Burning a DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John, Oct 12, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi. I have used Nero Vision Express to make a DVD.

    I first create it to a hard drive folder and it leaves me with just a
    VIDEO_TS folder.

    I then make a blank folder called AUDIO_TS.

    Then I go into Nero Burning Rom and I copy those two folders over to
    burn the DVD.

    However when I play back the DVD there is no Audio even though the
    original Video file I encoded from had audio.

    What have I done wrong?

    Should I not have made a blank AUDIO_TS folder to copy over? Should I
    have just burning the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD?

    These are the instructions I always follow for burning a DVD after I
    have encoded the files and in the past I haven't had this issue:

    --

    Run Nero Burning Rom.

    If the Wizard starts up, please close it.

    1. Select DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)

    2. Click New, and then the label UDF .

    3. Select Physical partition, File system UDF 1.02 and check
    the box "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (required for
    Xbox TM)"

    4. Drag & drop the two folders (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS)
    from the File browser (right side) to the New compilation (left side).

    5. Click the Write-CD dialogue button.

    --

    Thanks very much for any help you can offer on this.

    John
    John, Oct 12, 2006

  2. John

    Mikey Guest

    When you create a DVD with nero, select DVD VIDEO option.

    Drag all the files from within YOUR VIDEO_TS folder into the one Nero
    creates.

    Thats it. AUDIO_TS does not need to be touched.

    Then click on burn.

    Mikey
    Mikey, Oct 12, 2006

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:19:22 GMT, "Mikey" <> wrote:

    >When you create a DVD with nero, select DVD VIDEO option.
    >
    >Drag all the files from within YOUR VIDEO_TS folder into the one Nero
    >creates.
    >
    >Thats it. AUDIO_TS does not need to be touched.
    >
    >Then click on burn.
    >
    >Mikey

    Hi. Yes I have just tried it this way as well and its made toast of
    another dvd. It has the video but no sound.

    When I go back into Nero Vision Express, open the project, and click
    next until I get to the preview section when I click play in there it
    plays fine with video and sound.

    I have gone into Video Options and it is set as the following:

    Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Quality Setting: High Quality
    Sample Format: Progressive
    Encoding Mode: High Quality (2-Pass VBR)
    Audio Format: Stereo

    I don't suppose anyone has any ideas what might be the problem?

    Will changing the Audio format to Automatic or Dolby Digital (AC-3)
    2.0 make any difference or should this not matter?

    It seems really strange that within Nero Vision Express in the preview
    the sound is fine, but when I try and burn it to a DVD after writing
    to a hard disk folder there is no sound.

    Thanks

    John
    John, Oct 12, 2006
  4. John

    Mikey Guest

    Changing the audio format could help.

    Does the DVD play on your PC once burned?

    You may be able to just change the sound settings on the DVD player.

    I would try the sound settings in nero first. If your trying to convert
    DIVX or XVID to DVD I would highly reccomend ConvertXtoDVD. Really easy to
    use, and automatic.

    May be worth getting some DVD RWs so if you make a mistake you can try
    again. No discs wasted. Under 50p each now.

    Good luck

    Mike
    Mikey, Oct 12, 2006
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:16:18 GMT, "Mikey" <> wrote:

    >Changing the audio format could help.
    >
    >Does the DVD play on your PC once burned?

    Yes it plays no probs just no sound appears to be getting burned onto
    the disc.

    >You may be able to just change the sound settings on the DVD player.

    I think it is definitely the disc where the sound isn't getting burned
    onto for some strange reason.

    >I would try the sound settings in nero first. If your trying to convert
    >DIVX or XVID to DVD I would highly reccomend ConvertXtoDVD. Really easy to
    >use, and automatic.

    At the moment my files are in AVI format, these are the video files I
    used in Nero to create the folders to burn. It plays fine within Nero
    in the preview section with both sound and video.

    >May be worth getting some DVD RWs so if you make a mistake you can try
    >again. No discs wasted. Under 50p each now.

    That's a very good point. I will have to go out and buy some. I have
    only got a load of DVD-Rs at the moment.

    John
    John, Oct 13, 2006
  6. John

    Mikey Guest

    Hi John,

    ConvertXtoDVD will convert almost all formats to DVD including .MOV .AVI
    ..XVID and even FLS recently. Plus spades loads more.

    Worth downloading the demo, will last 21 days. You wont be disappointed.

    If you need any help on it just ask.

    Have fun.

    Mike
    Mikey, Oct 13, 2006
  7. John

    Travis Guest

    You have to burn it to a DVD, not the HD
    ===========================

    Travis, Oct 14, 2006
  8. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:16:28 GMT, "Travis" <> wrote:

    >You have to burn it to a DVD, not the HD
    >===========================

    Why? In the past I have burned to Hard Drive and then to DVD without
    any problems? It gives you the option to do either.

    The reason I have always preferred to burn to Hard Drive folder first
    is because if anything goes wrong during the process to a blank DVD
    you are more likely to toast your media.

    Usually if you burn to HD first it is better because you can leave
    your computer encoding it, then you can just burn it to DVD
    afterwards.

    If I am getting a disc without any sound after burning from the files
    that were encoded to the Hard Drive folder first, why would it be any
    different burning directly to DVD? I would still have the same
    problem, a DVD disc without any sound.

    It must be something else that is wrong that I need to do. I am going
    to have to buy some blank DVD-RWs to test on because I'm not prepared
    to waste any more blanks. Unless of course someone can tell me for
    definite what the issue might be?

    John
    John, Oct 15, 2006
  9. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:45:20 GMT, "Mikey" <> wrote:

    >Hi John,
    >
    >ConvertXtoDVD will convert almost all formats to DVD including .MOV .AVI
    >.XVID and even FLS recently. Plus spades loads more.
    >
    >Worth downloading the demo, will last 21 days. You wont be disappointed.

    I don't really need another program to do this. The program I have
    will already convert to any format without any problems.

    I just need to know why I am not getting any sound when burning to DVD
    disc. There must be something I am doing wrong.

    John
    John, Oct 15, 2006
  10. John

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:12:00 +0100, John <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:45:20 GMT, "Mikey" <> wrote:

    >>Hi John,
    >>
    >>ConvertXtoDVD will convert almost all formats to DVD including .MOV .AVI
    >>.XVID and even FLS recently. Plus spades loads more.
    >>
    >>Worth downloading the demo, will last 21 days. You wont be disappointed.

    >I don't really need another program to do this. The program I have
    >will already convert to any format without any problems.

    >I just need to know why I am not getting any sound when burning to DVD
    >disc. There must be something I am doing wrong.

    Can you play other DVDs with sound?
    Have you tried those disks on a home/consumer dvd player?

    audio is internal to the mpeg2 video files; it shouldn't be possible for the
    audio alone to get hosed if your source file has the audio.
    AZ Nomad, Oct 15, 2006
  11. John

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:06:09 +0100, John <> Gave us:

    >Hi. I have used Nero

    Wrong group, dipshit!
    JoeBloe, Oct 15, 2006
  12. John

    Dave C. Guest

    > John wrote:
    >
    > It must be something else that is wrong that I need to do. I am going
    > to have to buy some blank DVD-RWs to test on because I'm not prepared
    > to waste any more blanks. Unless of course someone can tell me for
    > definite what the issue might be?
    >
    > John

    John,

    On my CD-DVD burner, I have a cable that runs from the burner to a connector
    on my sound card. Why I mention this is that I had a CD burner/DVD reader
    in my computer that failed last month. I bought a new CD/DVD burner which
    came with Nero 6 software.

    When I took out the failed CD burner, there was no audio cable from the
    burner to the cound card. The new burner came with an audio cable that was
    required to be connected from the burner to the audio card (as well as to
    the IDE cable and power connector, of course).

    I do not know any more about this, but maybe someone else can say the if you
    do not have the audio cable, (and you may very well have one connected) it
    is a consideration.

    Dave C.
    Dave C., Oct 16, 2006
  13. John

    Jeff Guest

    "Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in

    >> John wrote:
    >>
    >> It must be something else that is wrong that I need to do. I am going
    >> to have to buy some blank DVD-RWs to test on because I'm not prepared
    >> to waste any more blanks. Unless of course someone can tell me for
    >> definite what the issue might be?
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > John,
    >
    > On my CD-DVD burner, I have a cable that runs from the burner to a
    > connector on my sound card. Why I mention this is that I had a CD
    > burner/DVD reader in my computer that failed last month. I bought a
    > new CD/DVD burner which came with Nero 6 software.
    >
    > When I took out the failed CD burner, there was no audio cable from
    > the burner to the cound card. The new burner came with an audio cable
    > that was required to be connected from the burner to the audio card
    > (as well as to the IDE cable and power connector, of course).
    >
    > I do not know any more about this, but maybe someone else can say the
    > if you do not have the audio cable, (and you may very well have one
    > connected) it is a consideration.
    >
    > Dave C.

    That cable is for the audio when you play a CD to go directly to the
    sound card, bypassing the IDE cable (and usually unnecessary). It is not
    a factor when burning DVDs.
    Jeff, Oct 16, 2006
  14. John

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:24:47 GMT, Jeff <> wrote:

    >"Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in

    >>> John wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It must be something else that is wrong that I need to do. I am going
    >>> to have to buy some blank DVD-RWs to test on because I'm not prepared
    >>> to waste any more blanks. Unless of course someone can tell me for
    >>> definite what the issue might be?
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>>

    >> John,
    >>
    >> On my CD-DVD burner, I have a cable that runs from the burner to a
    >> connector on my sound card. Why I mention this is that I had a CD
    >> burner/DVD reader in my computer that failed last month. I bought a
    >> new CD/DVD burner which came with Nero 6 software.
    >>
    >> When I took out the failed CD burner, there was no audio cable from
    >> the burner to the cound card. The new burner came with an audio cable
    >> that was required to be connected from the burner to the audio card
    >> (as well as to the IDE cable and power connector, of course).
    >>
    >> I do not know any more about this, but maybe someone else can say the
    >> if you do not have the audio cable, (and you may very well have one
    >> connected) it is a consideration.
    >>
    >> Dave C.
    >>

    >That cable is for the audio when you play a CD to go directly to the
    >sound card, bypassing the IDE cable (and usually unnecessary). It is not
    >a factor when burning DVDs.

    No, but it sure might be a factor during playback. I tried to ask if the OP had
    tried other DVDs or other players.
    AZ Nomad, Oct 16, 2006
  15. John

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:24:47 GMT, Jeff <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in

    >>> John,
    >>>
    >>> On my CD-DVD burner, I have a cable that runs from the burner to a
    >>> connector on my sound card. Why I mention this is that I had a CD
    >>> burner/DVD reader in my computer that failed last month. I bought a
    >>> new CD/DVD burner which came with Nero 6 software.
    >>>
    >>> When I took out the failed CD burner, there was no audio cable from
    >>> the burner to the cound card. The new burner came with an audio cable
    >>> that was required to be connected from the burner to the audio card
    >>> (as well as to the IDE cable and power connector, of course).
    >>>
    >>> I do not know any more about this, but maybe someone else can say the
    >>> if you do not have the audio cable, (and you may very well have one
    >>> connected) it is a consideration.
    >>>
    >>> Dave C.
    >>>

    >> That cable is for the audio when you play a CD to go directly to the
    >> sound card, bypassing the IDE cable (and usually unnecessary). It is not
    >> a factor when burning DVDs.

    > No, but it sure might be a factor during playback. I tried to ask if the OP had
    > tried other DVDs or other players.

    Nup - the cable is not required.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Oct 17, 2006
  16. John

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:53:18 +0800, Oldus Fartus <> wrote:

    >AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 04:24:47 GMT, Jeff <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in

    >>> That cable is for the audio when you play a CD to go directly to the
    >>> sound card, bypassing the IDE cable (and usually unnecessary). It is not
    >>> a factor when burning DVDs.

    >> No, but it sure might be a factor during playback. I tried to ask if the OP had
    >> tried other DVDs or other players.

    >Nup - the cable is not required.

    You tried other DVD players?
    You tried other DVDs in your PC?
    AZ Nomad, Oct 17, 2006
  17. John

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:53:18 +0800, Oldus Fartus <> wrote:
    >

    >> AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>> No, but it sure might be a factor during playback. I tried to ask if the OP had
    >>> tried other DVDs or other players.

    >> Nup - the cable is not required.

    > You tried other DVD players?
    > You tried other DVDs in your PC?

    I am not the one having the problems, but yes, regardless of the DVD
    player or DVD disc or PC, the audio cable when playing DVDs is not
    required. The audio has to be decoded from what is effectively an MPEG
    stream, and to my knowledge no PC DVD drive has the necessary decoder.
    The stream is passed via the IDE bus to either a hardware or software
    decoder in the computer.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Oct 17, 2006
  18. John

    Dave C. Guest

    >>> Nup - the cable is not required.

    >> You tried other DVD players?
    >> You tried other DVDs in your PC?

    > I am not the one having the problems, but yes, regardless of the DVD
    > player or DVD disc or PC, the audio cable when playing DVDs is not
    > required. The audio has to be decoded from what is effectively an MPEG
    > stream, and to my knowledge no PC DVD drive has the necessary decoder. The
    > stream is passed via the IDE bus to either a hardware or software decoder
    > in the computer.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    Thanks for the information on the cable.

    Regards, Dave C.
    Dave C., Oct 17, 2006
  19. John

    Guest

    Hi. I have always used WinAvi to convert all my DVDs. I have read all
    what the users have said. You have alsways used Nero to burn. Am i
    correct? Is it one certain movie you are trying to burn? Did you
    download it from a P2P site? Do you have all the codecs needed to
    playback the DVD? Sometimes Nero doesn't carry over the right codec to
    playback certain items. I have used nero in the past and had almost the
    same problem. Somestimes i don't get video and only audio and vice
    versa. It usually is the movie I am converting. Have you tried a
    different movie? Was this a copyrighted movie and you are now trying to
    burn? There are so many possibilites for it to just be audio. I would
    try a different program to convert just to see if it is the movie.
    Winavi is good after you convert it you have an option to burn to nero.
    well good luck. I hope this made you ponder some thoughts around.

    Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > AZ Nomad wrote:

    > >> Nup - the cable is not required.

    > > You tried other DVD players?
    > > You tried other DVDs in your PC?

    > I am not the one having the problems, but yes, regardless of the DVD
    > player or DVD disc or PC, the audio cable when playing DVDs is not
    > required. The audio has to be decoded from what is effectively an MPEG
    > stream, and to my knowledge no PC DVD drive has the necessary decoder.
    > The stream is passed via the IDE bus to either a hardware or software
    > decoder in the computer.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus
    , Oct 17, 2006
  20. John

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi. I have always used WinAvi to convert all my DVDs. I have read all
    > what the users have said. You have alsways used Nero to burn. Am i
    > correct? Is it one certain movie you are trying to burn? Did you
    > download it from a P2P site? Do you have all the codecs needed to
    > playback the DVD? Sometimes Nero doesn't carry over the right codec to
    > playback certain items. I have used nero in the past and had almost the
    > same problem. Somestimes i don't get video and only audio and vice
    > versa. It usually is the movie I am converting. Have you tried a
    > different movie? Was this a copyrighted movie and you are now trying to
    > burn? There are so many possibilites for it to just be audio. I would
    > try a different program to convert just to see if it is the movie.
    > Winavi is good after you convert it you have an option to burn to nero.
    > well good luck. I hope this made you ponder some thoughts around.

    For a teknikal guru you are a fucking idiot.

    I am not having problems burning DVDs.
    I am not having problems playing DVDs.
    I have no need to try another DVD burning or authoring program.
    I have no need to try another conversion program.

    I also know how to use a newsreader, rather than post through
    googlefucking groups.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus