    monitor that I need to match up with name-plate data on my old one? Or
    are all SVGA monitors interchangeable, like light bulbs?

    , Nov 19, 2006

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 07:52:21 -0800, tomhr Has Frothed:

    > My old SVGA monitor is fading fast (pun intended).
    >
    > Are there any tricks or things I should be aware of, in buying a
    > replacement monitor? In particular, is there anything on the new
    > monitor that I need to match up with name-plate data on my old one? Or
    > are all SVGA monitors interchangeable, like light bulbs?

    Yes.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Nov 19, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > My old SVGA monitor is fading fast (pun intended).
    >
    > Are there any tricks or things I should be aware of, in buying a
    > replacement monitor? In particular, is there anything on the new
    > monitor that I need to match up with name-plate data on my old one? Or
    > are all SVGA monitors interchangeable, like light bulbs?

    SVGA is just some minimum specification for graphic cards and monitors, IMHO
    it is 800x600 resolution at 60Hz minimum refresh, with 256 colors.
    Now, if you had a monitor actually running at 100 Hz and exchange that for
    another which may just do 85 at your given resolution, you will have it
    safety-shutodd when windows starts the GUI.
    So before you exchange monitors, set your refresh rate to 75, and try to get
    rid of the flicker afterwards.
    If you want a flatscreen, you should even set it to 60 Hz (and no, they do
    not flicker like crts) beforehand.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 19, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:

    >My old SVGA monitor is fading fast (pun intended).
    >
    >Are there any tricks or things I should be aware of, in buying a
    >replacement monitor? In particular, is there anything on the new
    >monitor that I need to match up with name-plate data on my old one? Or
    >are all SVGA monitors interchangeable, like light bulbs?

    Like light bulbs. If your into graphics work, getting an ICM file for
    your monitor (for color management) is a plus.

    --
    http://www.webpark.ru/comments.php?id=17677

    , Nov 19, 2006
  5. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >My old SVGA monitor is fading fast (pun intended).
    >
    >Are there any tricks or things I should be aware of, in buying a
    >replacement monitor? In particular, is there anything on the new
    >monitor that I need to match up with name-plate data on my old one? Or
    >are all SVGA monitors interchangeable, like light bulbs?

    They are very interchangeable, except possibly for the new wide-aspect
    LCD displays. In order for these to work properly with your computer
    your video card must be capable of producing 16:9 aspect ratio output.
    Using a wide aspect monitor with standard 4:3 aspect ratio outputs
    (such as 800 x 600) will result in distorted video (circles will
    appear as ovals etc.)

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --