    Any other reccomendations?

    Thanks
    Dean
    Dean, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Dean

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dean wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am setting up a wireless network for a local club and would like some
    > advice on purchasing a WAP.
    > The building it will be located in comprises of 3 very large rooms with
    > concrete walls and ceilings.
    >
    > The wireless card will be a DELL 802.11 b/g and I am wondering about the WAP
    > at
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42682d8f0ba17996273fc0a87f990769/Product/View/XH8287
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with this model? Does it come with a DP-SMA
    > connector for fitting an better aerial?
    >
    > Any other reccomendations?

    Yeah, avoid the D-Link DWL-2000AP+

    Wait, ignore that last comment, I might have one to sell :)

    I have tried some other DSE wireless gear - including their other AP

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42682d8f0ba17996273fc0a87f990769/Product/View/XH7988

    and *both* of the ones I tried were broken; in fact, I have yet to buy a
    wireless product from DSE (except for a Bluetooth dongle) that I haven't
    taken back. Having said that, DSE do have a really good returns policy
    so as long as you can determine any problems early on, you should be OK.

    As far as a better aerial is concerned, I get better results using a
    reflector than I did with a better aerial. Looks a bit naff, though.
    -=rjh=-, Apr 22, 2005

  3. Dean

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dean wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am setting up a wireless network for a local club and would like some
    > advice on purchasing a WAP.
    > The building it will be located in comprises of 3 very large rooms with
    > concrete walls and ceilings.
    >
    > The wireless card will be a DELL 802.11 b/g and I am wondering about the WAP
    > at
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42682d8f0ba17996273fc0a87f990769/Product/View/XH8287
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with this model? Does it come with a DP-SMA
    > connector for fitting an better aerial?

    Looks very similar to

    http://computerlink.co.nz/itemdesc.asp?CartId={76A85B1B-D76C-4276-9D55-8D312692A57EVEREST9}&ic=710931502411&eq=&Tp=

    cheers
    -=rjh=-, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Suddenly, Dean sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am setting up a wireless network for a local club and would like some
    > advice on purchasing a WAP.
    > The building it will be located in comprises of 3 very large rooms with
    > concrete walls and ceilings.
    >
    > The wireless card will be a DELL 802.11 b/g and I am wondering about the WAP
    > at

    Seems to me wireless is a tricky technology and going with a name brand
    is likely to get better results. I was advised that 3com are good and it
    seems OK to me so far.

    Also that matching the brand of the access point with the cards helps,
    as that is more likely to be a test combination.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Dean

    Rider Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Dean wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am setting up a wireless network for a local club and would like some
    >> advice on purchasing a WAP.
    >> The building it will be located in comprises of 3 very large rooms with
    >> concrete walls and ceilings.
    >>
    >> The wireless card will be a DELL 802.11 b/g and I am wondering about the
    >> WAP
    >> at
    >>
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42682d8f0ba17996273fc0a87f990769/Product/View/XH8287
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any experience with this model? Does it come with a
    >> DP-SMA
    >> connector for fitting an better aerial?
    >>
    >> Any other reccomendations?

    > Yeah, avoid the D-Link DWL-2000AP+

    Any particular reason why?

    Rider
    Rider, Apr 23, 2005
  6. Dean

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dean wrote:
    >>>Any other reccomendations?

    >>Yeah, avoid the D-Link DWL-2000AP+
    >>

    > Any particular reason why?

    Definitely yes, see the thread I started

    "D-Link AP problems (quite long)" <4266de26$>

    cheers
    -=rjh=-, Apr 23, 2005
  7. Dean

    Rider Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    >> "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message

    >>>Yeah, avoid the D-Link DWL-2000AP+
    >>>

    >> Any particular reason why?

    > Definitely yes, see the thread I started
    >
    > "D-Link AP problems (quite long)" <4266de26$>
    >
    > cheers

    Yeah, just saw it and posted. Having very similar issues with same model.
    Mine started from pretty much word go, though.

    Nasty piece of crap.

    Rider
    Rider, Apr 23, 2005
  8. Dean

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 03:14:16 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > Seems to me wireless is a tricky technology and going with a name brand
    > is likely to get better results.

    Psst! Heard of radio, TV (free to air), both wireless.

    Not so much tricky tenol but new.
    Gordon, Apr 23, 2005
  9. Dean

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:43:10 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > As far as a better aerial is concerned, I get better results using a
    > reflector than I did with a better aerial. Looks a bit naff, though.

    Is not a reflector a better areial, in that it makes the arieal work
    better?
    Gordon, Apr 23, 2005
  10. Suddenly, Gordon sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Psst! Heard of radio, TV (free to air), both wireless.

    Thats got precious little to do with Wifi, neither being digital, and
    both being reception only.

    Aaron Lawrence, Apr 23, 2005