    What's to be learned? ( apart from the obvious )

    Just curious.

    ---
    BasketCase, Aug 29, 2003

  2. It means that you can copy and paste that if you wish to report a spammer
    (amongst other things....)

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Aug 29, 2003

  3. BasketCase

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:44:40 +0100, BasketCase wrote:

    >Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding Ctrl and
    >pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.
    >
    >And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?
    >
    >How/why would one do such a thing?

    Because it allows you, if you know how to read headers , to identify the
    _actual_ source of the e-mail. And to do something about it, in the case of
    spam/forgeries.

    --
    "Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable
    from malice." -- Vernon Schryver
    Mara, Aug 29, 2003
  4. BasketCase

    Jimchip Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:44:40 +0100, BasketCase wrote:
    > Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding Ctrl and
    > pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.
    >
    > And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?

    It's the full text of the complete email including the headers. The
    complete header sequence (all the "received by", etc) has to be analyzed
    if one is going to be sure about the origin.

    Interpreting headers:
    http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/tracking.html
    http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html

    spam FAQs:
    http://www.spamfaq.net/
    http://ddi.digital.net/~gandalf/spamfaq.html
    http://www.cauce.org/about/faq.shtml
    http://www.spamhaus.org/
    http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/emailfaq.html

    --
    "Why can't somebody give us a list of things that everybody thinks and
    nobody says, and another list of things that everybody says and nobody
    Jimchip, Aug 29, 2003
  5. BasketCase

    BasketCase Guest

    "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <> wrote in message
    > It means that you can copy and paste that if you wish to report a spammer
    > (amongst other things....)

    Thanks for the reply Gordon. What sort of other things..?

    ---
    BasketCase, Aug 29, 2003
  6. BasketCase

    Liz Guest

    "BasketCase" wrote:

    > "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <> wrote in message
    > > It means that you can copy and paste that if you wish to report a spammer
    > > (amongst other things....)

    > Thanks for the reply Gordon. What sort of other things..?

    NNTP-Posting-Host

    This sort of things. :)
    Liz, Aug 29, 2003
  7. BasketCase

    BasketCase Guest

    "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:44:40 +0100, BasketCase wrote:
    > > Somebody in this ng ( Mike I think ) told someone that by holding Ctrl

    and
    > > pressing F3 you can get info about a highlighted email.
    > >
    > > And true enough...you can...but what does it all mean?

    > It's the full text of the complete email including the headers. The
    > complete header sequence (all the "received by", etc) has to be analyzed
    > if one is going to be sure about the origin.

    Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

    These first two links you posted are what I was looking for. Many thanx
    Jimchip. "Lang mae yir lum reek!"

    BasketCase, Aug 29, 2003
  8. BasketCase

    Patrick Guest

    Why not update your AVG ! 28/08/0 312

    Patrick, Aug 30, 2003
  9. BasketCase

    BasketCase Guest

    "Patrick" <> wrote in message
    > Why not update your AVG ! 28/08/0 312

    Just read your message Patrick. Been having probs getting download. My
    free version is set to automatically download new updates and when I try to
    update it says that I have the latest already!

    Read in another ng that people were having similar trouble too so going to
    try again after posting.

    ---
    BasketCase, Aug 31, 2003