    Can anyone tell me if this laptop will handle burning DVDs and CDs?

    Thanks,

    Sobek
    Sobek, May 4, 2004

  2. Does it have USB2 or Firewire? If so then probably, you'll also need a
    biggish HDD with plenty of free space dedicated for use with burning DVD's.

    Without USB2 or Firewire, not a chance with modern external devices, get a
    PC card USB2 adaptor.

    Alan Shepherd, May 4, 2004

  3. "Sobek" <> wrote in message
    > I want to get a Lite-On external DVD-RW, CD-RW combo drive to burn photo
    > images I download from my smartmedia cards to my laptop to CD or DVD. The
    > Lite-on's requirements state PIII 450 as a minimum. My laptop (a Compaq
    > 12XL310) has a 600mhz celeron w/184 mb RAM. Although it came with ME, I
    > clean installed XP.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if this laptop will handle burning DVDs and CDs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sobek

    Probably not. Your basic hardware is sorta ok, but your choice of XP as an
    O/S kinda bogs it down.

    If you were to dump XP and clean install Windows 2000 Professional, then
    you'd probably have success in burning DVDs. You'd also probably wanna
    invest in a USB 2.0 PC card.

    XP Home or Pro, was a huge mistake on a laptop with the specs you mention.
    Colon Terminus, May 4, 2004
  4. Sobek

    luminos Guest

    "Colon Terminus" <> wrote in message

    > "Sobek" <> wrote in message
    > > I want to get a Lite-On external DVD-RW, CD-RW combo drive to burn photo
    > > images I download from my smartmedia cards to my laptop to CD or DVD.

    The
    > > Lite-on's requirements state PIII 450 as a minimum. My laptop (a Compaq
    > > 12XL310) has a 600mhz celeron w/184 mb RAM. Although it came with ME, I
    > > clean installed XP.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me if this laptop will handle burning DVDs and CDs?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Sobek
    > >

    > Probably not. Your basic hardware is sorta ok, but your choice of XP as an
    > O/S kinda bogs it down.
    >
    > If you were to dump XP and clean install Windows 2000 Professional, then
    > you'd probably have success in burning DVDs. You'd also probably wanna
    > invest in a USB 2.0 PC card.
    >
    > XP Home or Pro, was a huge mistake on a laptop with the specs you mention.

    It is not so great at all for Win 2000. This probably is a no go.
    luminos, May 4, 2004
  5. Sobek

    Ivan IV Guest

    "Sobek" <> wrote in message
    > I want to get a Lite-On external DVD-RW, CD-RW combo drive to burn photo
    > images I download from my smartmedia cards to my laptop to CD or DVD. The
    > Lite-on's requirements state PIII 450 as a minimum. My laptop (a Compaq
    > 12XL310) has a 600mhz celeron w/184 mb RAM. Although it came with ME, I
    > clean installed XP.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if this laptop will handle burning DVDs and CDs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sobek

    I would get more memory, USB2 is a must. I'd use external USB2 burner, e.g.,
    Liteon 411SX/811SX, plus external USB2 HD as well. But I am afraid processor
    might be too slow for DVDs.

    Ivan
    Ivan IV, May 4, 2004
  6. I agree with others memory could be a problem, not much to run with XP, but
    as far as USB 2 goes, USB 1 will just slow down the write process it will
    still work, I have XP, 1.3 Ghz celeron, 256mb ram and USB 1 and manage to
    burn CD's and DVD's with no problem just be prepared to wait an hour for a
    DVD to burn.

    Thetech

    me,myself and moe, May 4, 2004
  7. Sobek

    Tom Guest

    "me,myself and moe" <> wrote in

    > I agree with others memory could be a problem, not much to run with
    > XP, but as far as USB 2 goes, USB 1 will just slow down the write
    > process it will still work, I have XP, 1.3 Ghz celeron, 256mb ram and
    > USB 1 and manage to burn CD's and DVD's with no problem just be
    > prepared to wait an hour for a DVD to burn.

    I rarely burn DVDs from my laptop, because the USB 1 port takes 90 minutes
    for a full DVD burn (compared to 13 minutes from the USB 2 port on the
    desktop), but the burn itself is fine.
    Tom, May 4, 2004
  8. Sobek

    Biz Guest

    "Sobek" <> wrote in message
    > I want to get a Lite-On external DVD-RW, CD-RW combo drive to burn photo
    > images I download from my smartmedia cards to my laptop to CD or DVD. The
    > Lite-on's requirements state PIII 450 as a minimum. My laptop (a Compaq
    > 12XL310) has a 600mhz celeron w/184 mb RAM. Although it came with ME, I
    > clean installed XP.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if this laptop will handle burning DVDs and CDs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sobek

    Probably not. A PIII 450 is actually a much better spec than your Celery
    600. If it does work, it will almost surely be at reduced write speeds.
    Biz, May 4, 2004
  9. Sobek

    Sobek Guest

    Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I seem to have left out a detail or two.
    First off, if I get the burner, I'll also get a USB2 PC card to connect.
    Secondly, I'm not so interested in burning DVDs from the laptop as I am in
    burning CDs to archive digital images while I'm on a trip. I wish to have
    the DVD-R aspect for versatility (I have several desktop machines that I can
    connect to). Also, my laptop DVD ROM is finicky, so the Lite-On can possibly
    provide me with more campatible reads with the laptop.

    So, if CD burns are my main objective for the laptop, given the specs of the
    system, should this work OK, even though it may burn at lower speeds?

    Thanks again,
    Sobek

    Sobek, May 4, 2004
  10. Sobek

    Mike B. Guest

    Sobek wrote:

    > Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I seem to have left out a detail or two.
    > First off, if I get the burner, I'll also get a USB2 PC card to connect.
    > Secondly, I'm not so interested in burning DVDs from the laptop as I am in
    > burning CDs to archive digital images while I'm on a trip. I wish to have
    > the DVD-R aspect for versatility (I have several desktop machines that I can
    > connect to). Also, my laptop DVD ROM is finicky, so the Lite-On can possibly
    > provide me with more campatible reads with the laptop.
    >
    > So, if CD burns are my main objective for the laptop, given the specs of the
    > system, should this work OK, even though it may burn at lower speeds?

    Yes, for burning CDs, you have just enough to accomplish the job.
    Mike B., May 4, 2004
  11. Sobek

    Sobek Guest

    "Mike B." <> wrote in message
    > Sobek wrote:
    >
    > > Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I seem to have left out a detail or

    two.
    > > First off, if I get the burner, I'll also get a USB2 PC card to connect.
    > > Secondly, I'm not so interested in burning DVDs from the laptop as I am

    in
    > > burning CDs to archive digital images while I'm on a trip. I wish to

    have
    > > the DVD-R aspect for versatility (I have several desktop machines that I

    can
    > > connect to). Also, my laptop DVD ROM is finicky, so the Lite-On can

    possibly
    > > provide me with more campatible reads with the laptop.
    > >
    > > So, if CD burns are my main objective for the laptop, given the specs of

    the
    > > system, should this work OK, even though it may burn at lower speeds?

    > Yes, for burning CDs, you have just enough to accomplish the job.

    Thanks, Mike.
    Sobek, May 7, 2004
  12. Sobek

    chuckonetwo Guest

    You will do it easy.

    I remember the old days of my Pentium 166 with 32MB RAM, and I used to burn
    data and photo discs time after time flawlessly at 2-4 speed write.

    chuckonetwo, May 9, 2004
  13. Sobek

    Sobek Guest

    "chuckonetwo" <> wrote in message
    > You will do it easy.
    >
    > I remember the old days of my Pentium 166 with 32MB RAM, and I used to

    burn
    > data and photo discs time after time flawlessly at 2-4 speed write.

    Thanks for the verification. I felt that I should be able to, but didn't
    want to buy it without knowing for sure.

    Sobek

    Sobek, May 9, 2004