Buy Refurbished or New?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DigitalTechy, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. DigitalTechy

    DigitalTechy Guest

    Well,

    As I have much experience in the matter, I will tell you this.

    There are 2 kind of refurbished:

    Refurbished by Manufacturer (like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo,

    Casio...)
    That is for sure a BEST buy even if you save $10 bucks. Because it has
    been tested and repacked carefully by them. And in most cases, was
    never even used!

    Refurbished by Retail or E-Commerce site.
    Watch out! Very often, it will not be worth your while... and can even
    sell you used as refurbished!

    Refurbished Digital Camera is a great way to get a 99.5% "NEW" as long
    as its refurbished (also called Reconditioned or Reboxed).

    Stores that carry Manufacturer Refurbished and that can be trusted are:

    www.Crutchfield.com
    www.DigitalShopCart.com
    www.BestBuy.com

    and a few more

    Hope that helps!
    DigitalTechy, Sep 17, 2006

  2. DigitalTechy

    darkroommike Guest

    I haven't had to test the waters in the digital camera market but the
    other thing to watch, even with factory refurbs, is the length of the
    warranty. In the PC business (I used to do tech support) a new laptop
    can be had with a one year warranty and a 3 year extended warranty a
    factory refurbished laptop comes with a 90-day warranty.
    darkroommike

    darkroommike, Sep 17, 2006

  3. DigitalTechy

    JC Dill Guest

    On 17 Sep 2006 09:43:43 -0700, "DigitalTechy" <>
    wrote:

    >Refurbished by Manufacturer (like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo,
    >
    >Casio...)
    >That is for sure a BEST buy even if you save $10 bucks. Because it has
    >been tested and repacked carefully by them. And in most cases, was
    >never even used!

    That's only a sure best buy if it comes with the same warranty.
    Sometimes refurbs only come with 30 or 90 day warranties while New
    comes with 1 or 3 year warranties.

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
    JC Dill, Sep 18, 2006
  4. DigitalTechy

    Guest

    Dude...

    my take on electronic is never buy refurb...

    KN
    http://www.photographybykevin.com
    http://saphelpbykevin.blogspot.com
    http://photographybykevin.blogspot.com
    http://hotelreviewsbykevin.blogspot.com

    DigitalTechy wrote:
    > Well,
    >
    > As I have much experience in the matter, I will tell you this.
    >

    > There are 2 kind of refurbished:
    >

    > Refurbished by Manufacturer (like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo,
    >
    > Casio...)
    > That is for sure a BEST buy even if you save $10 bucks. Because it has
    > been tested and repacked carefully by them. And in most cases, was
    > never even used!
    >

    > Refurbished by Retail or E-Commerce site.
    > Watch out! Very often, it will not be worth your while... and can even
    > sell you used as refurbished!
    >

    > Refurbished Digital Camera is a great way to get a 99.5% "NEW" as long
    > as its refurbished (also called Reconditioned or Reboxed).
    >

    > Stores that carry Manufacturer Refurbished and that can be trusted are:
    >

    > www.Crutchfield.com
    > www.DigitalShopCart.com
    > www.BestBuy.com
    >

    > and a few more
    >

    > Hope that helps!
    , Sep 19, 2006
  5. DigitalTechy

    ASAAR Guest

    On 19 Sep 2006 15:17:25 -0700, ewww, gag me with a spoon.
    wrote:

    > DigitalTechy wrote:
    >> Well,
    >>
    >> As I have much experience in the matter, I will tell you this.
    >>

    >> There are 2 kind of refurbished:
    >>

    >> Refurbished by Manufacturer (like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Sanyo,
    >>
    >> Casio...)
    >> That is for sure a BEST buy even if you save $10 bucks. Because it has
    >> been tested and repacked carefully by them. And in most cases, was
    >> never even used!
    >>

    >> Refurbished by Retail or E-Commerce site.
    >> Watch out! Very often, it will not be worth your while... and can even
    >> sell you used as refurbished!
    >>

    >> Refurbished Digital Camera is a great way to get a 99.5% "NEW" as long
    >> as its refurbished (also called Reconditioned or Reboxed).
    >>

    >> Stores that carry Manufacturer Refurbished and that can be trusted are:
    >>

    >> www.Crutchfield.com
    >> www.DigitalShopCart.com
    >> www.BestBuy.com
    >>

    >> and a few more
    >>

    >> Hope that helps!

    > Dude...
    >
    > my take on electronic is never buy refurb...

    My take on it is that this is the kind of position that a "Dude"
    dropper can be expected to take. FWIW, the only computer I ever
    bought that was a refurb lasted 8 years, at least twice as long as
    any other I've owned. In its old age it still runs, but it had too
    many limitations to continue using it.
    ASAAR, Sep 20, 2006