    Regards

    Matthieu.

    , Feb 1, 2008

  2. Thrill5 Guest

    I have never liked 3Com switches. I have had experience with them many
    times over the years and never had good luck. I have never seen a low-end
    3Com switch that has any type of management interface. Basically you just
    plug stuff in and it works, but if there is a problem there is no way to see
    if you have errors and such. I have not used any of 3Com's latest products
    so this may no longer be true. I have also had many bad experiences with
    3Com support over the years, and I would characterize my support experiences
    as a complete lack of support.

    I have also had experience with the HP Procurves, and they are a very fine
    switch. Full management capability and rock solid operation, and great
    support. I believe that the HP's also come with a lifetime hardware warranty
    and lifetime software support (as does the Cisco 2960). When asking for a
    recommendation for switches I always recommend the HP because it has most of
    the same capabilities as the Cisco, but at half the price.

    Thrill5, Feb 3, 2008

  3. Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>,
    "Thrill5" <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Dear all,
    > >
    > > We are a small company (20 employees and we will be at most 40 within
    > > 2 years) and I am thinking about my network equipement (switches).
    > >
    > > My need are rather simple : connect user computers to switchs, connect
    > > FW/Router to switch and AD/Fileserver to switch.
    > > Maybe a couple of VLAN will be need and I see no other need right now.
    > >
    > > For me it seems that both cisco, hp and 3com are able to do what I
    > > need and maybe at lot more.
    > >
    > > 3com is about 1/3 of the price of a cisco (2960) and HP 1/2 of a cisco
    > > (2960) for more or less "equivalent" models.
    > >
    > > Is 3com a bad choice ?

    > I have never liked 3Com switches. I have had experience with them many
    > times over the years and never had good luck. I have never seen a low-end
    > 3Com switch that has any type of management interface. Basically you just
    > plug stuff in and it works, but if there is a problem there is no way to see
    > if you have errors and such. I have not used any of 3Com's latest products
    > so this may no longer be true. I have also had many bad experiences with
    > 3Com support over the years, and I would characterize my support experiences
    > as a complete lack of support.

    As a contrary view, we have used 3Com switches for many year and have
    nearly 1000 of various models. They aren't necessarily brilliant but
    they are cheap and we have a lot of experience invested in them. We've
    been VERY careful which models we've used over the years - some are fine
    some ... aren't. We are currently buying whatever 4400s are still
    available (actually they may all be gone now) and 5500s and 5500Gs. We
    passed on the 4500 and on many other products over the years.

    > I have also had experience with the HP Procurves, and they are a very fine
    > switch. Full management capability and rock solid operation, and great
    > support. I believe that the HP's also come with a lifetime hardware warranty
    > and lifetime software support (as does the Cisco 2960). When asking for a
    > recommendation for switches I always recommend the HP because it has most of
    > the same capabilities as the Cisco, but at half the price.

    Our Engineering and Informatics Schools use Procurves and are very happy
    with them.

    We have used Cisco edge switches in various contexts but generally any
    advantages have been outweighed by the price disadvantage. We also have
    some small experience of Allied Telesis GigE switches (they fit in
    places where a 3Com 5500G won't) and they seem OK.

    Sam Wilson
    Network Team, IT Infrastructure (formerly Computing Services)
    Information Services, The University of Edinburgh
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

    Sam Wilson, Feb 4, 2008
  4. Hello ,

    > For me it seems that both cisco, hp and 3com are able to do what I
    > need and maybe at lot more.

    You are right. Go for the switch you feel for.

    HP is my recommendation.

    ---
    Helge Olav Helgesen
    http://www.helge.net

    Helge Olav Helgesen, Feb 4, 2008
  5. In article <>, writes:
    >We are a small company (20 employees and we will be at most 40 within
    >2 years) and I am thinking about my network equipement (switches).
    >
    >My need are rather simple : connect user computers to switchs, connect
    >FW/Router to switch and AD/Fileserver to switch.
    >Maybe a couple of VLAN will be need and I see no other need right now.
    >
    >For me it seems that both cisco, hp and 3com are able to do what I
    >need and maybe at lot more.
    >
    >3com is about 1/3 of the price of a cisco (2960) and HP 1/2 of a cisco
    >(2960) for more or less "equivalent" models.
    >
    >Is 3com a bad choice ?

    Hm, we are currently dropping our 3Com switches in favor of HP.
    Reason:
    - hard- and software support is a lot better with HP and cheaper
    - if you have no software contract with 3Com it is virtually impossible to
    report a bug
    - the feature set of HP is very similar to Cisco's and the user interface
    as well (our routers, firewalls and some switches are from Cisco)
    - some bad experience with incompatibilities between old and new 3Com switches

    I am talking about manageable switches here. You'll need these if you intend
    to setup VLANs.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

    Christoph Gartmann, Feb 4, 2008
  6. bkny1055

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    We use 2950 and starting to buy into the new 2960 to replace older 1900
    I like Cisco over HP sometimes cheaper is not better

    bkny1055, Feb 4, 2008
  7. Guest

    i say HP
    Cisco will cost you more and have way more features than what most
    people require (you pay for what you get, and you wont need all these
    extra features)
    You should be able to get by on HP, i would talk to a HP sales guy to
    ensure that can provide you with what you require from your network.

    , Feb 6, 2008
  8. Johann Lo Guest

    For a company of your size and requirements, HP is the right choice, you'll
    never use the advanced features that the Cisco has (which the other 2
    don't).

    IN fact if all you need in terms of features is VLANs, you could probably
    get away with consumer grade gear - just buy two, configure identically and
    keep one in the cupboard as standby, and you'd still come out cheaper

    Johann Lo, Feb 8, 2008
  9. Guest

    On Feb 1, 5:25 pm, wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > We are a small company (20 employees and we will be at most 40 within
    > 2 years) and I am thinking about my network equipement (switches).
    >
    > My need are rather simple : connect user computers to switchs, connect
    > FW/Router to switch and AD/Fileserver to switch.
    > Maybe a couple of VLAN will be need and I see no other need right now.
    >
    > For me it seems that both cisco, hp and 3com are able to do what I
    > need and maybe at lot more.
    >
    > 3com is about 1/3 of the price of a cisco (2960) and HP 1/2 of a cisco
    > (2960) for more or less "equivalent" models.
    >
    > Is 3com a bad choice ?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Matthieu.

    Hey Matthieu,

    Cisco does have the portfolio to do what you request and much more.
    Cisco does care greatly about the SMB market and is making a strong
    presence there. In fact, they have Systems Engineers devoted
    specifically to the SMB market and will give you a free consultation
    on your network (3Com and Procurve won't do that). The one thing that
    stands out about Cisco from 3Com and Procurve is that Cisco is able to
    handle all of your needs as well as provide the best customer support
    in the industry. 3Com is a bad choice because they are going through
    high financial instability and were recently purchased by Huawei.
    Huawei has been known to over promise, under perform, and use their
    customers as guinea pigs. The 2960 is a great switch that can handle
    multiple VLANs which you require. It comes in a range of sizes
    (8/24/48) and even has POE up to 24 ports on some models in case you
    look to upgrade to IP phones in the future or put in a wireless access
    point. The 800 and 1800 series ISR routers can do your firewall,
    internet connectivity, wan connectivity, and even be remotely
    managed. Speaking of remote management, you can even manage the
    switch from home in your pajamas if you have a network issue. If you
    are looking for cheap, that is not Cisco. If you are looking for
    quality then you are looking at Cisco. If you have any questions,
    feel free to email me.

    -Adam-

    , Feb 14, 2008
  10. On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:25:39 -0800 (PST),
    wrote:

    >Dear all,
    >
    >We are a small company (20 employees and we will be at most 40 within
    >2 years) and I am thinking about my network equipement (switches).
    >
    >My need are rather simple : connect user computers to switchs, connect
    >FW/Router to switch and AD/Fileserver to switch.
    >Maybe a couple of VLAN will be need and I see no other need right now.
    >
    >For me it seems that both cisco, hp and 3com are able to do what I
    >need and maybe at lot more.
    >
    >3com is about 1/3 of the price of a cisco (2960) and HP 1/2 of a cisco
    >(2960) for more or less "equivalent" models.
    >
    >Is 3com a bad choice ?
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Matthieu.

    Well,

    The thing that I can say for Cisco equipment is that you can
    get a Smartnet contract that will provide support for the units you
    have. The cost of Smartnet contracts are not expernsive. You renew
    them annually (or not renew them, your choice).

    Most new Cisco equipment comes with a one year Smartnet
    contract. You decide whether or not to renew it.

    That way, if you need something specially configured, they'll
    telent (or SSH) into the unit and do it for you. And if the device(s)
    die, they'll replace or repair them for you.

    I'd suggest finding about about Smartnet before you make any
    decisions. If you don't have any in house networking support persons,
    it's an inexpensive way to get the support you may need.

    I can refer you to the company that sold me my Smartnet
    contract if you like. They got me a great price on it. Email me
    directly and I'll be glad to put you in touch with them.

    Regards,

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Feb 14, 2008