    affordable to buy a whole new computer instead of just a tower?

    Thanks for any help you can give.

    Maggi
    Maggi, Sep 4, 2006

  2. Maggi

    Bob Guest

    Maggi wrote:
    > I'm looking into buying a new computer since the tower I have is dying.
    > However, on a review I saw for an HP computer, the person complained
    > that the computer lacked the right devices for dial up use. I was just
    > wondering how I can know if a computer tower will work with dial
    > up...what ports or devices do I need to make sure it has? I noticed
    > that some comps don't have serial ports....is that what I need in order
    > to use dial up?
    >
    > Also, its just my tower that's going, but do you think it would be more
    > affordable to buy a whole new computer instead of just a tower?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give.
    >
    > Maggi

    All that's required for dialup is a modem and a phone line. If it's an
    internal modem you don't need a serial port.

    A computer system is made up of parts - computer (tower), monitor,
    keyboard, mouse, printer, etc. You can normally replace any part
    without replacing all the others.

    Your "tower" contains parts that can be replaced (there are a few
    exceptions for a few manufacturers however). The whole tower doesn't
    just die - however it can be too outdated to bother about fixing.
    Check with some of your computer literate friends, not with computer
    salespeople.

    Bob
    Bob, Sep 4, 2006

  3. Maggi

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Maggi" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking into buying a new computer since the tower I have is dying.
    > However, on a review I saw for an HP computer, the person complained
    > that the computer lacked the right devices for dial up use. I was just
    > wondering how I can know if a computer tower will work with dial
    > up...what ports or devices do I need to make sure it has? I noticed
    > that some comps don't have serial ports....is that what I need in order
    > to use dial up?
    >
    > Also, its just my tower that's going, but do you think it would be more
    > affordable to buy a whole new computer instead of just a tower?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give.

    I can't see why you would want dail up when you could get broadband
    which is at least 10 times faster for about the same price (or maybe
    less!!).
    It's like buying a Skoda when you could have a Ferrari for basicallly the
    same price.

    There tends to be a discount when you buy things bundled, but not always,
    and yoor choice is restricted. But only you can decide what you want!!
    Bazzer Smith, Sep 4, 2006
  4. Maggi

    Bob Guest

    Bazzer Smith wrote:

    > I can't see why you would want dail up when you could get broadband
    > which is at least 10 times faster for about the same price (or maybe
    > less!!).
    > It's like buying a Skoda when you could have a Ferrari for basicallly the
    > same price.

    If you're rural, more than 5-8 miles from the telephone central office,
    the only option you have is satellite. And since you can get dialup for
    $10 US, vs $50-$70 for satellite, cost can be a factor. No one thinks
    about us rural folks anymore.

    Bob
    Bob, Sep 4, 2006
  5. Maggi

    Karen Newton Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > If you're rural, more than 5-8 miles from the telephone central office,
    > the only option you have is satellite. And since you can get dialup for
    > $10 US, vs $50-$70 for satellite, cost can be a factor. No one thinks
    > about us rural folks anymore.

    And don't you need dial-up to send faxes?
    Karen Newton, Sep 4, 2006
  6. Maggi

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message

    > Bazzer Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> I can't see why you would want dail up when you could get broadband
    >> which is at least 10 times faster for about the same price (or maybe
    >> less!!).
    >> It's like buying a Skoda when you could have a Ferrari for basicallly the
    >> same price.
    >>

    > If you're rural, more than 5-8 miles from the telephone central office,
    > the only option you have is satellite. And since you can get dialup for
    > $10 US, vs $50-$70 for satellite, cost can be a factor. No one thinks
    > about us rural folks anymore.
    >
    > Bob

    Your talking about DSL. Do you have cable TV? If so have you checked with
    them to see if your cable provider offers High speed? If they do, it should
    be a package deal where you get the ISP and connection all in one. This is
    why it's often almost the same price and once you try high speed there is no
    comparison.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, Sep 4, 2006
  7. Maggi

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Maggi" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking into buying a new computer since the tower I have is dying.
    > However, on a review I saw for an HP computer, the person complained
    > that the computer lacked the right devices for dial up use. I was just
    > wondering how I can know if a computer tower will work with dial
    > up...what ports or devices do I need to make sure it has? I noticed
    > that some comps don't have serial ports....is that what I need in order
    > to use dial up?
    >
    > Also, its just my tower that's going, but do you think it would be more
    > affordable to buy a whole new computer instead of just a tower?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give.
    >
    > Maggi

    As cheap as they have become just buy a package. Every week you see them on
    sale. All you need for dial up is a modem. I doubt you would find one that
    does not have a modem built in. High speed is normally about the same price
    and is FAR better.
    Moderation is for monks."

    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, Sep 4, 2006
  8. Maggi

    Maggi Guest

    Fast internet connection isn't available to me. I live up on a dirt
    road and was told it would cost me $3,000 because they would need to
    put a line in for me to get te fast internet connection. I'd love to
    get broadband, but not only do I not want to pay all that money, but
    even if I didn't have to pay the $3,000, the broadband that I could get
    from my cable company is $50 a month and as a struggling Grad student,
    I don't have the finances.

    Maggi

    Maggi, Sep 4, 2006
  9. Maggi

    Maggi Guest

    My cable company's "package" offers broadband for $50 and while that
    may not seem like a lot to some people, not everyone has lots of money.
    .. I'd love to but financially speaking, I can't afford it right now.
    But if dial up is the worst thing to happen to me, then I'm okay. :)
    I'd LOVE to have broadband but alas, I just can't afford it right now.
    I even cut back on my cable just to save money.

    Maggi

    Maggi, Sep 4, 2006
  10. Maggi

    Uplink Guest

    Satellite is another alternative, it's expensive but not as much as a
    line would cost. DirectWAY (canadain) is a provider, two way satellite
    costs about $300 to get equipment and then it's $70/$80 a month.

    TELUS would be good for dial-up, they have good $14 month plans that
    are simple enough and include a free email address ().
    Otherwise if your in the US then I guess netzero or some other american
    provider0

    Uplink, Sep 4, 2006
  11. Maggi

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Ooops I kind of assumed your were in the UK, like me, after all we are the
    centre of the universe ;O)
    I pay £18 for 1 meg BB which works out at about $34, I used to pay about
    £15 for dial up which was about 20 times slower so it was a fairly easy
    decision
    for me to upgrade.

    The broadband business has became very competive in the UK recently, so
    some companys are even given it away free!! (If you sign up their telephone
    calls
    package, which typically costs £20, and that is meant to 8 meg BB, but you
    will be lucky to get a fraction of that in reality!!).

    It's unusual because everyyhing usually costs twice as much in the UK as the
    USA
    but I guess if your are in a remote area there will be problems.

    There might be other costs which might mitigate the cost of BB, for example
    never buy a newspaper anymore because I can get all the info on the net,
    That probably save me ~£7 a month. There might also be other savings in
    time etc..but I guess if it is over budget it is over budget. Dial up is OK
    for
    general surfing though. Another option would be to become really good at
    online
    poker so that it pays for you entire internet costs, as it does in my case!!
    I wouldn't recommend you trying though, you have to be extremely good to
    just to break even, and often people who are students think they will be
    good
    at poker because they are 'clever' but beleive me that are more than often
    sadly
    mistaken!!

    Anyway good luck, and I hope you can find a decent package that suits your
    budget.

    Bazzer Smith, Sep 5, 2006
  12. Maggi

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Maggi wrote:
    > Fast internet connection isn't available to me. I live up on a dirt
    > road and was told it would cost me $3,000 because they would need to
    > put a line in for me to get te fast internet connection. I'd love to
    > get broadband, but not only do I not want to pay all that money, but
    > even if I didn't have to pay the $3,000, the broadband that I could get
    > from my cable company is $50 a month and as a struggling Grad student,
    > I don't have the finances.
    >
    > Maggi

    I use dial-up while I am on the road in hotel rooms. I use BB while
    doing computer contracting on the client's site. Dial-up is not all that
    bad for sending email and reading some NG posts. The hotel has wireless
    BB. I find myself using the dial-up most of the time.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Sep 5, 2006