Buying a light set up

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark C, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Since I live Nashville......Paul Bluff's (owner of White Lighting)
    company/store is 5 minutes from where I work. I have decided to go with
    his Alien Bee line of strobe/flashes. Not just cause they are intown...but
    because everything I have read about his product has been glowing. I
    realize that I could simply pic his brain and get some good
    recommendations...but It would really help to have the opinion of others, as
    well.

    I will probably go with two B800's......I have two smaller 50 ws Britek
    strobes that I can use for backround and hair light.

    My question is this: Do I need to purchase a soft box or can the effect
    obtained from a soft box be obtained with Photoshop?

    What in your opinion is an essential set up for doing studio portraits.

    As always your opinions are always appreciated.

    Ciao,
    Mark C
    Nashville, TN

    Mark C, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Mark C

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mark C asks:

    >I will probably go with two B800's......I have two smaller 50 ws Britek
    >strobes that I can use for backround and hair light.

    Me, too, but next year. Too much in cameras this years.

    >My question is this: Do I need to purchase a soft box or can the effect
    >obtained from a soft box be obtained with Photoshop?

    I bought a Buff softbox about 12-16 months ago, and now wonder how in HELL I
    ever got along without it. I do a lot of small product photography, and it
    eliminates 97% of the problems I had with umbrellas (still use those, too,
    though).

    I have no idea if Photoshop can cut down glare in photos the way a softbox can,
    but if so, it's got to be a lot of extra work.

    I'm going for the octagon style next.

    Dunno about portraits. I don't do them.

    Charlie Self

    "The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating
    plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants."
    George W. Bush

    Charlie Self, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Mark C

    Patrick L. Guest

    Mark C <> wrote in message
    > Since I live Nashville......Paul Bluff's (owner of White Lighting)
    > company/store is 5 minutes from where I work. I have decided to go with
    > his Alien Bee line of strobe/flashes. Not just cause they are

    intown...but
    > because everything I have read about his product has been glowing. I
    > realize that I could simply pic his brain and get some good
    > recommendations...but It would really help to have the opinion of others,

    as
    > well.
    >
    > I will probably go with two B800's......I have two smaller 50 ws Britek
    > strobes that I can use for backround and hair light.
    >
    > My question is this: Do I need to purchase a soft box or can the effect
    > obtained from a soft box be obtained with Photoshop?
    >
    > What in your opinion is an essential set up for doing studio portraits.
    >
    > As always your opinions are always appreciated.
    >
    > Ciao,
    > Mark C
    > Nashville, TN

    I wanted versatility, so I have four alien bees, two B400s and two B800s.
    I haven't done that much portraits, mostly headshots for actors, and I only
    need the two B400s for that. I've been using umbrellas, but I do want to
    get the soft boxes.

    There is so much to say about portraiture, and you really need to get a book
    on it, or take a seminar on it somewhere. That is what I did.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Aug 7, 2003
  4. Mark C

    Wdflannery Guest

    >I bought a Buff softbox about 12-16 months ago, and now wonder how in HELL I
    >ever got along without it. I do a lot of small product photography, and it
    >eliminates 97% of the problems I had with umbrellas

    What advantages does a softbox have over an umbrella ? (I have unbrellas)

    Wdflannery, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Mark C

    Ellestad Guest

    Umbrellas leave very tell-tale catchlights on shiny surfaces of objects
    being photographed - including eye catchlights in portraits. They are
    instantly indentifiable as umbrellas. Softboxes make catchlights that more
    mimic windows.

    I have seen some diffusion panels in softboxes that aliased the direct rays
    from the flashtube across the weave of the fabric, giving a peculiar
    "cats-eye" catchlight. You might check for that.

    Tim

    Ellestad, Aug 8, 2003