    disproportionate amounts of shit that will create work and a dogshit smell?
    Is the Sydney climate suitable?

    Any experiences and opions are greatly appreciated...
    ]v[etaphoid, Aug 6, 2006

  2. ]v[etaphoid

    Stickems. Guest

    It is cruel to keep a dog in the average house. You need a very large garden
    and a purpose built kennel. You should also have at least two dogs, one of
    each sex.

    Stickems., Aug 6, 2006

  3. ]v[etaphoid

    nancy Guest

    "]v[etaphoid" <]v[> didn't ask about the
    significance of the number 42 in the Hitchhikers' Guide to the
    Galaxy series, but DID present the following for evaluation in
    alt.pets.dogs.labrador:

    > Have decided to buy a dog to keep she-that-must-be-obeyed happy
    > and further the happy family environment of our new home. We're
    > looking at a golden retriever or labrador, largely on the basis of
    > looks and their friendly, intelligent temperament. It will also be
    > a bonus that they are a decent enough size to deter would be
    > undesirables.
    >
    > I am concerned that they may not be ideal in a number of ways. How
    > often must they be exercised? Will our typical suburban backyard
    > (800 square meter property) be big enough? Do they eat excessively
    > and produce disproportionate amounts of shit that will create work
    > and a dogshit smell? Is the Sydney climate suitable?
    >
    > Any experiences and opions are greatly appreciated...

    Both breeds are extremely active, require a great deal of exercise.
    The yardage is fine for keeping them when no one's about, but expect
    to be taking them for romps to the park, on hikes, and to play
    interminable games of fetch. Training is a must. If you get a dog,
    enroll yourselves, all of you, in classes to learn how to train
    yourselves to train your dog.

    For both breeds, if you have an accessible swimming pool, that would
    be ideal. If you do not, consider getting a small plastic play pool,
    a child's wading pool, and keep it filled with water during the hot
    months, in a shaded location.

    Labs tend to eat voraciously, and have a reputation of being
    bottomless pits if you don't watch them. I've seen tragic cases of
    both breeds being obese, because loving, well-meaning, yet moronic
    care givers feed them too much, and give them too many treats, and
    fail to exercise them properly.

    Goldies have the rep of sharing one braincell among the entire
    population of goldies, but that's simply because they are so playful
    and like to act "dumb." They are quite clever. They, too, will eat
    a lot.

    Expect to clean up the yard twice or three times a week. You risk
    fly infestations, and, yes, it smells like shit.

    Both breeds are "double coated" and shed copiously twice a year, in
    vast amounts, and regularly year 'round. "Double coat" means there is
    an under coat of very fine, soft, warm fur and an overlaying coat of
    courser, more water-resistant fur. Both coats get replaced. Expect
    to be sweeping up doghair dustbunnies every day, unless you really
    like fur all over your house. Goldies have the very long silky hair
    and it becomes matted fairly easily. Expect to brush them daily if
    you want to avoid skin infections.

    Expect to clean their ears a lot, if they do have access to water.
    Their ears flap over and retain the water/moisture that they get in
    them, inviting infection.

    I do not know the Sydney climate, but I live in the desert southwest
    of the US, which has very hot summers, and warm, moist winters. The
    dogs do well, provided they have shade and water.

    Another poster suggested you get two, male and female. I usually
    have two dogs, simply because they do keep one another well-exercised
    and keep one another company, but the sex does not matter. I prefer
    females. All my dogs are spayed (or neutered when I have a male). I
    dislike the tendency of males to mark things, and they tend to
    "dominate" other animals by humping more often than do females, in my
    experience. I dislike that behavior as well.

    If you're not familiar with dogs, have not kept any, then maybe a
    large- or medium-breed dog as active as the lab or goldie is not a
    good choice. I see more rescue animals coming from people who
    thought that having a lab would be "neat" ...

    There are many intelligent, friendly breeds, some of which are more
    laid back, smaller, and better suited for those who've rarely or
    never had a dog as a companion before.

    --
    nancy

    A boss is a personal dictator appointed to those of us fortunate
    enough to live in free societies. (from the Cynic's Dictionary)
    nancy, Aug 6, 2006
  4. ]v[etaphoid

    Dr. Bill Guest

    ]v[etaphoid wrote:
    > Have decided to buy a dog to keep she-that-must-be-obeyed happy and
    > further the happy family environment of our new home. We're looking
    > at a golden retriever or labrador, largely on the basis of
    > looks and their friendly, intelligent temperament. It will also be a
    > bonus that they are a decent enough size to deter would be
    > undesirables.

    Buy an old and lazy retriever and call it *BuHane* !

    > I am concerned that they may not be ideal in a number of ways. How
    > often must they be exercised? Will our typical suburban backyard (800
    > square meter property) be big enough? Do they eat excessively and
    > produce disproportionate amounts of shit that will create work and a
    > dogshit smell? Is the Sydney climate suitable?

    Mmmmm, smelly dogshit, eh!! in that case you better buy a pitbull and call
    it *Dustbin* then!

    Dr. Bill, Aug 6, 2006
  5. ]v[etaphoid

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Sun, 6 Aug 2006 23:37:58 +1000, an entity identified as
    "]v[etaphoid" <]v[> proudly proclaimed:

    >Have decided to buy a dog to keep she-that-must-be-obeyed happy and further
    >the happy family environment of our new home. We're looking at a golden
    >retriever or labrador, largely on the basis of
    >looks and their friendly, intelligent temperament. It will also be a bonus
    >that they are a decent enough size to deter would be undesirables.
    >
    >I am concerned that they may not be ideal in a number of ways. How often
    >must they be exercised? Will our typical suburban backyard (800 square meter
    >property) be big enough? Do they eat excessively and produce
    >disproportionate amounts of shit that will create work and a dogshit smell?
    >Is the Sydney climate suitable?
    >
    >Any experiences and opions are greatly appreciated...

    Get a cat.
    Frosty, Aug 6, 2006
  6. ]v[etaphoid

    Pat Guest

    > Have decided to buy a dog to keep she-that-must-be-obeyed happy and
    > further the happy family environment of our new home. We're looking at a
    > golden retriever or labrador, largely on the basis of
    > looks and their friendly, intelligent temperament. It will also be a bonus
    > that they are a decent enough size to deter would be undesirables.
    >
    > I am concerned that they may not be ideal in a number of ways. How often
    > must they be exercised? Will our typical suburban backyard (800 square
    > meter property) be big enough? Do they eat excessively and produce
    > disproportionate amounts of shit that will create work and a dogshit
    > smell? Is the Sydney climate suitable?
    >
    > Any experiences and opions are greatly appreciated...

    Sorry 'she that should be obeyed' is not a good enough reason to get a dog.
    I am sure if you do that you will be at logger heads over the dog.
    Example~ mainly if it does something you do not approve of.
    Yet again you may love the dog to bits.
    I would hope the second one would apply, not sure that would be the case.
    Pat.
    Pat, Aug 6, 2006
  7. Dr. Bill wrote:

    > Mmmmm, smelly dogshit, eh!! in that case you better buy a pitbull and
    > call it *Dustbin* then!

    Dustbin isn't the name for a pitbull, Dr. Bill, it's the name for one of
    those annoying little yippy dogs.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
    that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Aug 6, 2006
  8. ]v[etaphoid

    Ebbtide Guest

    > Have decided to buy a dog to keep she-that-must-be-obeyed happy and
    > further the happy family environment of our new home. We're looking at a
    > golden retriever or labrador, largely on the basis of
    > looks and their friendly, intelligent temperament. It will also be a bonus
    > that they are a decent enough size to deter would be undesirables.
    >
    > I am concerned that they may not be ideal in a number of ways. How often
    > must they be exercised? Will our typical suburban backyard (800 square
    > meter property) be big enough? Do they eat excessively and produce
    > disproportionate amounts of shit that will create work and a dogshit
    > smell? Is the Sydney climate suitable?
    >
    > Any experiences and opions are greatly appreciated...

    Dogs are like kids, they take time, love understanding, exercise and then
    STILL they may not obey. Do not take this purchase (or preferably an
    adoption) lightly. They are lots of work. Don't forget the vet/food expense,
    unexpected illnesses or injuries, boarding if one goes on vacation or
    holiday, shedding, eating, cleaning up poop, a large fenced in area to run
    if it is a large dog, shelter, shade outside if it is going to be out for
    any length of time. it goes on and on. All my dogs have been part of the
    family, and are definitely a priority, IIt hasto be that way in order to
    succeed with them. A small dog may be easier and less work, or even a cat.

    Ebbtide, Aug 6, 2006
  9. "Stickems." <> ha scritto
    > It is cruel to keep a dog in the average house. You need a very large
    > garden
    > and a purpose built kennel. You should also have at least two dogs, one of
    > each sex.

    sorry, the first part of your post is nonsense.

    labs are social dogs. java likes far better living close to me in this flat
    than alone in a park.
    many labs left alone can begin to lick paws to the bone. j herself does,
    when left alone for just some hours.

    labs just need lots of exercise. avarage for j is 2 hours walk/play/swim a
    day. but she'd like more.

    a couple dogs can be a relief, they keep company to each other. but most
    labs i see get bored nonetheless. right or wrong, many prefers having people
    around than dogs.

    btw, usually they're no use as watchdogs. big black males can be often
    mistaken for rotweilers, but they happily welcome any visitors, esp if
    feeding them.

    --
    ciao, a.
    http://www.sundaysw.com
    andrea palazzi, Aug 6, 2006
  10. ]v[etaphoid

    Clogwog Guest

    Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    > Dr. Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Mmmmm, smelly dogshit, eh!! in that case you better buy a pitbull and
    >> call it *Dustbin* then!

    > Dustbin isn't the name for a pitbull, Dr. Bill, it's the name for one
    > of those annoying little yippy dogs.

    Mmm, pittbulls are the most stoopid dogs on this planet, they grab a bone
    and won't let it go, untill their heads are chopped off. Dustbins head was
    chopped off by K-man , so to speak, (The "NTFS is greatly slowed if your
    reading/writing to compressed files." bullshit) and he hasn't replied yet!
    No, a stupid pittbull he is! But let's wait, he is always rewriting history!
    He might come back to add more self nukes to an on going list of idiocy and
    fuckwittery!
    Clogwog, Aug 6, 2006
  11. Clogwog wrote:
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk wrote:
    >> Dr. Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mmmmm, smelly dogshit, eh!! in that case you better buy a pitbull
    >>> and call it *Dustbin* then!

    >> Dustbin isn't the name for a pitbull, Dr. Bill, it's the name for one
    >> of those annoying little yippy dogs.

    > Mmm, pittbulls are the most stoopid dogs on this planet,

    Check.

    > they grab a
    > bone and won't let it go, untill their heads are chopped off.
    > Dustbins head was chopped off by K-man , so to speak, (The "NTFS is
    > greatly slowed if your reading/writing to compressed files."
    > bullshit) and he hasn't replied yet!

    Check.

    > No, a stupid pittbull he is!

    How about a pit bull/chihuahua cross?

    > But
    > let's wait, he is always rewriting history! He might come back to add
    > more self nukes to an on going list of idiocy and fuckwittery!

    I don't think that once one self-immolates to ash that it's possible to
    burn more.

    Then again, if anyone can, I guess Dustbin's the guy.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Aug 6, 2006
  12. ]v[etaphoid

    Max Penn Guest

    "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <> wrote in message
    > Dr. Bill wrote:
    >
    > > Mmmmm, smelly dogshit, eh!! in that case you better buy a pitbull and
    > > call it *Dustbin* then!

    > Dustbin isn't the name for a pitbull, Dr. Bill, it's the name for one of
    > those annoying little yippy dogs.
    >
    > --
    > Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Unless it's one of those long haired little yippy dogs, then you name it
    dustmop. But....then wouldn't the pitbull be properly named dustbin if it
    eats the little yippy dog? Canine cannibalism is not a pretty thought.
    Forget I said anything.

    Max
    Max Penn, Aug 7, 2006
  13. On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 23:37:58 +1000, "]v[etaphoid"
    <]v[> wrote:

    >Have decided to buy a dog to keep she-that-must-be-obeyed happy and further
    >the happy family environment of our new home. We're looking at a golden
    >retriever or labrador, largely on the basis of
    >looks and their friendly, intelligent temperament. It will also be a bonus
    >that they are a decent enough size to deter would be undesirables.
    >
    >I am concerned that they may not be ideal in a number of ways. How often
    >must they be exercised?

    A Labrador would probably need exercise at least once per day either
    down the local park or at least chasing a ball or a stick in the
    backyard.

    >Will our typical suburban backyard (800 square meter
    >property) be big enough?

    The size of your backyard probably isn't all that important because
    the dog will probably sit there waiting for you or whoever usually
    exercises him/her daily down the park.

    >Do they eat excessively and produce
    >disproportionate amounts of shit that will create work and a dogshit smell?
    >Is the Sydney climate suitable?

    They like to eat far more than you should provide, meaning that you
    will need to watch how much you feed to save it being overweight.
    You'll have to cleanup once per day and if your family uses the
    backyard too, more frequent cleanups might be necessary.
    I'm not in Sydney but I wouldn't expect any problems with the Sydney
    climate.

    Labradors lose hair all year round so they need brushing and combing
    but there is more of an abundance of hair loss when they lose their
    winter coat as summer approaches that will cause the need for more
    vacuuming if the dog is an inside dog.

    >Any experiences and opions are greatly appreciated...

    A couple of links where many unasked questions may be answered. :)

    http://www.rspca.org.au/
    http://www.rspca.org.au/animal/advice_basics.asp
    http://www.rspca.org.au/animal/petcare_dog.asp
    --

    John
    John Morrison, Aug 7, 2006
  14. ]v[etaphoid

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Sun, 06 Aug 2006 18:45:14 GMT, an entity identified as
    "Ebbtide" <> proudly proclaimed:

    Frosty, Aug 7, 2006
  15. ]v[etaphoid

    Jan Guest

    In article <44d5f007$0$21275$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    01.iinet.net.au>, ]v[ says...
    > Have decided to buy a dog to keep she-that-must-be-obeyed happy and further
    > the happy family environment of our new home. We're looking at a golden
    > retriever or labrador, largely on the basis of
    > looks and their friendly, intelligent temperament. It will also be a bonus
    > that they are a decent enough size to deter would be undesirables.
    >
    > I am concerned that they may not be ideal in a number of ways. How often
    > must they be exercised? Will our typical suburban backyard (800 square meter
    > property) be big enough? Do they eat excessively and produce
    > disproportionate amounts of shit that will create work and a dogshit smell?
    > Is the Sydney climate suitable?
    >
    > Any experiences and opions are greatly appreciated...

    Something is telling me you aren't ready for a dog......
    --

    Cheers!

    Jan
    Jan, Aug 7, 2006
  16. Blinky the Shark, Aug 7, 2006
  17. ]v[etaphoid

    Respondant Guest

    Max Penn wrote:

    > "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <> wrote in message
    >> Dr. Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mmmmm, smelly dogshit, eh!! in that case you better buy a pitbull
    >>> and call it *Dustbin* then!

    >> Dustbin isn't the name for a pitbull, Dr. Bill, it's the name for
    >> one of those annoying little yippy dogs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rhonda Lea Kirk
    >>

    > Unless it's one of those long haired little yippy dogs, then you name
    > it dustmop.

    Hey! I own one of those long haired little dogs but she's not yippy. I
    trained her not to be. I will admit though, that she does make for a
    wonderful dustmop on the tile and linoleum floors around the house.

    http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=winnie026nc1.jpg

    > But....then wouldn't the pitbull be properly named
    > dustbin if it eats the little yippy dog?

    The pitbill would be properly shot dead, and *placed* in the dustbin if it
    tried eating *my* dog.

    > Canine cannibalism is not a
    > pretty thought. Forget I said anything.

    OK. Glad to see you've come to your senses.

    On a side note? I would highly recommend any animal loving single male who
    is in the market for a dog, to forget the Rottie/Pit Bull type and aquire
    one of these small breeds. They are babe-magnets I tell ya. I kid you not.
    The only 'accessory' women seem to adore more on a man than a baby, is a
    cute little dog. Don't believe me? Try before you buy then. Borrow one
    from somebody and tote it around for a day. You'll see. If you are even
    remotely attractive, you'll have more women approach you that day then ever
    before. Go walking around with a Rottie or a Pit Bull though, and most will
    run the other way.

    Fat lot of good this knowledge does me since I'm married, but I thought I'd
    share my discovery with those of you there's still hope for. ;-)
    Respondant, Aug 7, 2006
  18. ]v[etaphoid

    Dan Evans Guest

    > I am concerned that they may not be ideal in a number of ways. How often
    > must they be exercised?

    My lab normally used to get a couple of miles a day, and 6 to 8 on saturdays
    and sunday - sometimes more. The occasional day off didn't bother her too
    much

    > Will our typical suburban backyard (800 square meter property) be big
    > enough?

    For running around and doing dog things that sounds fine.

    > Do they eat excessively

    A labrador will eat constantly given the chance, but on the plus side they
    aren't too fussy about what they eat, this could be a downside as well.

    > and produce disproportionate amounts of shit

    Shit increases with the amount of food

    > that will create work and a dogshit smell?

    You're always going to have a dogshit smell. Not stepping in it/driving
    through it will help. Piss will get you everytime though. If they whizz on
    concrete etc, it'll start humming a couple of days after washing it down.
    Grass/earth won't really cause a smell problem.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Aug 7, 2006
  19. ]v[etaphoid

    Dan Evans Guest

    > We're looking at a golden retriever or labrador,

    I forgot to mention, Labradors tend not to jump, unless it's into water, so
    high fencing isn't neccesary with them - I've lost count the number of times
    I've had to pick Labs up (and Spaniels) to get them over a fence on a shoot.
    I can't say about Golden Retreivers as I've never had or worked one.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Aug 7, 2006
  20. ]v[etaphoid

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Respondant" <> wrote in message
    > Max Penn wrote:

    > http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?image=winnie026nc1.jpg

    Argghh - bow in the hair! My Podenco goes beserk when he sees little dogs
    with ribbons. I dunno where he got it from (he was a rescue), but I can't
    fault his taste.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Aug 7, 2006