    them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are there
    any other progs out there that will let me move these files for burning?

    Cheers
    JF, Jun 10, 2007

  2. JF

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "JF" <> wrote in message
    news:hj%ai.26446$...
    >I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as
    >listed on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.
    >
    > I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are on
    > them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are there
    > any other progs out there that will let me move these files for burning?
    >
    > Cheers

    Why? You probably can't use what's on it anyway. Manufacturers who wish you
    to backup the recovery software/data on the PC usually have an application
    in Windows that's designed specifically to do that. Or they shipped the
    discs you need with the PC - if you got discs, it's the same stuff that's on
    the partition.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 11, 2007

  3. JF

    JF Guest

    > "JF" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as
    >>listed on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.
    >>
    >> I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are
    >> on them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are
    >> there any other progs out there that will let me move these files for
    >> burning?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Why? You probably can't use what's on it anyway. Manufacturers who wish
    > you to backup the recovery software/data on the PC usually have an
    > application in Windows that's designed specifically to do that. Or they
    > shipped the discs you need with the PC - if you got discs, it's the same
    > stuff that's on the partition.

    Didn't get discs with it, I didn't even know there was a recovery partition
    until after it had crashed and I used a version of windows I got bundled
    with another pc.
    JF, Jun 11, 2007
  4. JF

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "JF" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "JF" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as
    >>>listed on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.
    >>>
    >>> I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are
    >>> on them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are
    >>> there any other progs out there that will let me move these files for
    >>> burning?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> Why? You probably can't use what's on it anyway. Manufacturers who wish
    >> you to backup the recovery software/data on the PC usually have an
    >> application in Windows that's designed specifically to do that. Or they
    >> shipped the discs you need with the PC - if you got discs, it's the same
    >> stuff that's on the partition.
    >>

    > Didn't get discs with it, I didn't even know there was a recovery
    > partition until after it had crashed and I used a version of windows I got
    > bundled with another pc.

    Well, perhaps it would have been prudent to read the documentation that
    originally came with the PC. Those recovery partitions typically require
    custom software to access them and reinstall your system to it's original
    state. Just burning them off to a disc is usually a useless endeavor.

    BTW, if your PC had the correct software to use that partition, it probably
    went bye-bye when you reinstalled the system in a manner not planned upon by
    the manufacturer. OR the software is part of a recovery routine embedded in
    the system's hardware - accessed through a key press sequence during boot
    much like accessing BIOS settings. Some manufacturers use that method for
    diagnostics as well.
    WhzzKdd, Jun 11, 2007
  5. JF

    JF Guest

    > "JF" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> "JF" <> wrote in message

    >>> Why? You probably can't use what's on it anyway. Manufacturers who wish
    >>> you to backup the recovery software/data on the PC usually have an
    >>> application in Windows that's designed specifically to do that. Or they
    >>> shipped the discs you need with the PC - if you got discs, it's the same
    >>> stuff that's on the partition.
    >>>

    >> Didn't get discs with it, I didn't even know there was a recovery
    >> partition until after it had crashed and I used a version of windows I
    >> got bundled with another pc.
    >>

    > Well, perhaps it would have been prudent to read the documentation that
    > originally came with the PC.

    It was a computer I bought from a supermarket for my wife to use to do her
    uni work on. The only docs that came with it were on how to set it up.

    > BTW, if your PC had the correct software to use that partition, it
    > probably went bye-bye when you reinstalled the system in a manner not
    > planned upon by the manufacturer. OR the software is part of a recovery
    > routine embedded in the system's hardware - accessed through a key press
    > sequence during boot much like accessing BIOS settings. Some manufacturers
    > use that method for diagnostics as well.

    This seems to be the case

    Thanks for your help anyway
    JF, Jun 11, 2007
  6. JF

    Guest

    "JF" <> wrote:

    >I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as listed
    >on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.
    >
    >I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are on
    >them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are there
    >any other progs out there that will let me move these files for burning?
    >
    >Cheers

    Got a warning.bmp in that recovery partition; that says protected by
    PC Angel?

    NTFS is keeping you from accessing the data, either use partition
    magic to go NTFS > Fat32 (like I did) or use another OS to get around
    NFTS.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    http://www.knoppix.org/

    --