    Can someone please clarify this for me?
    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Apr 12, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Rob J Guest

    In article <d3ffb5$k4o$> in nz.comp on Tue, 12 Apr 2005
    15:29:42 +1200, KiwiBrian <> says...
    > A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
    > to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
    > I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
    > software.

    If the drive comes with UDF software (e.g. InCD with Nero) then it will
    provide for a CDRW to be formatted and then it works just like a big
    floppy

    Rob J, Apr 12, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    Me Guest

    wrote:

    >A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
    >to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
    >I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
    >software.
    >Can someone please clarify this for me?
    >TIA
    >Brian Tozer

    No software requried, right click the files you wish to burn and
    choose Send to CDROM...
    It didnt work under my profile till I choose CDBurner rather then ROM
    from an option in hardware devices...

    Me, Apr 12, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    colinco Guest

    In article KiwiBrian says...
    > A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
    > to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
    > I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
    > software.
    > Can someone please clarify this for me?
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details

    colinco, Apr 12, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:29:42 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
    > to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
    > I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
    > software.
    > Can someone please clarify this for me?
    > TIA

    I use RW CD's as reusable CDRs.

    All this packet writing software is just not required.

    Just erase the CD before rewriting to it.

    Gordon, Apr 12, 2005
  6. KiwiBrian

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:29:42 +1200, "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:

    >A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
    >to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
    >I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
    >software.
    >Can someone please clarify this for me?
    >TIA
    >Brian Tozer

    you can treat a CD-RW as a Normal CD, Note: packet writing is very
    unreliable..

    CSE, Apr 12, 2005
  7. KiwiBrian

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:48:34 +1200, colinco <> wrote:

    >In article KiwiBrian says...
    >> A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
    >> to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
    >> I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
    >> software.
    >> Can someone please clarify this for me?
    >> TIA
    >> Brian Tozer
    >>

    >look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details

    And the CD drive has to support it..

    CSE, Apr 12, 2005
  8. KiwiBrian

    Daver Guest

    Probably standard functionality, however you'll find the erase is total. All
    you are doing is creating a multisession cd to which files can be added,
    updated or even "erased". All thats happening is a new session is being
    added and hence new directory is created. Eventually the cd fills up even if
    there are not enough files to fill it.

    Daver, Apr 12, 2005
  9. On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:05:51 +1200, CSE <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:48:34 +1200, colinco <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article KiwiBrian says...
    >>> A friend reports that using the native XP CD burning facilities she is able
    >>> to burn and erase to R/W CDs just as if it was a HD.
    >>> I did not think that this was possible without using packet writing
    >>> software.
    >>> Can someone please clarify this for me?
    >>> TIA
    >>> Brian Tozer
    >>>

    >>look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details

    >And the CD drive has to support it..

    nothing to do with Mt Rainer
    that is native support without software
    if the drive comes with software that allows a UDF format it can be
    used this way

    FreedomChooser, Apr 12, 2005
  10. KiwiBrian

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:41:46 +1200, FreedomChooser <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:05:51 +1200, CSE <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:48:34 +1200, colinco <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article KiwiBrian says...
    >>>>

    >>>look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details

    >>And the CD drive has to support it..

    >nothing to do with Mt Rainer
    >that is native support without software
    >if the drive comes with software that allows a UDF format it can be
    >used this way

    Mt Ranier is a DRIVE Feature..

    Little you know..

    CSE, Apr 12, 2005
  11. KiwiBrian

    infoplease Guest

    >>>look up "Mt Ranier" and XP SP1 for details
    >>

    >>And the CD drive has to support it..

    > nothing to do with Mt Rainer
    > that is native support without software
    > if the drive comes with software that allows a UDF format it can be
    > used this way

    XP has now support for both UDF and Mt Rainer. The latter one being
    sometimes called CD-MRW, allowing true random access to the CD, something
    than CD-RW cannot do regardless of the software and/or the filesystem being
    used.

    infoplease, Apr 12, 2005
  12. KiwiBrian

    abcd Guest

    "Daver" <> wrote in message
    > Probably standard functionality, however you'll find the erase is total.
    > All
    > you are doing is creating a multisession cd to which files can be added,
    > updated or even "erased". All thats happening is a new session is being
    > added and hence new directory is created. Eventually the cd fills up even
    > if
    > there are not enough files to fill it.

    What I have noticed is that after something like a dozen write sessions or
    so, and even though the disc is still far from being full, it is not
    possible to write to the CD anymore. Maybe there is a maximum number of
    session.
    The solution in this case is to copy the whole CD to the hard drive, write
    it back onto the same CD, but in 1 write session. You can then add files
    later on.

    abcd, Apr 12, 2005
  13. KiwiBrian

    Daver Guest

    Multisession adds around 20 meg of overhead per session as a new directory
    is written at the end of the session.

    Daver, Apr 13, 2005
  14. KiwiBrian

    CSE Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:30:27 +1200, "Daver" <> wrote:

    >Multisession adds around 20 meg of overhead per session as a new directory
    >is written at the end of the session.

    13 Megs..

    CSE, Apr 13, 2005