  1. I want to buy a new x64 bit pc with Windows Professional x64 Edition. If I
    do buy one will they have 64 bit drivers for the hardware? Please Tell me
    some computer manufacturers who make 64 bit pc. Thanx, Jason

    =?Utf-8?B?amFzb25rcnVzZXI=?=, Nov 13, 2005

  2. Yes, some brands will offer fully compatible components with their systems
    that are pre-loaded with Windows XP x64. These tend to be their workstation
    line of computers. A number of PC Manufacturers such as Alienware, Dell,
    Hewlett Packard and IBM offer PCs preloaded with XP Pro x64:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/howtobuy/default.mspx

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 13, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?amFzb25rcnVzZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    And a number of these manufacturers recommend regular 32-bit Windows XP on
    their 64-bit computers. If you have any programs or especially hardware
    that you plan to buy or bring to the computer, that doesn't come with it,
    make sure to check the compatibility before you decide. Probably just have
    a fallback plan to dual boot like a large number do.

    John Barnes, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Some things to remember from Charlies recent web cast:
    The initial target audience for XP Professional x64 includes the following:
    - Developers
    - Gamers
    - Graphics, audio and media artists
    - Computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
    - Enthusiast
    (It is not recommended for casual users)

    Also common issues associated with x64 when it comes to compatibility
    include:
    No support for 16-bit applications
    All hardware device drivers are required to be 64-bit to work on x64
    No support for MS-DOS applications
    32-Bit Explorer extensions do not work

    Others include:
    No active desktop in x64
    No Microsoft IntelliPoint drivers (popular one here in the ngs)
    No firewall client for ISA, also no Novell netware client
    Scanners and all-in-one printer driver support can be a problem
    No imaging software support

    More:
    Limited AntiVirus support (supported ones are Avast Home 4.6, NOD 32, AVG,
    eTrust 7.1 Trial, Symantec AV 10)
    No Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) in wireless

    So make sure your investment in Windows XP Professional x64 is worth the
    possible trade offs, I think most would agree at least the ensure that the
    computer is 64 bit enabled. You can give the XP Professional x64 Trial a
    trial in a dual boot configuration with XP x86 to see if it really fits your
    needs.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 13, 2005
  5. And the webcast itself is at
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=909753#XSLTH3138120120120121120120
    Download and view.

    I bought my AMD64 Athlon x2 4400+ computer from CyberPower. I am very
    pleased with it. Consider simply keeping your present computer for awhile
    for any situations not supported by x64 yet. I use mine side-by-side.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 13, 2005
  6. shorter URL: http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

    all that stuff after is not required. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 13, 2005