    antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in todays
    pc climate?
    Joy

    Joy, Oct 30, 2004

  2. Joy

    PseUDO Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff like
    > Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something out
    > there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection. Anyone
    > like to suggest something?
    >
    > I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security measures
    > I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    > antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in todays
    > pc climate?
    > Joy

    Use AVG for antivirus, it's free light weight and has recently had an
    overhaul, a lot of people think that isn't any good, but it will protect
    you from the everyday virus's that are actually in the wild.

    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/16/lng/us/tpl/v5 its in beta at
    the moment but works fine, and the release version will be out in a few
    weeks.

    Firewall, use XP's built in one, it works fine for incoming connections,
    it, doesn't block out going connections, but if you know what software
    you have on your pc, and you dont randomly open email attachments etc,
    then you will be fine.
    If you want out going protection as well use either zone alarm
    http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html or Kerio
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html both free.

    Spyware use either adware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    or Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html both again are free.

    With all those programmes, and most important of all downloading and
    installing all the security updates on windows update, you shouldn't
    have to many problems,

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 30, 2004

  3. Joy

    Ripping Silk Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff like
    > Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something out
    > there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection. Anyone
    > like to suggest something?
    >
    > I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security measures
    > I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    > antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in todays
    > pc climate?
    > Joy

    try

    http://www.free-av.com/

    and

    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=staticcomp_za

    Ripping Silk, Oct 30, 2004
  4. Joy

    JedMeister Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > Joy wrote:
    >> I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff
    >> like
    >> Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something
    >> out
    >> there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection.
    >> Anyone
    >> like to suggest something?
    >>
    >> I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security
    >> measures
    >> I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    >> antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in
    >> todays
    >> pc climate?
    >> Joy
    >>

    > Use AVG for antivirus, it's free light weight and has recently had an
    > overhaul, a lot of people think that isn't any good, but it will protect
    > you from the everyday virus's that are actually in the wild.
    >
    > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/16/lng/us/tpl/v5 its in beta at
    > the moment but works fine, and the release version will be out in a few
    > weeks.
    >
    > Firewall, use XP's built in one, it works fine for incoming connections,
    > it, doesn't block out going connections, but if you know what software you
    > have on your pc, and you dont randomly open email attachments etc, then
    > you will be fine.
    > If you want out going protection as well use either zone alarm
    > http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html or Kerio
    > http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html both free.
    >
    > Spyware use either adware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ or
    > Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html both again are free.
    >
    > With all those programmes, and most important of all downloading and
    > installing all the security updates on windows update, you shouldn't have
    > to many problems,
    >
    > PseUDO

    Are you sure xp sp2 firewall does not block outgoing connections? When I
    install a new program, and it tries to access the net a window appears
    asking if the program should be allowed to do so.

    JedMeister, Oct 31, 2004
  5. Joy

    PseUDO Guest

    JedMeister wrote:
    > "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Joy wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff
    >>>like
    >>>Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something
    >>>out
    >>>there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection.
    >>>Anyone
    >>>like to suggest something?
    >>>
    >>>I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security
    >>>measures
    >>>I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    >>>antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in
    >>>todays
    >>>pc climate?
    >>>Joy
    >>>

    >>Use AVG for antivirus, it's free light weight and has recently had an
    >>overhaul, a lot of people think that isn't any good, but it will protect
    >>you from the everyday virus's that are actually in the wild.
    >>
    >>http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/16/lng/us/tpl/v5 its in beta at
    >>the moment but works fine, and the release version will be out in a few
    >>weeks.
    >>
    >>Firewall, use XP's built in one, it works fine for incoming connections,
    >>it, doesn't block out going connections, but if you know what software you
    >>have on your pc, and you dont randomly open email attachments etc, then
    >>you will be fine.
    >>If you want out going protection as well use either zone alarm
    >>http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html or Kerio
    >>http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html both free.
    >>
    >>Spyware use either adware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ or
    >>Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html both again are free.
    >>
    >>With all those programmes, and most important of all downloading and
    >>installing all the security updates on windows update, you shouldn't have
    >>to many problems,
    >>
    >>PseUDO

    > Are you sure xp sp2 firewall does not block outgoing connections? When I
    > install a new program, and it tries to access the net a window appears
    > asking if the program should be allowed to do so.

    Certain programmes will bring up a box, like you got, but it doesn't do
    it very often, iv'e only ever had the window popup once.

    You can manually put in the programmes that you want to block out going
    connections, it is in the firewall section of the control panel.

    But if you want a tight lock down, then you need a third party firewall
    for outbound connections.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 31, 2004
  6. PseUDO wrote:
    >> Are you sure xp sp2 firewall does not block outgoing connections? When
    >> I install a new program, and it tries to access the net a window
    >> appears asking if the program should be allowed to do so.
    >>

    > Certain programmes will bring up a box, like you got, but it doesn't do
    > it very often, iv'e only ever had the window popup once.

    Only when a program asks to receive an inbound connection back to the
    machine do you see this dialog box

    > You can manually put in the programmes that you want to block out going
    > connections, it is in the firewall section of the control panel.

    This is for programs that are asking to receive inbound, not blocking
    outbound

    > But if you want a tight lock down, then you need a third party firewall
    > for outbound connections.

    Exactly

    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 31, 2004
  7. In article <4183f51a$> in nz.comp on Sun, 31 Oct 2004
    09:18:10 +1300, Joy <> says...
    > I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff like
    > Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something out
    > there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection. Anyone
    > like to suggest something?

    eTrust, we run this on all sorts of machines and it doesn't hit the
    performance that much. In fact I never see the realtime monitor showing
    anything more than 1% CPU use at any time.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 31, 2004
  8. Joy

    tatties Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:18:10 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff like
    > Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something out
    > there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection. Anyone
    > like to suggest something?
    >
    > I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security measures
    > I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    > antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in todays
    > pc climate?
    > Joy

    Antivirus: Download Anti-vir http://www.free-av.com/
    Firewall: Download http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html
    If you have an adsl router it probably works as a hardware firewall just
    by not having ports forwarded unless you route them.
    If you are on dialup the software ones are sufficient

    tatties, Oct 31, 2004
  9. Joy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:18:10 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff like
    > Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something out
    > there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection. Anyone
    > like to suggest something?
    >
    > I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security measures
    > I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    > antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in todays
    > pc climate?

    Let me start at the end, hard*ware* fire walls (routers) are now so cheap
    you should have one. On the internet these days, it is just like the real
    world, there are nasty people out there.

    Security is about making so difficult, for the person so motivated, to
    attack your PC in a successful manner.

    Also *there is more to security* than anti virus software. The war is on,
    the nasty chaps see the challange of messing your PC up, and are
    acecepting it.

    As the "other" side gets a great defence against virus, then they move
    onto the next soft area.

    http://www.f-prot.com/ for anti virus stuff, one option. This company
    which used to be from Iceland when the Internet was still in nappies.

    Gordon, Oct 31, 2004
  10. Joy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:48:15 +1300, Hmmm wrote:

    > What you should do is
    > get an old machine, install smoothwall on it.
    > you need 3 network cards in the smoothwall box
    > 1) green lan
    > 2) red internet
    > 3) oranage dmz
    >
    > put all your servers on the dmz
    > put the rest of your machines on the green network
    >
    > if the dmz gets compromised then your green will still be ok
    >
    > that will take care of your firewall needs
    > then you just need some av software for your machines on the green :)
    >
    > thats the most secure approach :)

    Right, and mean while could we have one that Joy might be able to enable ;-)

    Gordon, Oct 31, 2004
  11. Joy

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:18:10 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff like
    >Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something out
    >there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection. Anyone
    >like to suggest something?
    >
    >I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security measures
    >I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    >antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in todays
    >pc climate?
    >Joy

    AVP is considered the Best but its not free.

    www.avp.ch

    Geronimo, Oct 31, 2004
  12. Joy

    Geronimo Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:33:04 +1300, Ripping Silk <>
    wrote:

    >Joy wrote:
    >> I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff like
    >> Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something out
    >> there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection. Anyone
    >> like to suggest something?
    >>
    >> I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security measures
    >> I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    >> antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in todays
    >> pc climate?
    >> Joy
    >>

    >try
    >

    >http://www.free-av.com/
    >
    >and
    >
    >http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=staticcomp_za

    Heap of CRAP..

    Geronimo, Oct 31, 2004
  13. Joy

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Oct 31, 2004
  14. Joy

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:29:04 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

    About Zone Alarm

    > Heap of CRAP..

    Sure you need to pay for the better edition. Now where did I read this
    recently?

    Gordon, Oct 31, 2004
  15. Joy

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Oct 31, 2004
  16. Joy

    Hmmm Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > I have to buy antivirus software again! I don't want the bloggy stuff like
    > Nortons which is all I've ever used in the past. There must be something out
    > there that doesn't slow it down but will still give good protection. Anyone
    > like to suggest something?
    >
    > I've never run a hardwall firewall before but in a list of security measures
    > I've seen recently, it was a must have along with software firewall,
    > antivirus, antispam, antispyware. Is a hardwall really neccessary in todays
    > pc climate?
    > Joy

    What you should do is
    get an old machine, install smoothwall on it.
    you need 3 network cards in the smoothwall box
    1) green lan
    2) red internet
    3) oranage dmz

    put all your servers on the dmz
    put the rest of your machines on the green network

    if the dmz gets compromised then your green will still be ok

    that will take care of your firewall needs
    then you just need some av software for your machines on the green :)

    thats the most secure approach :)

    apart from that, a nice firewall is sygate from www.sygate.com

    dont use the windows firewall, if you are going to have a firewall at
    least get a decent one, sygates is free

    also make sure the firewall does stateful packet inspection, sygates
    does this.

    my 2 cents :)

    Hmmm, Oct 31, 2004
  17. Joy

    Hmmm Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:43:07 +1300, tatties wrote:
    >

    >>Antivirus: Download Anti-vir http://www.free-av.com/
    >>Firewall: Download http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html

    > You might also consider
    >
    > a) ZoneAlarm
    > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    >
    > and b) Outpost Firewall
    >
    > www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

    You can also check out
    http://www.dshield.org
    http://www.mynetwatchman.org

    These will tie in nicely with zone alarm and other firewalls, they
    monitor your firewall logs and submit attacks to these websites. These
    websites when they have gathered enough attacks from a single ip, then
    contact the isp or authority over the attacking the ip. They have had
    quite a lot of luck in getting some people closed down and it feels good
    to know you are fighting back :), lots are people that don't know their
    machines have been compromised but you are helping them also cause their
    isp will tell them to sort their pc out :)

    These sites also compile lists of the worst attackers and can download
    the list of ips to your machine automatically and your firewall can then
    block those.

    its quite cool cause you can follow through the progress of the ips you
    have reported and see who else has reported them also and you get to see
    what the isps response is when they reply to the letter complaining
    about the attacks etc :)

    Hmmm, Oct 31, 2004
  18. Joy

    Joy Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:48:15 +1300, Hmmm wrote:
    >
    > > What you should do is
    > > get an old machine, install smoothwall on it.
    > > you need 3 network cards in the smoothwall box
    > > 1) green lan
    > > 2) red internet
    > > 3) oranage dmz
    > >
    > > put all your servers on the dmz
    > > put the rest of your machines on the green network
    > >
    > > if the dmz gets compromised then your green will still be ok
    > >
    > > that will take care of your firewall needs
    > > then you just need some av software for your machines on the green :)
    > >
    > > thats the most secure approach :)

    > Right, and mean while could we have one that Joy might be able to enable

    ;-)

    I like his idea. Wish i was more competent cause I have two spare machines.
    Joy

    Joy, Oct 31, 2004