    Shop Pro 8.

    Thanks,

    Richard

    Richard, Aug 16, 2003

  2. Richard

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <CNv%a.10885$>, Richard wrote:

    > I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
    > megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
    > close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
    > thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
    > criteria.

    I think just about any digital camera over $300 will do that.

    Mike Graham, Aug 16, 2003

  3. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
    > megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
    > close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
    > thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
    > criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
    > good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
    > range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?
    >
    > I want to take pictures mainly of flowers, cats and
    > people. Then I am planning playing with those pictures in Paint
    > Shop Pro 8.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard

    There are others, and you can get very many views about which is best. You
    can check them out at www.dpreview.com. I suggest you consider also 4 MP
    cameras; the price difference is pretty small.

    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 16, 2003
  4. Richard

    JK Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
    > megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
    > close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers.

    How close? The Olympus c4000 focuses down to 0.7 of an inch!
    Some flowers are extremely small!

    > I am now
    > thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
    > criteria.

    The A70 will focus down to 2 inhes at wide angle, but only as close as 10
    inches at the telephoto setting.

    > Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
    > good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
    > range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?

    The Olympus C4000. It has great macro, and is 4 megapixels
    rather than 3.2 megapixels that the A70 has. The C4000 has
    a lens that lets in much more light at the telephoto end, and makes
    the camera much more useful in low light situations. One might
    be able to shoot indoors with the C4000 at ISO 400 mode and
    at telephoto without using a flash or tripod(many museums allow
    photography without a flash or tripod), while the A70 will only give
    you f2.8 at its widest angle setting(the lens on the C4000 is f2.8
    throughout the whole zoom range). The flash range on the C4000
    is also much greater than on the A70 at the telephoto end. If you could
    raise your budget some more, the 5 megapixel Olympus C5050 is
    really nice, and has a lens that is even better in low light than the
    C4000. It focuses down to 1" for macro. The display on the C5050
    rotates, which is extremely handy when shooting macro.The C5050
    is around $550, although it comes with a set of nimh rechargeable
    batteries and a 3 hour charger (it might cost you around $50 to buy
    those separately when buying the A70 or C4000, so the C5050 is
    really only around $100 more than the C4000)

    JK, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Richard

    Paul Larson Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in news:CNv%
    a.10885$:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
    > megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
    > close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
    > thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
    > criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
    > good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
    > range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?

    Check Dell with the current 10% off and free shipping the 4 megapixel
    Minolta s414 with 4x optical zoom or the 4 megapixel Panasonic DMC-LC43
    Lumix Digital Camera can both be bought fro the $360 US you specified.

    The Minolta seems to be a good camera. I just bought it and have only
    started playing with some of the features. But it does get excellent
    reviews.

    Paul Larson, Aug 17, 2003
  6. Richard

    Polytone Guest

    don't be cheap. spring for a 4 MP Canon G3.

    Polytone, Aug 17, 2003
  7. Richard

    JK Guest

    Why not the 5 megapixel Olympus C5050 instead of the G3?

    JK, Aug 17, 2003
  8. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Richard" <> a écrit dans le message
    de news:CNv%a.10885$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
    > megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
    > close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
    > thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
    > criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
    > good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
    > range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?
    >
    > I want to take pictures mainly of flowers, cats and
    > people. Then I am planning playing with those pictures in Paint
    > Shop Pro 8.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard

    Thanks all for your comments. It seems digital cameras are more
    expensive in Canada than in USA. It is curious because there is so many
    things that are cheaper here when you consider the conversion exchange.
    Since the digital camera is evolving rapidly, I prefer to buy a somewhat
    less sophiscated camera today and then I will buy another one at maybe 10
    megapixels in three or four years for the same price. I am thinking of
    buying online from the US but I wonder if there is a price to pay to cross
    the border (does free trade cover digital camera?).

    Thanks again,

    Richard

    Richard, Aug 17, 2003
  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Paul Larson" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > "Richard" <> wrote in news:CNv%
    > a.10885$:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am new to digital camera. I would like to buy a 3.0
    > > megapixels digital camera with optical zoom and a one that can take
    > > close pictures such as pictures of individual flowers. I am now
    > > thinking of buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it meeets all those
    > > criteria. Is there somebody here who have that camera? Is it a
    > > good camera? Is there other good cameras at about the same price
    > > range (about 360US$ or 500CAN$)?
    > >

    > Check Dell with the current 10% off and free shipping the 4 megapixel
    > Minolta s414 with 4x optical zoom or the 4 megapixel Panasonic DMC-LC43
    > Lumix Digital Camera can both be bought fro the $360 US you specified.
    >
    > The Minolta seems to be a good camera. I just bought it and have only
    > started playing with some of the features. But it does get excellent
    > reviews.

    Dell USA has a great choice of digital camera at a good price. However I
    live in Canada and I checked Dell Canada and their choice of camera is very
    limited. They do not have any 4 megapixel camera. I wonder if I could buy
    directly from Dell USA even if I live in Canada. I will investigate that.

    Thanks,

    Richard

    Richard, Aug 17, 2003
  10. Richard

    JK Guest

    Glenn Shaw wrote:

    > JK wrote in rec.photo.digital:
    > >
    > > Polytone wrote:
    > >
    > >> don't be cheap. spring for a 4 MP Canon G3.

    > > Why not the 5 megapixel Olympus C5050 instead of the G3?

    > Those are very good cameras, but they're out of the OP's price range --
    > remember, he was asking for a "good 3 megapixel camera" similar to the
    > Canon A70 in the same price range (US$350/CAN$500); the G3 lists for US$799
    > and the Oly lists for US$899.

    The "street" price for the C4000 is around $400. For the C5050 it
    is around $550. For the A70 it is around $285. Choosing a C4000
    rather than the A70 is not such a large stretch in terms of cost(only $115
    more), yet it gives him a camera that is in a higher league (being 4
    megapixel rather than 3.2 megapixel, having a lens that is much
    faster at the telephoto end, having much better macro, and other
    features) The A70 is not a bad camera, and if it was less than half
    the price of the C4000 I would be constantly recommending it for
    those on a tight budget. Since the C4000 is only $115 more than
    the A70 though, it is hard for me to recommend the A70.

    > That said, may I suggest that he take a look at the Fuji FinePix 3800 --
    > it's not too far out of his budget (it lists for US$399, but can be found
    > online for less), has 3.2MP resolution,

    The C4000 is 4 megapixel

    > has a 6X optical zoom,

    The lens is reasonably fast at f2.8-f3, however the camera only has
    an ISO 100 mode, so it is still not good for shooting in low light
    without using a flash or tripod. The Fuji 3800 would have been
    very interesting if it had a low noise ISO 400 mode, and more
    aperture settings. It looks like it only has f2.8, f4.8, and f8.2.

    > and can
    > focus as close as 10cm (approx 4") in macro mode

    The C4000 focuses to within less than an inch in the super macro
    mode.

    JK, Aug 17, 2003
  11. Richard

    Ian S Guest

    If macro is important, have you considered the Ricoh Caplio RR30 - focus to
    1 cm? It's in your price range at Future Shop in Canada
    http://snurl.com/22tc and seemed to come out reasonably well in Steve's
    Digicams review http://snurl.com/22td . The RR30 also has a short shutter
    release time and has several ISO speeds. Future Shop also has free shipping.

    Ian S, Aug 17, 2003