    How is the interface on the ASA? IOS like? GUI?

    Is the 3000 series being phased out any time soon?

    -Rob

    Rob, Jan 17, 2006

  2. The ASA 5500 as a VPN option/bundle, that really kicks VPN3000 wayout
    No doubt - Get that one !

    My guess, is as yours: Yes the VPN will go away in some point in future.
    Said that - Support costs can sometimes be an issue.
    Cisco will support both devices way out in future, and with time you will
    get the ASA to know better too.

    Martin Bilgrav, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    How is the interface? All GUI? commandline?

    I'm pretty good with IOS, but I actually have no desire for command
    line with this particular need. I need to teach others to monitor the
    VPN connections and GUI would be easier to configure and teach.

    Rob, Jan 17, 2006
  4. In article <>, Rob wrote:

    Hi Rob,

    > I will be implementing a new Cisco VPN solution at my current company.
    > I've used Cisco in the past at a previous company and am familiar with
    > the 3000 concentrators. I have no experience with the ASA 5500
    > series.

    If you can configure IOS, then there are no problems configuring ASA,
    as there also is very good documentation at cisco.com.

    > If I only plan on using the VPN portion, should I consider buying the
    > ASA 5500 anyway? Or just stick with the 3000 concentrator?

    I would go for the ASA, because it the successor for the concentrator
    (and for IDS and for PIX).

    Another reason may be the costs for an smartnet-contract, if I remember
    correctly, for the concentrator is as twice so high as for the ASA.

    > How is the interface on the ASA? IOS like? GUI?

    The new PIXOS v7 (it's now the same as on PIX) is much
    more IOS-alike than the previous versions were. It now supports
    the tab-completion of commands, the syntax of config-file is also
    more like IOS too. (interface, etc.)

    The GUI is the ASDM, you can use it, but you won't. :)

    > -Rob

    So long,
    Andre

    --
    Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
    IT Department

    Andre Paetzold, Jan 18, 2006