    right? Or is something else going on?

    Thanks

    Rich Olver

    Rich Olver, Nov 24, 2006

  2. There is no retail edition of XP Pro x64. All copies are OEM. Without the
    link I cannot be certain but it sounds like three copies of x64 and that
    would be for three computers.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 24, 2006

  3. Rich Olver wrote:
    > Hi:
    > I have a dual opteron system, and I'm going to install XP Pro x64
    > on. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of different ways to buy it.
    > I see that a OEM version is way cheaper, but I'm going to stay away
    > from that.

    You can't. WinXPx64 is available *only* as an OEM license. Anyone
    claiming to sell something else is running a scam.

    > Also I see that I can get a 1 pack version, or a 3 pack.

    These are OEM licenses sold to systems builders that permit the
    purchaser to resell them along with the computers he builds.

    > The one
    > with 3 CD's is a lot more expensive. I can't find out why.

    Because it contains 3 licenses, to be installed upon and resold with 3
    separate computers. Think of it this way: Can you take your family to a
    local restaurant, feed them all separate meals from the menu, and pay
    for only one entree? If you purchase a single loaf of bread, can you
    leave the store with four loaves?

    > My best
    > guess is that the 3 pack has 3 licenses for 3 different computers. Am I
    > right?

    Yes, although I can't imagine why you'd have to "guess" about something
    that's marketed expressly for that purpose.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Nov 24, 2006
  4. Colin Barnhorst wrote:

    >There is no retail edition of XP Pro x64. All copies are OEM. Without
    >the link I cannot be certain but it sounds like three copies of x64 and
    >that would be for three computers.

    OEM 3 packs are quite common. It's just meant to make it slightly easier
    for a small OEM to buy "in bulk".

    It's 3 licences for 3 PCs.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 24, 2006
  5. Rich Olver

    John Barnes Guest

    It is also available in the educational version. Several here have
    purchased same as it is being sold by some vendors without proper
    descriptions.

    John Barnes, Nov 24, 2006
  6. Rich Olver

    DP Guest

    "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > OEM 3 packs are quite common. It's just meant to make it slightly easier
    > for a small OEM to buy "in bulk".
    >
    > It's 3 licences for 3 PCs.

    Just to clarify, for the benefit of the OP: Is it one disk and three
    licenses, or is it three duplicate disks each -- obviously -- with their own
    license?

    I think I've seen it both ways.

    DP, Nov 24, 2006
  7. You get three cd's. A volume purchase.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 24, 2006
  8. DP wrote:

    >"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>OEM 3 packs are quite common. It's just meant to make it slightly easier
    >>for a small OEM to buy "in bulk".
    >>
    >>It's 3 licences for 3 PCs.
    >>

    >Just to clarify, for the benefit of the OP: Is it one disk and three
    >licenses, or is it three duplicate disks each -- obviously -- with their
    >own license?
    >
    >I think I've seen it both ways.

    It's always been 3 CDs, 3 "welcome to XP" booklets, 3 COAs separated into
    3 shrink-wrap packages (of one of each item) ready for including in a
    shipping box and one OEM PreInstallation Kit when I've ordered.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 25, 2006
  9. Rich Olver

    > It's always been 3 CDs, 3 "welcome to XP" booklets, 3 COAs separated into
    > 3 shrink-wrap packages (of one of each item) ready for including in a
    > shipping box and one OEM PreInstallation Kit when I've ordered.

    OK. I thought maybe there was a product that offered one disk, but several
    licenses, like for IT environments with multiple computers.

    DP, Nov 25, 2006
  10. No, it is not a volume licensing item.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 25, 2006
  11. DP wrote:

    >"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>It's always been 3 CDs, 3 "welcome to XP" booklets, 3 COAs separated into
    >>3 shrink-wrap packages (of one of each item) ready for including in a
    >>shipping box and one OEM PreInstallation Kit when I've ordered.
    >>

    >OK. I thought maybe there was a product that offered one disk, but several
    >licenses, like for IT environments with multiple computers.

    That would be a volume licencing agreement.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 25, 2006
  12. It is also available as a Volume License product for Businesses.

    =?Utf-8?B?VHJla2dhdGVy?=, Nov 25, 2006