    Any information is important to me.

    Thankx, Kitty
    , Aug 30, 2006

  2. Mueen Nawaz Guest

    wrote:
    > O.K. I know hardly anything about cameras. I want to buy a digital
    > camera with at least 5px. and good zooming. And pay 2-300.00 dollars.

    5 pixels is awfully small...(just kidding).

    What do you mean by "good zoom"? Most have 3x. Some go as high as 10x.
    A few of the compact ones only have 2x.

    I'm guessing here, but generally if you want more than 3x, your camera
    won't be among the ultra compact ones.

    > I want to take pic inside, outside, anywhere, anytime. I'm so excited.

    How much do you care about size? The small compacts are convenient if
    you really want to be able to whip it out and take photos. Often,
    although not always, there is a tradeoff in some aspect
    (feature/quality) if you get one that's really small. It's best to go to
    some store, hold some, and decide.

    > So you can imagine how many pic. I'll be taking. So, I guess battery
    > life is important. Rechargeable batteries (maybe). I'm so uninformed

    All support rechargeable systems. I like cameras that can take AA
    NiMH's, as they can hold a lot of charge, and buying new spares is
    cheap. However, if your camera takes AA's, then it's not _that_ small.

    > about technology. If I have plug, can't I rechrge thru the electrical
    > outlet? Like the cell phone.

    If they use AA's, then no - you'll need a AA charger (don't get
    alkaline batteries). If it's Li, someone else will answer the question.<G>

    > I've read that optical Zoom is more important than digital Zoom. I've

    Yes. Digital zoom is more or less the same as zoom using software. It's
    no big deal if cameras have it or not.

    > read that Canon makes the best pic. I've had my eye on the A620. I
    > think I'd like the larger screen.

    Canon is good. As are a number of others. Don't limit yourself so soon.
    Check out http://www.dpreview.com for information.

    Other questions to consider:

    1) How many "manual" settings do you want (e.g. manual focus, aperture
    priority, shutter priority, etc)? When I bought my camera 5 years ago, I
    was hesitant to pay more to get these features - which I wasn't sure I'd
    ever use. Ultimately I decided to go for it in case I ever wanted it.
    I'm _really_ glad I did. (Hint: Not many people keep non-SLR's for 5
    years as their only camera).

    2) Do you want the option to add additional lenses or filters? Again, I
    did. However, buying additional lenses is not particularly cheap.

    3) Ease of use of controls.

    > a card for more memory for most cameras. I'm told that more memory

    Yes.

    --
    Vultures only fly with carrion luggage.

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

    anl
    Mueen Nawaz, Aug 30, 2006

  3. sally Guest

    wrote in news:1156902626.784156.324020
    @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:
    > O.K. I know hardly anything about cameras. I want to buy a digital
    > camera with at least 5px. and good zooming. And pay 2-300.00 dollars.
    > I want to take pic inside, outside, anywhere, anytime.

    Canon S2 can be had for under $300. If you don't mind a camera on the large
    size of the compact range, that is one of the best that you'll find in your
    price range.
    sally, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Joan Guest

    2-300.00 dollars of what currency?

    --
    Joan

    :
    : I've read that optical Zoom is more important than digital Zoom.
    I've
    : read that Canon makes the best pic. I've had my eye on the A620. I
    : think I'd like the larger screen.
    :
    : So, my question is, What is the difference in the plastic or glass
    : lens? Does a viewfinder work better than a point and shoot? Can I
    buy
    : a card for more memory for most cameras. I'm told that more memory
    : makes the delay factor better.(?)Do most cameras take videos as
    well.
    :
    : Hopefully, I'm not the last person on this planet to get it.
    :
    Joan, Aug 30, 2006
  5. Matt Ion Guest

    wrote:

    > So, my question is, What is the difference in the plastic or glass
    > lens?

    Glass will be less affected by heat, more durable, and when it comes to the
    exposed front element, is less easily scratched. Plastic is lighter and cheaper.

    > Does a viewfinder work better than a point and shoot?

    Well first, most "point and shoot" cameras have viewfinders - a viewfinder is
    the little glass window you put up to your eye to frame the picture. In most
    P&S cameras, it's just a small window with a lens that gives you a view similer
    to the one the camera will see. On fancier cameras, particularly "single lens
    reflex" (SLR) cameras, a set of mirrors and/or prisms direct the actual view
    through the camera lens into the viewfinder, so you see EXACTLY what the camera
    will see. (Alright, for you nitpickers, ALMOST exactly, but the differences
    aren't important for this discussion).

    What you're probably thinking of with a P&S is the LCD on the back that gives a
    live view of what you're going to shoot. Whether that "works better" than an
    optical viewfinder is entirely subjective - there are definite advantages and
    disadvantages to each. Which works better FOR YOU is something you need to
    decide for yourself.

    > Can I buy a card for more memory for most cameras.

    I'd say 99.999% of digital cameras sold today support interchangeable memory
    cards. The only thing to be aware of is what TYPE of card(s) it takes, and how
    easy those will be to find and what they'll cost. Most Sony cameras, for
    example, use only Sony's Memory Stick cards, which tend to be more expensive
    than other formats, and sometimes less available. xD is another format you'll
    see around, but they aren't all that common either, and as such also tend to be
    a bit more expensive.

    Most common - and usually most price-friendly - are Secure Digital (SD) and
    Compact Flash (CF) cards. Being more popular, they also tend to have more
    selection available (more brands). SD cards currently max out at 2GB; CF at
    4GB. Cameras that accept CF-II format cards (a "thick" version of CF) can also
    use "MicroDrive" cards - ultra-tiny hard drives) that are currently available up
    to 16GB... but I offer that only as informational, they're also quite expensive
    and many have reported reliability problems with them.

    > I'm told that more memory makes the delay factor better.(?)

    The main thing that affects "delay factor" (how long you have to wait between
    pictures) is the camera's design - whether it has any built-in buffer memory,
    and how fast it can write to the card. The faster the card you get, the faster
    the camera can write to it... but only up to the maximum capability of the
    camera. My Canon 300D, for example, doesn't seem to work much faster with a 12X
    CF card than with a 4X card (I suspect its own write speed maxes out at 8X), so
    spending the extra money for an 80X card would be pointless. A newer camera
    (350D, 30D, etc.) may make better use of the available speed.

    > Do most cameras take videos as well.

    I wouldn't say "most"... it's a feature that costs more to include and requires
    a lot more memory than just taking stills, so it's something that can be
    excluded for those who don't need it to save on the price.

    > Hopefully, I'm not the last person on this planet to get it.

    You asked some intelligent questions... that puts you WAY ahead of some people ;)
    Matt Ion, Aug 30, 2006
  6. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > O.K. I know hardly anything about cameras. I want to buy a digital
    > camera with at least 5px. and good zooming. And pay 2-300.00 dollars.
    > I want to take pic inside, outside, anywhere, anytime. I'm so excited.
    > So you can imagine how many pic. I'll be taking. So, I guess battery
    > life is important. Rechargeable batteries (maybe). I'm so uninformed
    > about technology. If I have plug, can't I rechrge thru the electrical
    > outlet? Like the cell phone.

    Don't get too involved in the megapixel race. If you plan to take
    pictures mainly for 4x6 prints, then 4mp is fine. Consider anything
    over 4mp to be adequate, but stay away from P&S cameras with more than
    7mp as they sensors are quite small and the result is poor low light
    sensitivity. Unless you plan to make prints larger than 8x10, anything
    over 4mp is just excess.

    Most cameras these days either come with a rechargeable battery, or can
    be used with rechargeable NIMH batteries. Chargers are included with
    all cameras within the price range you mentioned.

    > I've read that optical Zoom is more important than digital Zoom. I've
    > read that Canon makes the best pic. I've had my eye on the A620. I
    > think I'd like the larger screen.

    Digital zoom is a marketing ploy, ignore it in your considerations.
    Canon makes some very good cameras, but don't limit yourself to
    considering only Canon cameras. Many people are quite happy with other
    brands. Most people find the larger LCD displays a desirable feature.

    I, personally, don't like the cameras with no optical viewfinder as this
    promotes poor picture taking postures. If you buy a camera with no
    optical viewfinder, try to get one with a feature to prevent motion blur.

    > So, my question is, What is the difference in the plastic or glass
    > lens? Does a viewfinder work better than a point and shoot? Can I buy
    > a card for more memory for most cameras. I'm told that more memory
    > makes the delay factor better.(?)Do most cameras take videos as well.

    At the P&S level, don't worry too much about glass vs. plastic lenses.
    Choose a camera with good reviews and you should be quite happy about
    the pictures you get.

    > Hopefully, I'm not the last person on this planet to get it.

    When you make a selection, get out there and take pictures. There is no
    better way to learn than to make mistakes, and with digital cameras, the
    mistakes cost nothing.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 30, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > O.K. I know hardly anything about cameras. I want to buy a digital
    > camera ..
    > Any information is important to me.
    >
    > Thankx, Kitty

    You have received a lot of good ideas. I am going to suggest something
    a little different.

    Before you buy anything, pick it up in your hands. Hold it and at least
    go though the motions of taking some photos. Is it comfortable? Do you
    fingers naturally fall over the controls? Did you accidentally bump
    something that should not have been moved or bumped? Is it easy to use?
    Can you see though the viewfinder easily?

    No one can answer these questions for you since will are all different.
    The camera I am comfortable with might be very difficult for you.

    In general young children and older people will find cameras with few
    larger controls better. Young adults will be more likely to like smaller
    cameras with lots of controls conveniently placed all over the camera.

    Good Luck

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 30, 2006
  8. Guest

    canon maybe good, but expensive, why pay more just for a picture!
    wrote:

    > O.K. I know hardly anything about cameras. I want to buy a digital
    > camera with at least 5px. and good zooming. And pay 2-300.00 dollars.
    > I want to take pic inside, outside, anywhere, anytime. I'm so excited.
    > So you can imagine how many pic. I'll be taking. So, I guess battery
    > life is important. Rechargeable batteries (maybe). I'm so uninformed
    > about technology. If I have plug, can't I rechrge thru the electrical
    > outlet? Like the cell phone.
    >
    > I've read that optical Zoom is more important than digital Zoom. I've
    > read that Canon makes the best pic. I've had my eye on the A620. I
    > think I'd like the larger screen.
    >
    > So, my question is, What is the difference in the plastic or glass
    > lens? Does a viewfinder work better than a point and shoot? Can I buy
    > a card for more memory for most cameras. I'm told that more memory
    > makes the delay factor better.(?)Do most cameras take videos as well.
    >
    > Hopefully, I'm not the last person on this planet to get it.
    >
    > Any information is important to me.
    >
    > Thankx, Kitty
    , Aug 30, 2006
  9. Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:49:01 -0700, sac_cans1b06 wrote:

    > canon maybe good, but expensive, why pay more just for a picture!
    > wrote:

    I take it that your camera is one of those simple cameras given in a
    packet of carn flakes.

    --
    Neil
    Delete l to reply
    Neil Ellwood, Aug 30, 2006
  10. Philippe Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:49:01 -0700, sac_cans1b06 wrote:
    >

    >>canon maybe good, but expensive, why pay more just for a picture!
    >> wrote:
    >>

    > I take it that your camera is one of those simple cameras given in a
    > packet of carn flakes.

    Don't laugh.. my first digital was a "signup bonus" with the local High
    Speed provider (Sony somethingorother).. My kids still use it..

    They're giving computers away now.. wonder if I could re-sign or something..

    :)
    P.

    --
    I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)
    Philippe, Aug 30, 2006
  11. iws Guest

    "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >

    > selection available (more brands). SD cards currently max out at 2GB; CF

    at
    > 4GB.

    Not now. I just bought a high speed 4GB SD card for under $70. 8GB CF cards
    are also available now.
    iws, Aug 31, 2006
  12. Matt Ion Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>O.K. I know hardly anything about cameras. I want to buy a digital
    >>camera ..
    >>Any information is important to me.
    >>
    >>Thankx, Kitty

    > You have received a lot of good ideas. I am going to suggest something
    > a little different.
    >
    > Before you buy anything, pick it up in your hands. Hold it and at least
    > go though the motions of taking some photos. Is it comfortable? Do you
    > fingers naturally fall over the controls? Did you accidentally bump
    > something that should not have been moved or bumped? Is it easy to use?
    > Can you see though the viewfinder easily?
    >
    > No one can answer these questions for you since will are all different.
    > The camera I am comfortable with might be very difficult for you.
    >
    > In general young children and older people will find cameras with few
    > larger controls better. Young adults will be more likely to like smaller
    > cameras with lots of controls conveniently placed all over the camera.
    >
    > Good Luck

    Good advice!
    Matt Ion, Aug 31, 2006