Buttons greyed in toolbar etc.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Windows XP, Outlook Express 6.

    The toolbar "New Post " "Reply group" etc disappeared.

    I got it back with View-layout-customize toolbar and
    View-toolbars-customize. (for messages and newsgroups.)

    Now the toolbar for this newsgroup message reads "New Post send/receive
    addresses Find Newsgroups." Also
    "Reply group reply forward Print stop" are there but greyed out.

    Another bar which I think is for messages reads "send Undo check
    ABCspelling Attach Sign Offline" Again with "cut copy paste" greyed .

    How do I get them ungreyed and working please? Also I need Send, "Cut Copy
    Paste" and the spellchecker.

    I've found "view-layout-customize toolbar" and "view-toolbars-customize" and
    added a few buttons, but "cut copy paste" and the spellchecker are not
    there.

    I've found a list of keys to press with Ctrl which I am using now, but I
    want my toolbar buttons back, please.

    I hope this makes sense, I've just been changed over to XP Thank you.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Geopelia

    impossible Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > Windows XP, Outlook Express 6.
    >
    > The toolbar "New Post " "Reply group" etc disappeared.
    >
    > I got it back with View-layout-customize toolbar and
    > View-toolbars-customize. (for messages and newsgroups.)
    >
    > Now the toolbar for this newsgroup message reads "New Post
    > send/receive addresses Find Newsgroups." Also
    > "Reply group reply forward Print stop" are there but greyed out.
    >
    > Another bar which I think is for messages reads "send Undo check
    > ABCspelling Attach Sign Offline" Again with "cut copy paste"
    > greyed .
    >
    > How do I get them ungreyed and working please? Also I need Send,
    > "Cut Copy Paste" and the spellchecker.
    >
    > I've found "view-layout-customize toolbar" and
    > "view-toolbars-customize" and added a few buttons, but "cut copy
    > paste" and the spellchecker are not there.
    >
    > I've found a list of keys to press with Ctrl which I am using now,
    > but I want my toolbar buttons back, please.
    >
    > I hope this makes sense, I've just been changed over to XP Thank
    > you.

    The menus are context-sensitive, which means you won't see "reply
    group" until you select a message to read (otherwise, there's nothing
    to reply to), and you won't see "cut", "copy", or "paste" until you
    begin to write a message (otherwise, there's nothing to edit).

    You can customize any of the toolbars in context, but there's no
    setting that will allow you to see irrelevant toolbar buttons in any
    context.

    impossible, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows XP, Outlook Express 6.
    >>
    >> The toolbar "New Post " "Reply group" etc disappeared.
    >>
    >> I got it back with View-layout-customize toolbar and
    >> View-toolbars-customize. (for messages and newsgroups.)
    >>
    >> Now the toolbar for this newsgroup message reads "New Post send/receive
    >> addresses Find Newsgroups." Also
    >> "Reply group reply forward Print stop" are there but greyed out.
    >>
    >> Another bar which I think is for messages reads "send Undo check
    >> ABCspelling Attach Sign Offline" Again with "cut copy paste" greyed .
    >>
    >> How do I get them ungreyed and working please? Also I need Send, "Cut
    >> Copy Paste" and the spellchecker.
    >>
    >> I've found "view-layout-customize toolbar" and "view-toolbars-customize"
    >> and added a few buttons, but "cut copy paste" and the spellchecker are
    >> not there.
    >>
    >> I've found a list of keys to press with Ctrl which I am using now, but I
    >> want my toolbar buttons back, please.
    >>
    >> I hope this makes sense, I've just been changed over to XP Thank you.
    >>

    > The menus are context-sensitive, which means you won't see "reply group"
    > until you select a message to read (otherwise, there's nothing to reply
    > to), and you won't see "cut", "copy", or "paste" until you begin to write
    > a message (otherwise, there's nothing to edit).
    >
    > You can customize any of the toolbars in context, but there's no setting
    > that will allow you to see irrelevant toolbar buttons in any context.

    Thank you. That is very odd, as until today the greyed buttons weren't
    greyed, and all the buttons were there. I've tried writing messages just
    now and the greyed buttons reappear as you say. They weren't working this
    morning.

    Anyway, it seems to be working now, and the missing buttons have reappeared,
    so whatever was causing it has stopped.

    Thanks for your help.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 27, 2006