Buying a new monitor, two to choose from

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Village, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Village

    Village Guest

    Hey there,

    Just trying to work out weather I would want to go for one of these two
    monitors, the price difference is little (under $30) and the spec is
    the same apart from the following:

    Monitor A:
    Contrast Ratio 500:1
    Response Time 12ms
    Brightness 300 cd/m2
    Display Colours 16.2m

    Monitor B:
    Contrast Ratio 1000:1
    Response Time 25ms
    Brightness 280cd/m2
    Display Colours 16.7m

    Both are 17 in monitors

    As well as general home office use they would also be used for games
    and occasionally watching movies.

    Any advice would be much appreciated,

    Yours

    Village
    Village, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Village

    Guest

    Normaly there is a tradeoff between the contrast ratio and the responce
    or refresh rate. The higher the specs for these, the more costly the
    monitor will be.

    If you are doing photo finishing, and or are interested in a very good
    picture quality, it is best to go with the higher contrast ratio. If
    you want speed, what is desirable for games, or fast motion, then going
    for the faster refresh rate may be desirable.

    The other solution is to go in to a more expensive LCD montitor, and
    the gap between the two specs will become more preferable.

    For example, check in to the professonal series of the Viewsonic,
    Samsung, and Gateway monitors, to see some with both speed, and a
    higher contrast ratio.

    Jerry G.
    ======
    , Dec 1, 2005

  3. Village

    Fakename Guest

    If you plan on gaming then you really should buy the monitor with the
    12ms response time, which is equvilant to about 72mhz CRT resolution.
    25ms is equal to about 60mhz. Faster response time means you won't see
    lag on your monitor if you have a fast video card.

    Fakename, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Village

    JANA Guest

    You have the right idea. But, you are mixing mHz with Hz!

    16.66 ms, is 60 Hz.

    20 ms, is 50 Hz

    25 ms, is 40 Hz

    13.88 ms, is 72 Hz

    13.33 ms, is 75 Hz

    10 ms, is 100 Hz

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Village

    Village Guest

    Thanks for all of that, I should have mentioned that both monitors came
    as part of a deal (ordered though Dell). What was interesting was the
    number of different view points, and the number of times that I read
    here and on other websites that the specs are a little dubious. I
    guess its a bit like 0-60 times for a new car, the times given by the
    manufactuer are achived though useing the best conditions, for example
    racing slick tires and hardly any extra weight in it.

    In the end I chose monitor A as with the much higher response time it
    should be able to cope in all situations, that and my current monitor
    has a contrast ratio which is about 450:1 and I don't see much of a
    problem with that, so a 1,000:1 would just be over doing it.

    Thanks for explaning the different meanings behind the stats, I know
    that its best to actually see them for yourself but these days when
    ordering off the internet it can be a little difficult.

    Village
    Village, Dec 1, 2005
  6. Village

    bmoag Guest

    Whichever looks better to you as manufacturer's specs for flat panels are
    notoriously unreliable. In general response time is the most important if
    you want to play games and watch movies.

    bmoag, Dec 1, 2005
  7. Village

    Plato Guest

    bmoag wrote:

    > Whichever looks better to you as manufacturer's specs for flat panels are
    > notoriously unreliable. In general response time is the most important if
    > you want to play games and watch movies.

    Yeah you're probably right I was in Best Buy the other day and they had
    perhaps 25 flat panels to choose from each had the brightness turned all
    the way up. Still, some were so dark I'd never buy them even if dirt
    cheap. With a CRT at least no matter what brand you can always get it as
    bright as you want and do fine buying online but with a flat panel it
    seems you have to actually see it first in person.
    Plato, Dec 2, 2005