buying a lens for my nikon D50

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by banjo, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. banjo

    banjo Guest

    banjo, Feb 4, 2007

  2. " banjo" <_no> wrote in message
    news:pgoxh.94183$...

    > seen this macro lens , but before buying it i thought i would ask on here
    > first.
    >
    > anyone ever used this lens, and what do you think of it?
    > is it worth £339.99?
    > any bad or good things heard or said about it?
    > anything else that anyone can say about it.
    > the lens is here
    >
    > http://www.jessops.com/Store/s28653...aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=143&comp=y
    >
    > and im in the uk.

    That price seems a lot more than other UK online prices for the same lens.
    Have you thought about the 60mm Micro Nikkor which sells for about £220?
    Or save up a bit longer and get the 105mm Micro Nikkor VR for just over £500
    ?

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Feb 4, 2007

  3. banjo

    Guest

    On 4 Feb, 19:56, "Adrian Boliston" <> wrote:
    > " banjo" <_no> wrote in message

    > > seen this macro lens , but before buying it i thought i would ask on here
    > > first.

    > > anyone ever used this lens, and what do you think of it?
    > > is it worth £339.99?
    > > any bad or good things heard or said about it?
    > > anything else that anyone can say about it.
    > > the lens is here

    > >http://www.jessops.com/Store/s28653/0/Lenses/Sigma/105mm-f-and-28-EX-...

    > > and im in the uk.

    > That price seems a lot more than other UK online prices for the same lens.
    > Have you thought about the 60mm Micro Nikkor which sells for about £220?
    > Or save up a bit longer and get the 105mm Micro Nikkor VR for just over £500
    > ?
    >
    > cheers adrianwww.boliston.co.uk

    I have that lens and I have to say that it is superb - for the price
    it cant be beaten. Regarding price - Jessops may price match to a UK
    online price as long as the web site has it in stock - Tecno have it
    in stock for £265. Print out the page and go and ask at Jessops.

    , Feb 9, 2007
  4. wrote:
    []
    > I have that lens and I have to say that it is superb - for the price
    > it cant be beaten. Regarding price - Jessops may price match to a UK
    > online price as long as the web site has it in stock - Tecno have it
    > in stock for £265. Print out the page and go and ask at Jessops.

    FYI:

    I spoke with Jessops today (on a different matter) and was advised that
    they no longer price-match. Of course, it may still be worth asking -
    nothing ventured nothing gained. They do still off a 30-day no quibble
    returns policy.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 9, 2007
  5. banjo

    banjo Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:7f3zh.8715$...
    > wrote:
    > []
    >> I have that lens and I have to say that it is superb - for the price
    >> it cant be beaten. Regarding price - Jessops may price match to a UK
    >> online price as long as the web site has it in stock - Tecno have it
    >> in stock for £265. Print out the page and go and ask at Jessops.

    > FYI:
    >
    > I spoke with Jessops today (on a different matter) and was advised that
    > they no longer price-match. Of course, it may still be worth asking -
    > nothing ventured nothing gained. They do still off a 30-day no quibble
    > returns policy.
    >
    > David

    i have found the same lens locally (norwich,uk) for £277.99.
    £50.00 cheaper than jessops £339.99,
    funny really as i have never heard of the other place, and it seems to have
    been there for a long while.
    just came across it after doing a search on google. the company is
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com
    direct link for the lens is
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/lenses/popups/Sigmalens_105mm.html

    banjo, Feb 9, 2007
  6. banjo wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    > message news:7f3zh.8715$...
    >> wrote:
    >> []
    >>> I have that lens and I have to say that it is superb - for the price
    >>> it cant be beaten. Regarding price - Jessops may price match to a UK
    >>> online price as long as the web site has it in stock - Tecno have it
    >>> in stock for £265. Print out the page and go and ask at Jessops.

    >> FYI:
    >>
    >> I spoke with Jessops today (on a different matter) and was advised
    >> that they no longer price-match. Of course, it may still be worth
    >> asking - nothing ventured nothing gained. They do still off a
    >> 30-day no quibble returns policy.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > i have found the same lens locally (norwich,uk) for £277.99.
    > £50.00 cheaper than jessops £339.99,
    > funny really as i have never heard of the other place, and it seems
    > to have been there for a long while.
    > just came across it after doing a search on google. the company is
    > http://www.warehouseexpress.com
    > direct link for the lens is
    > http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/lenses/popups/Sigmalens_105mm.html

    I have dealt with warehouseexpress before and had satisfactory service.
    Of course, dealing over the Internet makes it more complicated to return
    goods rather than delaing with your local shop.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 9, 2007
  7. banjo

    wrote in message news:Fh5zh.8832$...
    > banjo wrote:
    >> "David J Taylor"
    >> <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:7f3zh.8715$...
    >>> wrote:
    >>> []
    >>>
    >>> FYI:
    >>>
    >>> I spoke with Jessops today (on a different matter) and was advised
    >>> that they no longer price-match. Of course, it may still be worth
    >>> asking - nothing ventured nothing gained. They do still off a
    >>> 30-day no quibble returns policy.
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>>

    >> i have found the same lens locally (norwich,uk) for £277.99.
    >> £50.00 cheaper than jessops £339.99,
    >> funny really as i have never heard of the other place, and it seems
    >> to have been there for a long while.
    >> just came across it after doing a search on google. the company is
    >> http://www.warehouseexpress.com
    >> direct link for the lens is
    >> http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/lenses/popups/Sigmalens_105mm.html

    > I have dealt with warehouseexpress before and had satisfactory service. Of
    > course, dealing over the Internet makes it more complicated to return
    > goods rather than delaing with your local shop.
    >
    > David

    if i do go for one of these lens, then i will see if i can pick it up, its
    only 3 miles from mine.

    banjo, Feb 10, 2007