Buy an image storage device, or buy extra compact flash cards?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sm9 ©, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. sm9 ©

    sm9 © Guest

    Hi there,

    I own a Canon PowerShot G5 and I'm going to be going on holiday in 3 weeks
    time. I already have a 32mb and 512mb Compact Flash cards (type 1), but I
    would need to buy a few more 512mb cards to last me through my holidays.
    Rather than do this, I've heard that you can buy image storage devices that
    can store images directly from a compact flash card, i.e., without the need
    for a PC.

    Does anyone have any experiences of using such devices, and if so, do you
    have any recommendations or advice? I currently have two options: buy two or
    three 512mb compact flash cards, or buy an image storage device. I figure
    that each of these options would cost the same amount of money, but the
    cheaper the better of course! :eek:)

    I hope someone can guide me into making the right purchase!

    Thanks,

    Stephen

    sm9 ©, Jul 21, 2003

  2. sm9 ©

    max Guest

    > I own a Canon PowerShot G5 and I'm going to be going on holiday in 3 weeks
    > time. I already have a 32mb and 512mb Compact Flash cards (type 1), but I
    > would need to buy a few more 512mb cards to last me through my holidays.
    > Rather than do this, I've heard that you can buy image storage devices that
    > can store images directly from a compact flash card, i.e., without the need
    > for a PC.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experiences of using such devices, and if so, do you
    > have any recommendations or advice? I currently have two options: buy two or
    > three 512mb compact flash cards, or buy an image storage device. I figure
    > that each of these options would cost the same amount of money, but the
    > cheaper the better of course! :eek:)
    >
    > I hope someone can guide me into making the right purchase!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stephen

    Hi Stephen,
    My sugestion is not the cheapest solution. I think you should
    get yourself a 1GB Flashcard or Microdrive wichever is on
    offer at the best price at the moment, I use both and the
    difference on a dslr is negliable, the Microdrives are reported
    to use more power, I have'nt noticed this. It is not an issue on
    the G5, where battery life is amazing.

    Some people are uneasy about the Microdrive, mostly those
    that have'nt used them, people say pros don't use them, well
    I gave a friend of mine one, and he loved it enough to use it on
    an importaint assaignment in Africa, no problems what so ever.
    If you still prefer Flashcard, buy a 1GB, if you shoot best quality
    jpg or RAW it will fill up faster than you think.

    An X-Drive II device, is a good idear if you don't have access to
    transfer your pictures along the way, internet cafe's and some
    photo shops provide this service..
    -max.

    max, Jul 21, 2003

  3. sm9 ©

    Ron Hunter Guest

    sm9 © wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I own a Canon PowerShot G5 and I'm going to be going on holiday in 3 weeks
    > time. I already have a 32mb and 512mb Compact Flash cards (type 1), but I
    > would need to buy a few more 512mb cards to last me through my holidays.
    > Rather than do this, I've heard that you can buy image storage devices that
    > can store images directly from a compact flash card, i.e., without the need
    > for a PC.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experiences of using such devices, and if so, do you
    > have any recommendations or advice? I currently have two options: buy two or
    > three 512mb compact flash cards, or buy an image storage device. I figure
    > that each of these options would cost the same amount of money, but the
    > cheaper the better of course! :eek:)
    >
    > I hope someone can guide me into making the right purchase!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Stephen

    Radio Shack advertises a 20GB device with built-in card reader for under
    $200. You will find that hard to beat.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 21, 2003
  4. sm9 ©

    wingnut Guest

    I bought the radio shack unit earlier this month. It's the I/O Magic
    Digital Photo Library. It was $150 after rebate for 20 GB storage. Not a
    lot of bells and whistles, but it's a third of the price of other units out
    there. Has been working flawlessly for me. It takes a standard sized drive
    so you could even upgrade to larger capacity if you needed it at some point
    by buying and installing a new larger drive.

    Ed

    wingnut, Jul 21, 2003
  5. sm9 ©

    sm9 © Guest

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks for your reply Ron. I looked at the Radio Shack website and that
    product is even cheaper now as I think it's in a sale! ;o) It's on my list
    to choose from anyway! I'll make a decision soon.

    Thanks,

    Stephen

    <snip my original post>

    sm9 ©, Jul 22, 2003
  6. sm9 ©

    sm9 © Guest

    Hi Ed,

    Thanks for your reply. I've taken a look at what you suggest and it's
    another item on my list to choose from! I'm finding it hard to make a
    decision on what to buy, but it's down to me now! I hope I make the right
    choice!

    Thanks again,

    Stephen

    "wingnut" <> wrote in message
    | I bought the radio shack unit earlier this month. It's the I/O Magic
    | Digital Photo Library. It was $150 after rebate for 20 GB storage. Not a
    | lot of bells and whistles, but it's a third of the price of other units
    out
    | there. Has been working flawlessly for me. It takes a standard sized
    drive
    | so you could even upgrade to larger capacity if you needed it at some
    point
    | by buying and installing a new larger drive.
    |
    | Ed

    <snip my original post>

    sm9 ©, Jul 22, 2003