    --
    Thank You in Advance
    Trace
    =?Utf-8?B?VHJhY2U=?=, Nov 13, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VHJhY2U=?=

    Bill Crocker Guest

    You will need a WiFi router. Linksys, and Netgear, are probably your best
    value. You don't need to spend the extra money for their Super WiFi, Speed
    Boost, or what ever they call it. Standard 802.11b is faster than DSL, or
    go with 802.11g, is you want faster speeds between your systems, for file
    transfer, or remote administration. As for your son's computer...WiFi can
    be a little finicky at times, and if you add to that, the quirkyness of
    Windows ME, you'll be pulling your hair out! Seriously consider upgrading
    your son's computer to Windows XP Home. If you do so, make sure you run
    Windows Update, and get all the patches, etc. Then get a PCI WiFi card for
    your son's computer.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Nov 13, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VHJhY2U=?=

    Malke Guest

    Trace wrote:

    > Good morning
    >
    > I am interested in setting up a wireleless network in my home. I have
    > a dsl connection. My computer has all it needs in order to do this
    > but, My sons computer does not. I am running XP home and his computer
    > will have "ME". I know that I have to buy some things like a NIC card,
    > and a router, but do I need a NIC card or a wireless pci card w/ an
    > antenna on his computer in place of a NIC card. any info will be
    > helpful

    If your son's computer is only going to connect to the network
    wirelessly, you only need to buy a wireless network card; you don't
    need an ethernet card, too. Here are some links to help you with
    networking:

    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
    http://www.wown.info/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm - Small Network Troubleshooter by
    Hans-Georg Michna

    Here's another good link explaining networking from Linksys (although of
    course you don't have to buy Linksys hardware):

    http://www.linksys.com/configurator/

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Nov 13, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VHJhY2U=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The content of the following links will provide you with a short tutorial
    about Wireless, it is short and to the point:principles -

    The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices, but
    the principles are still the same.

    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).