Burning Rented DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by holidaymail@christmas.com, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. Guest

    On 25 Dec 2004 17:00:24 -0800, "AbbyEye" <> wrote:

    >I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of this, but what are
    >the limitations instituted by the manufacturers that don't permit
    >someone to get a NetFlix account and a couple hundred DVD-R's and make
    >a personal Library?

    Go for it !!!!

    Netflix will make a lot of money on rentals
    Some other company will make a lot of money on blank disks
    and
    Some l;awyer will make a lot of money when you get caught

    By the time you finish your library, DVD's will be replaced with some
    other format, and you'll have to start all over, the same way a lot of
    people are already doing who collected VHS tapes a few years ago.

    , Dec 25, 2004

    AbbyEye, Dec 26, 2004

  3. What The Guest

    There is nothing to stop you from doing that, except Judge Dredd.

    What The, Dec 26, 2004
  4. AbbyEye Guest

    Then, in that case..using two accounts, a little self-help DIY tutorial
    on using a ripper and burner, I could have about 600+ movies in a years
    time. Sweet. Just gotta keep the look out for His Majesty, Bush...er
    Dredd. :)

    AbbyEye, Dec 26, 2004
  5. Biz Guest

    You mean beyond it being completely illegal and completely immoral?

    You might as well just steal them.

    If you want to make backup copies of disks you own, not many people will
    blame you as long as you own them and dont turn around and sell the
    originals after you make copies.

    Any other mis-use is just total scumbag status.

    Biz, Dec 26, 2004
  6. Tarkus Guest

    On 12/25/2004 5:55:31 PM, What The wrote:

    > There is nothing to stop you from doing that, except Judge Dredd.

    Yes, that movie will sour you on copying.
    --
    "Don't touch that please. Your primitive intellect wouldn't understand
    things with alloys and compositions and things with ... molecular

    Tarkus, Dec 26, 2004
  7. AbbyEye Guest

    I don't think Dredd was really that bad of a Movie. The Terminator did
    a fine job ripping the soul out of a fine print medium with a loyal fan
    base. I beleive Rob Schneider stole the movie as "Ace Bigalow,
    Vendo-Tron Giggalo". That Rob, what a cut-up...

    By the way as for the "Moral Majority" over there...tell me you never
    broke the law. Go ahead, tell me. You never:

    -Jay Walked.

    -Drove through the yellow lines in a parking space, instead of backing
    out of your space.

    -Parked on Someone elses' Dime at a Parking Meter.

    -Didn't tithe your HONEST pre-tax 10%.

    -Sneak a look at another besides your spouse or bethrothed. (Remember,
    it's not just a sin to look, it's also a sin to have Lust in your
    Heart)

    -Cast the first stone. (Oh, wait...that's what you just did here)

    -Denounced your Brother/Sister to a mob of Pharisies.

    -Taken more than your fair share of napkins pr condiments from a fast
    food restaurant.

    -Put on a Clown Costume, rent a truck under the assumed name of J.W.
    Gacy, drive over state lines with said truck picking up young
    hitch-hikers along they way just to leave their dissmembered torsos in
    the waste cans of rest stop bathrooms, while on your way to rob a hot
    dog stand in Modesto, California.

    -Not tip properly in a restaurant. ( I know it's not a crime, but it
    should be, these people work hard for really crap wages ).

    -Kill a cop in a 'moment of passion' while making five dollars the hard
    way in a Wal-Mart bathroom.

    -Lie

    (That last one was a big one.)

    You see, even the most Pious man (in the Christian parlance) was a
    criminal, a Blasphemer and a general nuesance to the ruling class.

    Look inside yourself before you start casting stones at people walking
    past your glass house. You're bound to break your own belongings..and
    tape on glass is a shoddy repair in anyones book.

    -Abby

    AbbyEye, Dec 26, 2004
  8. Joe S Guest

    AbbyEye wrote:

    > Look inside yourself before you start casting stones at people walking
    > past your glass house. You're bound to break your own belongings..and
    > tape on glass is a shoddy repair in anyones book.
    >
    > -Abby

    So, what you're saying is since no one is perfect, we should just let
    everyone do everything they want because doing 100 bad things is no
    worse than doing 1 bad thing?

    Gotcha.

    Joe

    Joe S, Dec 26, 2004
  9. >Then, in that case..using two accounts, a little self-help DIY tutorial
    >on using a ripper and burner, I could have about 600+ movies in a years
    >time. Sweet. Just gotta keep the look out for His Majesty, Bush...er
    >Dredd. :)

    Just remember:

    The penalty for killing a judge is not life, but death. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Dec 26, 2004
  10. AbbyEye Guest

    I'm not saying that anarchy should be the rule of the day...my primary
    point is that usually the first to point the fingers are usually the
    ones with the largest box of barbie heads under their beds.

    "Me thinks he doth protest too strong and too loud..." or something
    like that....

    AbbyEye, Dec 26, 2004
  11. Pug Fugley Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > You mean beyond it being completely illegal and completely immoral?
    >
    > You might as well just steal them.
    >
    > If you want to make backup copies of disks you own, not many people will
    > blame you as long as you own them and dont turn around and sell the
    > originals after you make copies.
    >
    > Any other mis-use is just total scumbag status.

    It's so nice to hear from someone that has never stolen a single thing in
    their life, never burned a CD or DVD, and never taken advantage of a
    situation. I'll bet when you get too much change back at McDonalds you give
    it back to them plus throw in a little more for thier trouble, don't you?
    You sir, are a saint.

    Pug Fugley, Dec 26, 2004
  12. AbbyEye Guest

    You should always compensate people for errors in judgement. I mean,
    when the IRS makes a mistake in your favor, I'm sure most people would
    sleep better if they not only informed them of the mistake, but
    insisted on an audit just to make sure they didn't miss what was coming
    to them. After all they do SOOO much for us. Like keeping
    prescription drug costs down so that we pay up to 500% more for the
    exact same drug, manufactured in the exact same plant in the exact same
    country, that is distributed and sells for less in a different country.
    You can't blame that on francise taxes, import or export tariffs or
    any other trade mumbo-jumbo. Simple fact is this : Those that are in
    power make the rules so the outcome is 'legal' even if it's wrong.
    Take for example our own past two Presidential Elections. Best man won,
    by a "...mandate from God...". Take for example the outlawing of Hemp
    fibers 6 decades ago. Only one gender of the plant produces the
    harmfull and illegal stuff, but a large company lobbied the government
    to make illegal their ownly competative supply. Best interests? How do
    you know what MY Best Interest is? All I wanted was a Pepsi, and Dubya
    wouldn't give it to me. I'll prolly get hit by a bus anyways...

    AbbyEye, Dec 26, 2004
  13. TCS Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:55:36 GMT, Pug Fugley <> wrote:

    >"Biz" <> wrote in message
    >> You mean beyond it being completely illegal and completely immoral?
    >>
    >> You might as well just steal them.
    >>
    >> If you want to make backup copies of disks you own, not many people will
    >> blame you as long as you own them and dont turn around and sell the
    >> originals after you make copies.
    >>
    >> Any other mis-use is just total scumbag status.

    >It's so nice to hear from someone that has never stolen a single thing in
    >their life, never burned a CD or DVD, and never taken advantage of a
    >situation. I'll bet when you get too much change back at McDonalds you give
    >it back to them plus throw in a little more for thier trouble, don't you?
    >You sir, are a saint.

    There a difference between not returning 25 cents in excess change and
    making off with $300 in movies a year.

    TCS, Dec 26, 2004
  14. Ed Kim Guest

    AbbyEye wrote:
    > I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of this, but what are
    > the limitations instituted by the manufacturers that don't permit
    > someone to get a NetFlix account and a couple hundred DVD-R's and

    make
    > a personal Library?

    first, use DVD+Rs... :)

    and yes, it's a quite economical method of having a vast libary of dvd
    movies, most of which you prolly won't watch! And with prices of many
    catalog dvd titles dropping to under $10, it's almost not worht the
    effort.

    Personally, i like to support the films that i like. THere are many
    movies that depend of video sales to make a profit and especially the
    movies that *I* like (SEX AND LUCIA, MARIA FULL OF GRACE, ... ). And
    then there are the foreign movies that get imported and released
    reluctnatly (HERO, INFERNAL AFFAIRS, ... ) that i'm willling to buy to
    hopefully send the message that "WE WANT THESE FILMS!!!11"

    And there is a difference in a beautifully mastered dvd9 and a
    dvd-shrunked dvd5.

    However, often i feel the opposite. I vowed never to (knowingly) buy a
    dvd with forced trailers on them. But i don't mind ripping/Stealing
    BREAKFAST CLUB, SIXTEEN CANDLES, BLUES BROTHERS, ANIMAL HOUSE, ...

    And then there's Anime released in the US. i realize that it's a niche
    market adn that they need to make profit, but chargin $30 for 3-4 20min
    episodes ON A DVD-5 is ridiculous.

    And then there are movies like RUNNING ON EMPTY, bare-bones,
    full-screen, dvd-5. hell if i'll pay for that, but i don't mind
    stealing it...

    And i have a hard time paying for a dvd-5 or a non-anamorphic title.
    If the studio isn't going to work to give me a deent product, i don't
    mind stealng it.

    And there are many cases where i rent a dvd from netflix, don't have
    time to watch it, so i burn it and retrun it. Later after i watch it,
    i buy the retail version.

    so, i hae my own (curious) moral compass... i've bought over 500 dvds
    and have about 50 ripped ones (many of which i donut even watch)... so
    there you go...

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Dec 26, 2004
  15. Jon Purkey Guest

    On 25 Dec 2004 17:00:24 -0800, "AbbyEye" <> wrote:

    >I'm sure that I'm not the first person to think of this, but what are
    >the limitations instituted by the manufacturers that don't permit
    >someone to get a NetFlix account and a couple hundred DVD-R's and make
    >a personal Library?

    Only the FBI and/or God. And if you use some of the money you save
    from not buying DVDs to help the poor and needy then God probably
    wouldn't care. :) A judge might see it differently though.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Dec 26, 2004
  16. AbbyEye Guest

    Actually, I donate my spare time to Habitate for Humanity. I know that
    no degree of good necessarily makes up for bad ( Insert any joke about
    Dubya invading Iraq to oust Binladen , and "Freeing" a people that
    don't like Western Politics ). But, with my slightly askewed moral
    compass invairabley pointing towards me...I gotta go with me. What
    would Jesus do? He would have walked.

    AbbyEye, Dec 26, 2004
  17. Kevin Guest

    You will burn in Hell if you do this....but you will have a lot of company.

    Kevin, Dec 26, 2004
  18. In article <>,
    "AbbyEye" <> wrote:

    > Simple fact is this : Those that are in
    > power make the rules so the outcome is 'legal' even if it's wrong.

    And this isn't one of those examples.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 26, 2004
  19. AbbyEye Guest

    I'm glad you think of me as "in power", but alas, I am just a lowly
    Democrate trying to keep my head afloat in a downward economy.

    AbbyEye, Dec 26, 2004
  20. Justin Guest

    Ed Kim wrote on [26 Dec 2004 10:02:57 -0800]:
    > And then there's Anime released in the US. i realize that it's a niche
    > market adn that they need to make profit, but chargin $30 for 3-4 20min
    > episodes ON A DVD-5 is ridiculous.

    Let's see. The ONLY way they make any money from the product is DVD
    sales. There's no movie run, no TV run (except for a few rare examples).

    That's just insane. Some of the license fees they pay for these titles
    are also enormous.

    Justin, Dec 27, 2004