Buying a used d70 with Lens. Am I paying the right price?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ReelDeal@gmail.com, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hey everyone,

    So I have finally decided to invest in a digital SLR, but I simply
    cannot afford to drop over a thousand dollars on new equipment, lenses,
    accessories...

    So I responded to a guy who posted an ad on Craigslist, where he was
    looking to sell this package for $900:

    One Nikon D70 Digital camera with a Nikon 28-80 f3.3-5.6 Zoom lens with
    rubber hood, 256 meg card, all cables and manuals, strap etc.
    Everything it came with plus the card. Asking $900. This is nearly new.

    I offered him $500, and after an email or two, we settled on $600. Of
    course I will meet him in person to verify the authenticity of the
    equipment, condition of the lens, and the full functionality of the
    camera body.

    While I am not a stranger to digital photography, I must admit I am not
    very knowledgeable about Canon's past and current digital SLR camera
    bodies and lenses: my trusty N2000, RMC Tokina Prime, and Nikkor Zoom
    have treated me well. But I do want to also have digital as an option.
    I will be using this camera for various things: outdoor beauty shots,
    landscapes, street candid's, etc...

    So, assuming all the items are in good condition, what kind of a deal
    am I getting? And also, if any of you guys have any ideas for a guy in
    the market for a good digital SLR body and zoom lens, feel free to
    chime in.

    If you have read this far I thank you. I am sure some of you on here
    are much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject, hence my open
    question to the members of this group. I appreciate any helpful
    feedback I can get.

    Thanks in advance,
    Tal

    P.S. If this is an incorrect forum for questions regarding equipment, I
    apologize, but I do not know where else to post this.

    , Jan 12, 2006

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:

    > One Nikon D70 Digital camera with a Nikon 28-80 f3.3-5.6 Zoom lens with
    > rubber hood, 256 meg card, all cables and manuals, strap etc....
    > I offered him $500, and after an email or two, we settled on $600...
    > So, assuming all the items are in good condition, what kind of a deal
    > am I getting?

    A very good one.

    > And also, if any of you guys have any ideas for a guy in the market
    > for a good digital SLR body and zoom lens, feel free to chime in.

    If you're comfortable with Nikon stuff, the above is about as good
    as you're likely to do. The one thing I'd change is dump the 28-80
    and get an 18-70 DX instead, especially if you don't expect to use
    the 28-80 with your N2000.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 12, 2006

  3. wrote:
    >One Nikon D70 Digital camera with a Nikon 28-80 f3.3-5.6 Zoom lens with
    >rubber hood, 256 meg card, all cables and manuals, strap etc.
    >Everything it came with plus the card. Asking $900. This is nearly new.
    >
    >I offered him $500, and after an email or two, we settled on $600. Of
    >course I will meet him in person to verify the authenticity of the
    >equipment, condition of the lens, and the full functionality of the
    >camera body.

    That looks about as good as it gets. I did a search on eBay for
    recently listed D70's and found some that are right in that
    range ($560 for a body, $630 for one described similar to yours,
    except with an 18-70mm lense). But most were higher, and
    several went for a *lot* more ($800-950 seems pretty common).

    >While I am not a stranger to digital photography, I must admit I am not
    >very knowledgeable about Canon's past and current digital SLR camera
    >bodies and lenses: my trusty N2000, RMC Tokina Prime, and Nikkor Zoom

    If your lenses are AF, they will work fine on the D70. The
    typical problem would be a need for a wide angle lens for the
    D70 though, because of the smaller format (sensor size) a 35mm
    is a "normal" lense, so wide angle has to be down there a
    something wider than a 28mm.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd Davidson, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Paul Rubin Guest

    Floyd Davidson <> writes:
    > >bodies and lenses: my trusty N2000, RMC Tokina Prime, and Nikkor Zoom

    > If your lenses are AF, they will work fine on the D70.

    Oops, I should have caught that too. The N2000 is an MF camera and
    the lenses (at least the Tokina) sound to also be MF. MF lenses that
    fit the N2000 will mount on the D70, but the D70 will have no metering
    capability at all with these lenses, making them possibly near
    useless, depending on your shooting habits. In addition, the D70
    viewfinder has no focusing aid, so without MF, you're left using the
    whole screen to focus.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 12, 2006
  5. george Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > So I have finally decided to invest in a digital SLR, but I simply
    > cannot afford to drop over a thousand dollars on new equipment, lenses,
    > accessories...
    >
    > So I responded to a guy who posted an ad on Craigslist, where he was
    > looking to sell this package for $900:
    >
    > One Nikon D70 Digital camera with a Nikon 28-80 f3.3-5.6 Zoom lens with
    > rubber hood, 256 meg card, all cables and manuals, strap etc.
    > Everything it came with plus the card. Asking $900. This is nearly new.
    >
    > I offered him $500, and after an email or two, we settled on $600. Of
    > course I will meet him in person to verify the authenticity of the
    > equipment, condition of the lens, and the full functionality of the
    > camera body.
    >
    > While I am not a stranger to digital photography, I must admit I am not
    > very knowledgeable about Canon's past and current digital SLR camera
    > bodies and lenses: my trusty N2000, RMC Tokina Prime, and Nikkor Zoom
    > have treated me well. But I do want to also have digital as an option.
    > I will be using this camera for various things: outdoor beauty shots,
    > landscapes, street candid's, etc...
    >
    > So, assuming all the items are in good condition, what kind of a deal
    > am I getting? And also, if any of you guys have any ideas for a guy in
    > the market for a good digital SLR body and zoom lens, feel free to
    > chime in.
    >
    > If you have read this far I thank you. I am sure some of you on here
    > are much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject, hence my open
    > question to the members of this group. I appreciate any helpful
    > feedback I can get.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tal
    >
    > P.S. If this is an incorrect forum for questions regarding equipment, I
    > apologize, but I do not know where else to post this.

    The 28-80 is a very cheap lens anyway...my local dealer had one (new) on the
    clearance table for $59 (normally $89). A D70 seems to go for about $600
    (body only), so I'd say you worked out a better-than-average deal. BTW, if
    you shoot RAW, the 256MB memory card is less than useless...I'd say a
    minimum of 1GB would be in order.

    George

    george, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Warren O Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > So I have finally decided to invest in a digital SLR,

    You sound as if you are a penurious and insecure person. Don't you know that
    a DSLR is not an investment? Its value will continue to decrease, not
    appreciate. If you are looking to invest your hard-pinched pennies, look
    elsewhere.

    Warren O, Jan 12, 2006
  7. --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
    ? <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > So I have finally decided to invest in a digital SLR, but I simply
    > cannot afford to drop over a thousand dollars on new equipment, lenses,
    > accessories...
    >
    > So I responded to a guy who posted an ad on Craigslist, where he was
    > looking to sell this package for $900:
    >
    > One Nikon D70 Digital camera with a Nikon 28-80 f3.3-5.6 Zoom lens with
    > rubber hood, 256 meg card, all cables and manuals, strap etc.
    > Everything it came with plus the card. Asking $900. This is nearly new.
    >
    > I offered him $500, and after an email or two, we settled on $600. Of
    > course I will meet him in person to verify the authenticity of the
    > equipment, condition of the lens, and the full functionality of the
    > camera body.
    >
    > While I am not a stranger to digital photography, I must admit I am not
    > very knowledgeable about Canon's past and current digital SLR camera
    > bodies and lenses: my trusty N2000, RMC Tokina Prime, and Nikkor Zoom
    > have treated me well. But I do want to also have digital as an option.
    > I will be using this camera for various things: outdoor beauty shots,
    > landscapes, street candid's, etc...
    >
    > So, assuming all the items are in good condition, what kind of a deal
    > am I getting? And also, if any of you guys have any ideas for a guy in
    > the market for a good digital SLR body and zoom lens, feel free to
    > chime in.
    >
    > If you have read this far I thank you. I am sure some of you on here
    > are much more knowledgeable than I am on the subject, hence my open
    > question to the members of this group. I appreciate any helpful
    > feedback I can get.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Tal
    >
    > P.S. If this is an incorrect forum for questions regarding equipment, I
    > apologize, but I do not know where else to post this.

    Used equipment:avoid, avoid, avoid.Better get a cheap point & shoot new with
    a warranty from a serious merchant than getting mixed with online buying
    etc.

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Paul Rubin Guest

    "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> writes:
    > Used equipment:avoid, avoid, avoid.Better get a cheap point & shoot
    > new with a warranty from a serious merchant than getting mixed with
    > online buying etc.

    You know, I have six(?) Nikon SLR's and the only one of them I bought
    new (an FM10) broke after one roll of film despite gentle handling.
    Nikon fixed it under warranty and the FM10 is notoriously flimsy, but
    that's still unimpressive. The only other one I have trouble with is
    a beat-to-hell FM whose film advance jammed after it fell out of my
    backpack and hit a concrete sidewalk.

    I'd say check the stuff out carefully and if it seems ok, it's
    probably fine.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 12, 2006
  9. >>So I have finally decided to invest in a digital SLR,

    > You sound as if you are a penurious and insecure person. Don't you know that
    > a DSLR is not an investment? Its value will continue to decrease, not
    > appreciate. If you are looking to invest your hard-pinched pennies, look
    > elsewhere.

    He didn't say it was a /financial/ investment he was making.

    Derek Fountain, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Warren O Guest

    "Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    >>>So I have finally decided to invest in a digital SLR,

    >> You sound as if you are a penurious and insecure person. Don't you know
    >> that a DSLR is not an investment? Its value will continue to decrease, not
    >> appreciate. If you are looking to invest your hard-pinched pennies, look
    >> elsewhere.

    > He didn't say it was a /financial/ investment he was making.

    He DID say he was making an investment and did make a big deal out of beating
    the seller's price down.

    Warren O, Jan 12, 2006
  11. >>>>So I have finally decided to invest in a digital SLR,
    >>>You sound as if you are a penurious and insecure person. Don't you know
    >>>that a DSLR is not an investment? Its value will continue to decrease, not
    >>>appreciate. If you are looking to invest your hard-pinched pennies, look
    >>>elsewhere.

    >>He didn't say it was a /financial/ investment he was making.

    > He DID say he was making an investment and did make a big deal out of beating
    > the seller's price down.

    Agreed.

    What I disagree with is your statement "Don't you know that a DSLR is
    not an investment?" Mine was a wonderful investment, despite the
    financial cost.

    Derek Fountain, Jan 12, 2006
  12. Warren O Guest

    >>>He didn't say it was a /financial/ investment he was making.

    >> He DID say he was making an investment and did make a big deal out of
    >> beating the seller's price down.

    > Agreed.
    >
    > What I disagree with is your statement "Don't you know that a DSLR is not an
    > investment?" Mine was a wonderful investment, despite the financial cost.

    An investment is the outlay of money for profit. How much more money is your
    "investment" worth since it was purchased?

    Warren O, Jan 12, 2006
  13. Warren O wrote:
    []
    > An investment is the outlay of money for profit. How much more money
    > is your "investment" worth since it was purchased?

    So what is an investment (yours or the state's) in a child by providing
    them with a good education? Is an investment of your time purely for
    profit? Not perhaps to enhance your enjoyment of reading, music or the
    arts?

    David J Taylor, Jan 12, 2006
  14. Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:46:29 GMT, "Warren O" <>
    wrote:

    >"Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> He DID say he was making an investment and did make a big deal out of
    >>> beating the seller's price down.

    >> Agreed.
    >>
    >> What I disagree with is your statement "Don't you know that a DSLR is not an
    >> investment?" Mine was a wonderful investment, despite the financial cost.

    >An investment is the outlay of money for profit. How much more money is your
    >"investment" worth since it was purchased?

    Define "profit". If you view "profit" as "reward" or "benefit", then
    you do gain on your investment.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 12, 2006
  15. Guest

    One of the definitions of 'invest' given in my copy of The Concise
    Oxford Dictionary is
    "lay out money on - as in a car".......

    , Jan 12, 2006
  16. Guest

    >You sound as if you are a penurious and insecure person.

    And you sound like a bitter and lonely person. I hope you don't take
    jabs at everyone who kindly asks for some advice, for your sake.

    , Jan 12, 2006
  17. "Warren O" <> wrote:
    >"Derek Fountain" <> wrote in message
    >> What I disagree with is your statement "Don't you know that a DSLR is not an
    >> investment?" Mine was a wonderful investment, despite the financial cost.

    >An investment is the outlay of money for profit. How much more money is your
    >"investment" worth since it was purchased?

    Value of a used DSLR: $600
    Value of family pictures: priceless

    The amount of profit from investing in a DSLR is there beyond
    calculation in terms of dollars.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd Davidson, Jan 12, 2006
  18. Warren O wrote:

    > An investment is the outlay of money for profit. How much more money
    > is your "investment" worth since it was purchased?

    Well, my cameras make money every day for me and require no feeding,
    watering, or changing of diapers. A general rule of thumb, no matter how
    much you pay for a camera the financial returns should have far exceeded
    what you paid for it in the first three months of ownership and use.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 12, 2006
  19. Hoover Guest

    dickhead

    Hoover, Jan 12, 2006
  20. Deedee Tee Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:25:13 GMT, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    >Define "profit". If you view "profit" as "reward" or "benefit", then
    >you do gain on your investment.

    Personally, I have always assumed that the terms "profit" and
    "investment" imply any kind of advantage or returns to the person in
    question, not only financial. So, I have no difficulty in accepting a
    larger view than monetary gain. Even if we apply the terms strictly to
    monetary gain, there is always an assumption that the latter is
    advantageous in some non-financial way. If you don't use the money to
    some end that is pleasurable to you, there is no point in making money
    in the first plce.

    Deedee Tee, Jan 13, 2006