    customer services would all be useful to know....

    thanks in advance

    Chris
    Chris, May 11, 2004

  2. Chris wrote:

    > Hello you........
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of you
    > had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    > Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    > customer services would all be useful to know....
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Chris

    Why Sony????

    Have a look at www.dpreview.com

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    Jeroen Wijnands, May 11, 2004

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    message news:40a0cc94$0$561$4all.nl...
    > Chris wrote:
    >
    > > Hello you........
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of

    you
    > > had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    > > Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    > > customer services would all be useful to know....
    > >
    > > thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >

    > Why Sony????
    >
    > Have a look at www.dpreview.com

    Thanks Jeroen ......

    Why Sony? had them in the past and like the OS......do you have other
    recommendations?

    Chris
    Chris, May 11, 2004
  4. Chris

    Joe Guest

    i found the dixons group quite cheap for the sony DSCP72 £163 (special
    online price) quite a good price and you can take the camera back within 14
    days into the store rather than sending it through the post. found the
    DSCP92 £188 as well somewhere lost it now though sorry. the metal bodied P
    series or something is quite more expensive and can't see the point unless
    you want it for fashion (more likely to be scratched as well i think.

    www.ebuyer.co.uk is good for the sony memory cards
    Joe, May 11, 2004
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > i found the dixons group quite cheap for the sony DSCP72 £163 (special
    > online price) quite a good price and you can take the camera back within

    14
    > days into the store rather than sending it through the post. found the
    > DSCP92 £188 as well somewhere lost it now though sorry. the metal bodied P
    > series or something is quite more expensive and can't see the point unless
    > you want it for fashion (more likely to be scratched as well i think.
    >
    > www.ebuyer.co.uk is good for the sony memory cards

    great - thanks Joe
    Chris, May 11, 2004
  6. Chris

    zaax Guest

    In article <f94oc.308$>, Chris
    <> writes
    >"Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    >message news:40a0cc94$0$561$4all.nl...
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello you........
    >> >
    >> > I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of

    >you
    >> > had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    >> > Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    >> > customer services would all be useful to know....
    >> >
    >> > thanks in advance
    >> >
    >> > Chris
    >> >

    >> Why Sony????
    >>
    >> Have a look at www.dpreview.com
    >>

    >Thanks Jeroen ......
    >
    >Why Sony? had them in the past and like the OS......do you have other
    >recommendations?

    Just brought a Canon A70 (Argos £199). Very good picture and it takes
    movies with sound (good for places where sound and movement is part of
    the scene). Also don't forget you will need a large memory card and more
    batteries and charger
    --
    Steve
    zaax, May 11, 2004
  7. Chris

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote:

    >Hello you........
    >
    >I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of you
    >had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    >Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    >customer services would all be useful to know....
    >
    >thanks in advance
    >
    >Chris

    I recently purchased a digital camera. After checking the available
    models I chose a Fujifilm Finepix S3000.

    For me the deciding factors were:
    - price
    - the 6x optical zoom
    - "through the lens" viewfinder, meaning the picture is exactly what
    you see in the viewfinder. Most digital cameras have a separate
    viewfinder which means the actual picture is offset slightly from the
    viewfinder image.

    The 3.2 megapixel images are adequate for what I plan on using the
    camera for, as I do not intend to make prints larger than 5 x 7.

    Good luck with your selection.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, May 11, 2004
  8. Chris

    Joe Guest

    http://www.digital-point.co.uk/ for the sony camera, i can't vouge for them
    as i've never used them. They are based in Birmingham, might want to phone
    them up first and ask where else they advertise as I couldn't find them at
    yell.com.
    Joe, May 11, 2004
  9. Chris

    Joe Guest

    I've got a 3.2 as well, saw a same spec camera but with 5 mega pixels
    instead for £30 extra, but as i'd never heard of the store i stuck with the
    3.2 from known source.
    Joe, May 11, 2004
  10. Chris

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 17:31:07 GMT, Ron Martell <>
    scribbled:

    >"Chris" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello you........
    >>
    >>I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of you
    >>had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    >>Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    >>customer services would all be useful to know....
    >>
    >>thanks in advance
    >>
    >>Chris
    >>

    >I recently purchased a digital camera. After checking the available
    >models I chose a Fujifilm Finepix S3000.
    >
    >For me the deciding factors were:
    >- price
    >- the 6x optical zoom
    >- "through the lens" viewfinder, meaning the picture is exactly what
    >you see in the viewfinder. Most digital cameras have a separate
    >viewfinder which means the actual picture is offset slightly from the
    >viewfinder image.
    >
    >The 3.2 megapixel images are adequate for what I plan on using the
    >camera for, as I do not intend to make prints larger than 5 x 7.

    You can easily get good quality 8x10s out of a 3 MP camera. I get
    good quality 8x10s with my 2 MP Kodak.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, May 11, 2004
  11. Chris

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:27:47 +0100, "Chris" <> wrote
    in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >Hello you........
    >
    >I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of you
    >had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    >Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    >customer services would all be useful to know....

    I suggest you avoid Sony and buy a camera from a real camera company.
    Shel-hed, May 11, 2004
  12. Chris

    Nick Withers Guest

    After using a 2mp Dolphin for 6 months I lashed out and bought a 4 mp Lumix
    DMC-LC43 after a lot of on line research. I'm still not sure if I did the
    right thing but the price swayed me to buy the Panasonic! US $315.
    The little Dolphin was OK in good lighting conditions but I find the Lumix
    much more flexible. Also I like the Leica DC Vario-Elmarit lens.
    The new Lumix, very expensive, is almost identical to the new Leica.

    Nick Withers, May 11, 2004
  13. Chris

    george Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "Chris" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello you........
    > >
    > >I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of

    you
    > >had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    > >Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    > >customer services would all be useful to know....
    > >
    > >thanks in advance
    > >
    > >Chris
    > >

    > I recently purchased a digital camera. After checking the available
    > models I chose a Fujifilm Finepix S3000.
    >
    > For me the deciding factors were:
    > - price
    > - the 6x optical zoom
    > - "through the lens" viewfinder, meaning the picture is exactly what
    > you see in the viewfinder. Most digital cameras have a separate
    > viewfinder which means the actual picture is offset slightly from the
    > viewfinder image.
    >
    > The 3.2 megapixel images are adequate for what I plan on using the
    > camera for, as I do not intend to make prints larger than 5 x 7.
    >
    > Good luck with your selection.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    I got a Fujifilm Finepix 2650 with 2 megapixel and my son makes real good
    BW 11x17 pictures on regular paper with printer at his workplace.
    Not photo quality but closeups as big/bigger than life where you can see a
    single
    hair across a kids face and count the eye lashes, who cares, parents love
    them. (Free also)

    George Girard, Programmer/FiddlerArounder,
    Your Current Internet Information can be found here:
    http://www.canufly.net/~georgegg/Your.Current.Internet.Information
    http://www.canufly.net/~georgegg/dns/Dns.Whois.Nslookup
    george, May 11, 2004
  14. Chris

    Bryan Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Hello you........
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any
    > of you had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK
    > btw)...
    > Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    > customer services would all be useful to know....
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Chris

    Chris,
    You might also like to ask at:
    alt.consumers.uk-dicounts.and.bargains

    I too have a 3.1Mp camera and regulary print satisfacory 8 * 10

    --
    Nothing yet beats my Nikon F4s with Fuji Velvia film though :)
    Bryan, May 12, 2004
  15. Chris

    Bryan Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > Chris wrote:
    >> Hello you........
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any
    >> of you had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK
    >> btw)...
    >> Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    >> customer services would all be useful to know....
    >>
    >> thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Chris

    > Chris,
    > You might also like to ask at:
    > alt.consumers.uk-dicounts.and.bargains
    >
    > I too have a 3.1Mp camera and regulary print satisfacory 8 * 10

    regularly, satisfactory

    Late night typo's! Sorry
    Bryan, May 12, 2004
  16. Chris wrote:

    > "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    > message news:40a0cc94$0$561$4all.nl...
    >> Chris wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello you........
    >> >
    >> > I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of

    > you
    >> > had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    >> > Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    >> > customer services would all be useful to know....
    >> >
    >> > thanks in advance
    >> >
    >> > Chris
    >> >

    >> Why Sony????
    >>
    >> Have a look at www.dpreview.com
    >>

    > Thanks Jeroen ......
    >
    > Why Sony? had them in the past and like the OS......do you have other
    > recommendations?

    I've used Sony in the past too. Starting with that mavica that could
    write directly to floppy disk.

    In general I find the built quality, especially of the moving parts,
    mediocre at best. Also a lot of the memory stick models seem to me
    rather slow. I don't like that click,2,3,photo saved. According to the
    latest reviews they've finally solved that problem

    I take most of my pictures with a Nikon F60 but have recently purchased
    a Fuji A203 as an inexpensive camera for quick website and email pics.
    When I went shopping for that I noticed that the brands that have made
    cameras for years tend to understand them better.

    Take a Sony and compare that to a Canon and a Nikon in the same price
    range. Try to look beyond that funky menu interface. I find that the
    ergonomics of the latter two are a lot better. Picture quality seems to
    be better too, sony's whitebalance always seems to be a bit off to me.

    Which is why I gave you that URL, that site not only has rather good
    reviews but also sample pictures.

    Jeroen Wijnands, May 12, 2004
  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Bryan" <> wrote in message
    > Bryan wrote:
    > > Chris wrote:
    > >> Hello you........
    > >>
    > >> I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any
    > >> of you had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK
    > >> btw)...
    > >> Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    > >> customer services would all be useful to know....
    > >>
    > >> thanks in advance
    > >>
    > >> Chris

    > > Chris,
    > > You might also like to ask at:
    > > alt.consumers.uk-dicounts.and.bargains
    > >
    > > I too have a 3.1Mp camera and regulary print satisfacory 8 * 10

    > regularly, satisfactory
    >
    > Late night typo's! Sorry

    This is all very interesting - thanks everyone.
    Now I'm thinking about getting something other than a Sony....

    cheers
    Chris, May 12, 2004
  18. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Ron Martell <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Chris" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello you........
    > >
    > >I'm thinking of buying a camera (sony probably) and I wondered if any of you
    > >had any recommendations for buying online? (I'm in the UK btw)...
    > >Price, speed of delivery and time spent dicking around with numbskull
    > >customer services would all be useful to know....
    > >
    > >thanks in advance
    > >
    > >Chris
    > >

    > I recently purchased a digital camera. After checking the available
    > models I chose a Fujifilm Finepix S3000.
    >
    > For me the deciding factors were:
    > - price
    > - the 6x optical zoom
    > - "through the lens" viewfinder, meaning the picture is exactly what
    > you see in the viewfinder. Most digital cameras have a separate
    > viewfinder which means the actual picture is offset slightly from the
    > viewfinder image.
    >
    > The 3.2 megapixel images are adequate for what I plan on using the
    > camera for, as I do not intend to make prints larger than 5 x 7.
    >
    > Good luck with your selection.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Thanks again to all who advised me with this purchase. I did
    eventually settle for a Sony DSC P93 with a 256 memory stick pro from
    amazon....Seemed to be the best punch for the pound (£220 / 5.1
    mpixel)....

    Cheers for your help
    Chris, May 19, 2004