    Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be, maybe some other program
    installed?

    He has nero and dvdshrink, which both fail the burning process

    JF, Jan 24, 2008

  2. JF

    Mike Easter Guest

    JF wrote:
    > My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write
    > about an hours worth of data and then it fails.

    What exactly does 'fails' mean in this context? Is there an error
    message or what?

    > His Processor and Memory are pretty decent ,3000+ &1gb.
    >
    > His motherboard only has 2 ide slots, so he is using an ide
    > controller card for both his dvd drives.
    >
    > Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of
    > both failing at the same time are surely slim.

    What is all of the information about the system to calculate power
    requirements vs PS? PS, mobo/cpu/ram, cards - video, ide controller,
    hdd/s. etc.

    If the PS were inadequate for the hardware, that would be a problem --
    or if somehow the 'flow' of the data from hdd to dvd burner were hitting
    a bottleneck, then you would experience a buffer underrun condition.

    It sounds like there has been 'stuff' added to the original equipment as
    purchased; adding dvd burners, adding ide controller card. How much
    else like video card etc?

    > He has nero and dvdshrink, which both fail the burning process

    .... and say what?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 24, 2008

  3. JF

    ellis_jay Guest

    JF wrote:
    > My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write
    > about an hours worth of data and then it fails.
    >
    > His Processor and Memory are pretty decent ,3000+ &1gb.
    >
    > His motherboard only has 2 ide slots, so he is using an ide
    > controller card for both his dvd drives.
    >
    > Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of
    > both failing at the same time are surely slim.
    >
    > Don't know if this is hardware or software fault.
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be, maybe some other
    > program installed?
    >
    > He has nero and dvdshrink, which both fail the burning process

    Over heating? Check out Sandra lite. Google the link. And Mother Board
    Monitor 5. Google the link. You may find some good info about your
    hardware./drivers.

    --
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his
    government. ___Edward Abbey

    ellis_jay, Jan 24, 2008
  4. JF

    Plato Guest

    JF wrote:

    > My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write about an
    > hours worth of data and then it fails.
    >
    > Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of both
    > failing at the same time are surely slim.

    If both drives are on the same IDE channel, then one bad drive can also
    make the other fail.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 25, 2008
  5. JF

    chuckcar Guest

    "JF" <> wrote in

    > My Father in law's computer has stopped burning discs.It can write
    > about an hours worth of data and then it fails.
    >
    > His Processor and Memory are pretty decent ,3000+ &1gb.
    >
    > His motherboard only has 2 ide slots, so he is using an ide controller
    > card for both his dvd drives.

    And each cable can support up to 4 drives with EIDE. Does he already
    have 4 other drives including hard drives? (2 per cable is easy, 4 can
    be problematic). Generally, you're better off putting each CDROM/DVD on
    a different cable.

    > Both drives are failing, both are different makes, so the chances of
    > both failing at the same time are surely slim.

    Will they play a dvd completely? Can you burn from the hard drive to the
    DVD?

    > Don't know if this is hardware or software fault.

    That's what has to be determined before any fixing is tried.

    > Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be, maybe some other
    > program installed?
    >
    > He has nero and dvdshrink, which both fail the burning process

    Probably not the programs then, does device manager show anything wrong?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 25, 2008
  6. JF

    nobody > Guest

    chuckcar wrote:

    > And each cable can support up to 4 drives with EIDE.

    Since when can you put 4 drives on ONE EIDE cable?

    > Does he already
    > have 4 other drives including hard drives? (2 per cable is easy, 4 can
    > be problematic). Generally, you're better off putting each CDROM/DVD on
    > a different cable.

    Reread the OP. He's using an add-in card extra EIDE controller with 2
    channels.

    nobody >, Jan 25, 2008
  7. JF

    chuckcar Guest

    "nobody >" <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >

    >> And each cable can support up to 4 drives with EIDE.

    > Since when can you put 4 drives on ONE EIDE cable?
    >
    >> Does he already
    >> have 4 other drives including hard drives? (2 per cable is easy, 4
    >> can be problematic). Generally, you're better off putting each
    >> CDROM/DVD on a different cable.

    > Reread the OP. He's using an add-in card extra EIDE controller with 2
    > channels.

    Yes, my guess is that the jumpers' aren't set right. Besides,
    looks like another drive-by anyways.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 26, 2008