Buying a laptop for overseas

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 10, 2004.

  1. I know you guys are going to be able to help with this dilemma.

    A friend of mine is going back home to England and wants to buy his mom a
    laptop primarily for emailing back and forth. He lives in Canada and wants
    to save the searching around time etc while in England hunting down a laptop
    for her because he only plans to spend a week there with his wife visiting
    family etc etc.

    He wondered if it would be possible to purchase a laptop here and take it
    with him to England to give it to his mom. The electricity is the
    question. I know laptops are used for travel/business etc. This works
    because of battery pack etc but is it possible to work with an adapter
    permanently or a permanent plug in etc for this situation. My husband and I
    took our laptop to St. Lucia (similar electricity as England) and we did use
    an adapter.

    Any wise advise would greatly be appreciated. I've never had you guys NOT
    come up with a great plan yet.

    thanks again in advance
    Chris

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 10, 2004

  2. Steve & Chris Clark

    Unk Guest

    http://www.esf.org/esf_genericpage.php?section=2&genericpage=1132
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=980-0446

    Unk, Apr 10, 2004

  3. On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:13:03 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
    <> wrote:

    >I know you guys are going to be able to help with this dilemma.

    The adaptor should have the voltage range on it. I'm using a Toshiba
    laptop at the moment and the AC adaptor has a range of 100v to 240v. I
    travel from the U.S. to Europe regularly and I've yet to find a
    problem using any of my laptops.

    Shane Matthews, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Steve & Chris Clark

    Hamman Guest

    "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message
    > I know you guys are going to be able to help with this dilemma.
    >
    > A friend of mine is going back home to England and wants to buy his mom a
    > laptop primarily for emailing back and forth. He lives in Canada and

    wants
    > to save the searching around time etc while in England hunting down a

    laptop
    > for her because he only plans to spend a week there with his wife visiting
    > family etc etc.
    >
    > He wondered if it would be possible to purchase a laptop here and take it
    > with him to England to give it to his mom. The electricity is the
    > question. I know laptops are used for travel/business etc. This works
    > because of battery pack etc but is it possible to work with an adapter
    > permanently or a permanent plug in etc for this situation. My husband and

    > took our laptop to St. Lucia (similar electricity as England) and we did

    use
    > an adapter.
    >
    > Any wise advise would greatly be appreciated. I've never had you guys NOT
    > come up with a great plan yet.
    >
    > thanks again in advance
    > Chris

    Most laptop power packs are auto-sensing theese days, and all tht is
    required is a different 'plug cable' than goes between the wall outlet and
    the adapter.

    Have you considered going to say www.dabs.com and ordering the laptop to be
    directly deleivered to the persons address in the UK?

    If you/friend brings a laptop into the UK rememebr it is subject to the
    relevant taxes.

    hamman

    Hamman, Apr 10, 2004
  5. thanks..actually mine is a Toshiba also....
    thank you for the info

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 10, 2004
  6. this is the best news yet...I was actually wondering if this was now the
    case.

    thanks
    Chris

    "Hamman" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message
    > > I know you guys are going to be able to help with this dilemma.
    > >
    > > A friend of mine is going back home to England and wants to buy his mom

    > > laptop primarily for emailing back and forth. He lives in Canada and

    > wants
    > > to save the searching around time etc while in England hunting down a

    > laptop
    > > for her because he only plans to spend a week there with his wife

    visiting
    > > family etc etc.
    > >
    > > He wondered if it would be possible to purchase a laptop here and take

    it
    > > with him to England to give it to his mom. The electricity is the
    > > question. I know laptops are used for travel/business etc. This works
    > > because of battery pack etc but is it possible to work with an adapter
    > > permanently or a permanent plug in etc for this situation. My husband

    and
    > > took our laptop to St. Lucia (similar electricity as England) and we did

    > use
    > > an adapter.
    > >
    > > Any wise advise would greatly be appreciated. I've never had you guys

    NOT
    > > come up with a great plan yet.
    > >
    > > thanks again in advance
    > > Chris
    > >

    > Most laptop power packs are auto-sensing theese days, and all tht is
    > required is a different 'plug cable' than goes between the wall outlet and
    > the adapter.
    >
    > Have you considered going to say www.dabs.com and ordering the laptop to

    be
    > directly deleivered to the persons address in the UK?
    >
    > If you/friend brings a laptop into the UK rememebr it is subject to the
    > relevant taxes.
    >
    > hamman

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 10, 2004
  7. Steve & Chris Clark

    one_red_eye Guest

    > I know you guys are going to be able to help with this dilemma.
    >
    > A friend of mine is going back home to England and wants to buy his mom a
    > laptop primarily for emailing back and forth. He lives in Canada and

    wants
    > to save the searching around time etc while in England hunting down a

    laptop
    > for her because he only plans to spend a week there with his wife visiting
    > family etc etc.
    >
    > He wondered if it would be possible to purchase a laptop here and take it
    > with him to England to give it to his mom. The electricity is the
    > question. I know laptops are used for travel/business etc. This works
    > because of battery pack etc but is it possible to work with an adapter
    > permanently or a permanent plug in etc for this situation. My husband and

    > took our laptop to St. Lucia (similar electricity as England) and we did

    use
    > an adapter.
    >
    > Any wise advise would greatly be appreciated. I've never had you guys NOT
    > come up with a great plan yet.
    >
    > thanks again in advance
    > Chris
    >

    > ---

    I've been happy with my Desknote A929. The tech support and warrantee are
    pretty good. I used it while I was in Iraq. The adapter ranges from
    110V-240V. The only disadvantage it the battery is external and costs an
    extra $100 USD (the battery in unnecessary if its going to be used as a
    stationary desktop). Base price with WinXP Home is about $870 USD.

    http://www.actonlinestore.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1422 for Athlon version
    http://www.actonlinestore.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1265 for Intel P4 version
    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 10, 2004
  8. Steve & Chris Clark

    sig666 Guest

    Hamman wrote:
    > "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I know you guys are going to be able to help with this dilemma.
    >>
    >>A friend of mine is going back home to England and wants to buy his mom a
    >>laptop primarily for emailing back and forth. He lives in Canada and

    > wants
    >
    >>to save the searching around time etc while in England hunting down a

    > laptop
    >
    >>for her because he only plans to spend a week there with his wife visiting
    >>family etc etc.
    >>
    >>He wondered if it would be possible to purchase a laptop here and take it
    >>with him to England to give it to his mom. The electricity is the
    >>question. I know laptops are used for travel/business etc. This works
    >>because of battery pack etc but is it possible to work with an adapter
    >>permanently or a permanent plug in etc for this situation. My husband and

    >>took our laptop to St. Lucia (similar electricity as England) and we did

    > use
    >
    >>an adapter.
    >>
    >>Any wise advise would greatly be appreciated. I've never had you guys NOT
    >>come up with a great plan yet.
    >>
    >>thanks again in advance
    >>Chris
    >>

    > Most laptop power packs are auto-sensing theese days, and all tht is
    > required is a different 'plug cable' than goes between the wall outlet and
    > the adapter.
    >
    > Have you considered going to say www.dabs.com and ordering the laptop to be
    > directly deleivered to the persons address in the UK?
    >
    > If you/friend brings a laptop into the UK rememebr it is subject to the
    > relevant taxes.
    >
    > hamman

    Actually if asked you can just say it is your laptop. You likely would
    not even be asked. Just leave the retail packaging at home. Thus no
    taxes and a lesser USA price.

    sig666, Apr 10, 2004
  9. sig666 wrote:

    > Hamman wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message

    <<snip discussion of mains convertors, cables, etc>>

    >> If you/friend brings a laptop into the UK rememebr it is subject to the
    >> relevant taxes.
    >>
    >> hamman
    >>

    > Actually if asked you can just say it is your laptop. You likely would
    > not even be asked. Just leave the retail packaging at home. Thus no
    > taxes and a lesser USA price.

    Just load a wallpaper of your kids (or some-one's kids...). Works a
    treat (hope there are no customs guys reading this...) not only in the
    UK but all over the World.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 10, 2004
  10. Steve & Chris Clark

    sig666 Guest

    Palindr?me wrote:
    > sig666 wrote:
    >
    >> Hamman wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    > <<snip discussion of mains convertors, cables, etc>>
    >
    >>> If you/friend brings a laptop into the UK rememebr it is subject to the
    >>> relevant taxes.
    >>>
    >>> hamman
    >>>

    >> Actually if asked you can just say it is your laptop. You likely would
    >> not even be asked. Just leave the retail packaging at home. Thus no
    >> taxes and a lesser USA price.

    > Just load a wallpaper of your kids (or some-one's kids...). Works a
    > treat (hope there are no customs guys reading this...) not only in the
    > UK but all over the World.

    There you go.

    sig666, Apr 11, 2004
  11. these are all great bits of advise....I'll pass it all on....
    thanks very much everyone
    Chris

    "one_red_eye" <> wrote in message
    > "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in message
    > > I know you guys are going to be able to help with this dilemma.
    > >
    > > A friend of mine is going back home to England and wants to buy his mom

    > > laptop primarily for emailing back and forth. He lives in Canada and

    > wants
    > > to save the searching around time etc while in England hunting down a

    > laptop
    > > for her because he only plans to spend a week there with his wife

    visiting
    > > family etc etc.
    > >
    > > He wondered if it would be possible to purchase a laptop here and take

    it
    > > with him to England to give it to his mom. The electricity is the
    > > question. I know laptops are used for travel/business etc. This works
    > > because of battery pack etc but is it possible to work with an adapter
    > > permanently or a permanent plug in etc for this situation. My husband

    and
    > > took our laptop to St. Lucia (similar electricity as England) and we did

    > use
    > > an adapter.
    > >
    > > Any wise advise would greatly be appreciated. I've never had you guys

    NOT
    > > come up with a great plan yet.
    > >
    > > thanks again in advance
    > > Chris
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > I've been happy with my Desknote A929. The tech support and warrantee are
    > pretty good. I used it while I was in Iraq. The adapter ranges from
    > 110V-240V. The only disadvantage it the battery is external and costs an
    > extra $100 USD (the battery in unnecessary if its going to be used as a
    > stationary desktop). Base price with WinXP Home is about $870 USD.
    >
    > http://www.actonlinestore.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1422 for Athlon version
    > http://www.actonlinestore.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1265 for Intel P4 version
    > --
    > I saw Elvis. He sat between
    > me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    ---

    Steve & Chris Clark, Apr 11, 2004
  12. I am a Canadian living in the UK and using a Toshiba purchased in
    Canada. No problems whatsoever. Only need a converter for the power
    supply to convert from two pin to the UK 3 pin configuration. Laptop
    power supply are "universal" voltage and frequency.

    Edward W. Thompson, Apr 12, 2004
  13. excellent
    Thank you very much

    "Edward W. Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > I am a Canadian living in the UK and using a Toshiba purchased in
    > Canada. No problems whatsoever. Only need a converter for the power
    > supply to convert from two pin to the UK 3 pin configuration. Laptop
    > power supply are "universal" voltage and frequency.
    >
    > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:50:25 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >these are all great bits of advise....I'll pass it all on....
    > >thanks very much everyone
    > >Chris
    > >
    > >"one_red_eye" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Steve & Chris Clark" <> wrote in

    message

    mom
    > >> wants
    > >> laptop

    > >visiting

    take
    > >it

    works

    adapter

    husband
    > >and

    did
    > >> use

    guys
    > >NOT

    > >> I've been happy with my Desknote A929. The tech support and warrantee

    are
    > >> pretty good. I used it while I was in Iraq. The adapter ranges from
    > >> 110V-240V. The only disadvantage it the battery is external and costs

    an
    > >> extra $100 USD (the battery in unnecessary if its going to be used as a
    > >> stationary desktop). Base price with WinXP Home is about $870 USD.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.actonlinestore.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1422 for Athlon version
    > >> http://www.actonlinestore.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1265 for Intel P4

    version
    > >> --