more than a letter.

    --
    You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill
    the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the plate and give the

    The Dave©, Nov 24, 2004
  7. Matt

    The Dave© Guest

    > The Dave) wrote:
    > > Matt wrote:
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > If I ordered camera equipment from the USA, to the value of #1700,
    > > how much would it be after UK customs, VAT, etc?
    > >
    > > Would the Canon warranty still be valid?

    > This is probably a very naive question, but here goes. Do you have to
    > declare what you take out of the country when you leave? If not,
    > what's to prevent you from visiting, buying a camera, then just saying
    > you brought it with you when you left? To avoid taxes, I mean. How
    > would they know the difference? You could mail the paperwork back in
    > a thin envelope, if necessary, and it'd look like no more than a
    > letter.

    I'm assuming a physical visit, not mail order. Sorry. Got this
    confused with another similar post.

    The Dave©, Nov 24, 2004
  8. Matt

    Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:50:47 +0000, Dave <> wrote:

    >Matt wrote:
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> If I ordered camera equipment from the USA, to the value of £1700, how much
    >> would it be after UK customs, VAT, etc?
    >>
    >> Would the Canon warranty still be valid?
    >>

    >I've never bought a camera, but have bought computers from the USA
    >There are 3 charges
    >
    >1) VAT @ 17.5%. This goes on the item AND shipping, so the more it costs
    >to ship, the more VAT you pay.
    >
    >2) Import duty. This never seemed to be much (around 4%) but it might be
    >different on photographic kit.
    >
    >3) The money the courier wants. Generally companies such as Fedex will
    >pay the VAT+duty before delivery to you. Then they will charge you the
    >VAT+duty, plus some small amount for collecting it.
    >
    >I rekon on adding 20-25% normally.

    The 4% is about right. However, digital cameras are exempt from this
    duty.

    MJ

    , Nov 24, 2004
  9. The Dave© wrote:
    > This is probably a very naive question, but here goes. Do you have to
    > declare what you take out of the country when you leave? If not,
    > what's to prevent you from visiting, buying a camera, then just saying
    > you brought it with you when you left? To avoid taxes, I mean. How
    > would they know the difference? You could mail the paperwork back in a
    > thin envelope, if necessary, and it'd look like no more than a letter.

    They look out for the signs - apparently brand new kit which is fresh to
    market, *all* the accessories, components apparently unused, things in
    plastic bags and boxes, etc. Then they ask, and study your reaction and
    demeanour. Then they check the serial number of the product to see where it
    was put on the market. Then you have some explaining to do.

    Derek Fountain, Nov 24, 2004
  10. Matt wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > If I ordered camera equipment from the USA, to the value of £1700, how much
    > would it be after UK customs, VAT, etc?
    >
    > Would the Canon warranty still be valid?

    I've just done a similar thing to you, but I'm in South Africa. I had
    just about given up with photography ( My own B&W dev. etc ) due to the
    high costs of materials .... not to mention the loss of investment in my
    lenses for the Nikon. BUT !!! I heard my cousin was coming over here for
    Christmas. To cut a long story short he's bringing over a D70 body for
    me at a tad over 1/3 of the purchase price here in SA. The remaining 2/3
    of the price here is purely for VAT & customs OR .... the dealers here
    are taking the consumer for a ride or both. I know I'm losing out on the
    warranty but I've been very happy with the few Nikon bits & pieces I've
    acquired over the last 25 years or so and have built up a lot of respect
    for their products so I'm more than comfortable with taking a chance
    with their stuff.

    As for your Canon, I'd think you would be in a similar position. I have
    a Canon scanner, a S9000 printer and a BJ330 printer none of which have
    given me a hiccup. The BJ330 is already 11 years old and went in for
    it's 1st service this year. All that was replaced was the ribbon cable
    and the foam absorbers. The ribbon cable had it's insulation worn off
    from rubbing while the head moved. Never had to make use of the warranty.

    I'd like to ask my cousin to help you out as well ( he was in London
    last week ) but he may look a bit conspicuous with a multitude of
    cameras hanging around his neck ...

    Good luck .

    Bernard.

    Bernard Rother, Nov 24, 2004
  11. Matt

    Dps Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > If I ordered camera equipment from the USA, to the value of £1700, how

    much
    > would it be after UK customs, VAT, etc?
    >
    > Would the Canon warranty still be valid?

    Don't know about UK but i n Greece you can pay from 0% up to 500% customs,
    depending on the guy that performs the transaction and how much you have to
    bribe..... BUT I will second the option of buying from germany. Much
    cheaper, almost at the US level+taxes VAT etc, even cheaper than France plus
    European warranty. I use this one:

    http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/psm_frontend/main.asp

    ("suche" is search ;-) ) get the best price, check out what they're asking
    for a courrier, and I bet you'll end up with a nice price, you'll find out
    that the courrier will cost you your airline tickets to berlin and I hope
    you have a nice weekend over there testing your new camera ;-)

    Dps, Nov 24, 2004
  12. Matt

    Pete S. Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:30:12 -0000, "Matt" <> wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >If I ordered camera equipment from the USA, to the value of £1700, how much
    >would it be after UK customs, VAT, etc?
    >
    >Would the Canon warranty still be valid?

    The answer is "it depends", but it IS cheaper.

    Try http:\\17streetphoto.com Excellent service, and quicker than
    buying in the UK.

    Pete S.

    Pete S., Nov 24, 2004
  13. Matt

    Ken Tough Guest

    Bernard Rother <> wrote:

    >I heard my cousin was coming over here for
    >Christmas. To cut a long story short he's bringing over a D70 body for
    >me at a tad over 1/3 of the purchase price here in SA. The remaining 2/3
    >of the price here is purely for VAT & customs OR .... the dealers here
    >are taking the consumer for a ride or both. I know I'm losing out on the
    >warranty but I've been very happy with the few Nikon bits & pieces I've
    >acquired over the last 25 years or so and have built up a lot of respect
    >for their products so I'm more than comfortable with taking a chance
    >with their stuff.

    If he legitimately buys it overseas, how can you lose out on
    warranty? Just because people move around the world, does it
    mean that everything they own has its warranty voided? I live
    in SA at the moment, but if I buy here and leave next year, am
    I expected to lose my warranty on everything? In fact, not. I
    bought my laptop in UK, and IBM was perfectly happy to do warranty
    work here (in fact I didn't need it).

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Nov 24, 2004
  14. Matt

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <41a414ab$0$25775$>,
    Derek Fountain <> wrote:
    >The Dave© wrote:
    >> This is probably a very naive question, but here goes. Do you have to
    >> declare what you take out of the country when you leave? If not,
    >> what's to prevent you from visiting, buying a camera, then just saying
    >> you brought it with you when you left? To avoid taxes, I mean. How
    >> would they know the difference? You could mail the paperwork back in a
    >> thin envelope, if necessary, and it'd look like no more than a letter.

    >They look out for the signs - apparently brand new kit which is fresh to
    >market, *all* the accessories, components apparently unused, things in
    >plastic bags and boxes, etc. Then they ask, and study your reaction and
    >demeanour. Then they check the serial number of the product to see where it
    >was put on the market. Then you have some explaining to do.

    One obvious thing that will be very hard to explain away is the US power
    cord in your luggage.

    Chris Brown, Nov 24, 2004
  15. Matt

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <co1gmm$2p9t$>,
    Dps <servis*REMOVE THIS*@deslab.ntua.gr> wrote:

    >Don't know about UK but i n Greece you can pay from 0% up to 500% customs,
    >depending on the guy that performs the transaction and how much you have to
    >bribe.....

    We're British, we don't do that sort of thing. :p

    Getting caught smuggling consumer electronics is one thing - you'll most
    likely get away with paying the duty and getting a stern telling off, but
    attempting to bribe a customes officer would get you in very deep shit very
    quickly.

    Chris Brown, Nov 24, 2004
  16. Matt

    Dps Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <co1gmm$2p9t$>,
    > Dps <servis*REMOVE THIS*@deslab.ntua.gr> wrote:
    > >
    > >Don't know about UK but i n Greece you can pay from 0% up to 500%

    customs,
    > >depending on the guy that performs the transaction and how much you have

    > >bribe.....

    > We're British, we don't do that sort of thing. :p
    >
    > Getting caught smuggling consumer electronics is one thing - you'll most
    > likely get away with paying the duty and getting a stern telling off, but
    > attempting to bribe a customes officer would get you in very deep shit

    very
    > quickly.

    GOD ARE YOU BRITISH OR WHAT?????? ;-D The *OFFICER* requests the bribing,
    you *NEVER* suggest to bribe anyone...... To be fair, not all officers are
    the same, but the Greek photographic community has reported a particular
    (female, not that it makes any difference) officer that skins people just to
    get something in the country. IF you do not settle with her to sth like
    nominal customs % + her bribing you end up with crazy numbers for a single
    camera!!!!AFAIK the same has happened to other EU countries (we did not
    invent bribing) especially with stuff from the US or HK. HK people report
    that they have their own people in the EU to take care of customs (don't
    know what this means...), but I never actually bought anything from them.

    Dps, Nov 24, 2004
  17. Dps wrote:
    > "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <co1gmm$2p9t$>,
    >>Dps <servis*REMOVE THIS*@deslab.ntua.gr> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Don't know about UK but i n Greece you can pay from 0% up to 500%

    > customs,
    >
    >>>depending on the guy that performs the transaction and how much you have

    >>>bribe.....

    >>We're British, we don't do that sort of thing. :p
    >>
    >>Getting caught smuggling consumer electronics is one thing - you'll most
    >>likely get away with paying the duty and getting a stern telling off, but
    >>attempting to bribe a customes officer would get you in very deep shit

    > very
    >
    >>quickly.

    > GOD ARE YOU BRITISH OR WHAT?????? ;-D The *OFFICER* requests the bribing,
    > you *NEVER* suggest to bribe anyone...... To be fair, not all officers are
    > the same, but the Greek photographic community has reported a particular
    > (female, not that it makes any difference) officer that skins people just to
    > get something in the country. IF you do not settle with her to sth like
    > nominal customs % + her bribing you end up with crazy numbers for a single
    > camera!!!!AFAIK the same has happened to other EU countries (we did not
    > invent bribing) especially with stuff from the US or HK. HK people report
    > that they have their own people in the EU to take care of customs (don't
    > know what this means...), but I never actually bought anything from them.

    I doubt if you guys can beat the black South African when it comes to
    bribery ( & most of Africa for that matter ) and no .... I'm not racist
    ..... merely stating some facts. (Most of my early working years were
    spent within their communities helping with housing projects ...
    thousands upon thousands of units etc.)

    You can get almost anything from driver's licenses, birth & death
    certificates to ID documents etc for a few rand. At one point I was even
    offered a "fancy" ( an AK47 ) for R50,00 .. about $8.
    Why ... even our deputy president is under investigation as you read
    this for queries regarding arms deals and big deposits in his bank account.

    Talking of Germany ... they're manufacturing a couple of submarines for
    SA and asked the SA Gov. to send 12 guys over for training. Germany sent
    them all back as being "untrainable" and requested some more guys. The
    second contingent consisted of a few white guys. The Germans kept the
    white sailors, sent the blacks back and asked if there were anymore
    of "these".
    Our minister of defence stated that we needed the subs in case we are
    attacked by the USA ! Took us weeks to stop laughing ... I mean, we're
    still a banana republic.
    Just as an aside ... why do the black Americans insist on being referred
    to as "African Americans" ? If I was a black American I'd be a bit
    embarrassed with that label.

    Oh yeah ... enjoy your new Canon

    Bernard Rother, Nov 24, 2004
  18. Matt

    Dps Guest

    I will just wish that you become less bitter - I won't judge what you say
    because I can't. But I'll tell you this: take more pictures ;-)

    P.S. "The Lexus and the olive tree": don't whip me, I do not fully agree
    with Friedman. But he is right in this one (I cannot quote the exact words,
    but it goes like this): Whether a country belongs to the 1st, 2nd or 3d
    world, depends on the amount of bribing that the average citizen is supposed
    to do, in order to get his job done. Then he says that - at the time he
    wrote the book - in India you can get a passport only by bribing all
    officials involved in the whole issue process.

    I wish someone has this part in English, I read it in Greek....

    Dps, Nov 24, 2004
  19. Matt

    Your-Nice Guest

    Yes 7dayshop.com were the cheapest but the USA price is more apealing and to
    save £150 its worth it.

    Your-Nice, Nov 24, 2004
  20. Ken Tough wrote:
    > Bernard Rother <> wrote:
    >

    >>I heard my cousin was coming over here for
    >>Christmas. To cut a long story short he's bringing over a D70 body for
    >>me at a tad over 1/3 of the purchase price here in SA. The remaining 2/3
    >>of the price here is purely for VAT & customs OR .... the dealers here
    >>are taking the consumer for a ride or both. I know I'm losing out on the
    >>warranty but I've been very happy with the few Nikon bits & pieces I've
    >>acquired over the last 25 years or so and have built up a lot of respect
    >>for their products so I'm more than comfortable with taking a chance
    >>with their stuff.

    > If he legitimately buys it overseas, how can you lose out on
    > warranty? Just because people move around the world, does it
    > mean that everything they own has its warranty voided? I live
    > in SA at the moment, but if I buy here and leave next year, am
    > I expected to lose my warranty on everything? In fact, not. I
    > bought my laptop in UK, and IBM was perfectly happy to do warranty
    > work here (in fact I didn't need it).

    It will be a legit purchase from B&H in NY and if Nikon honour the
    warranty in SA it will surely be nice bonus .. heres' hoping.

    Bernard Rother, Nov 24, 2004