    this.

    Thanks!
    Scott
    Scott, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Scott

    Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Please pardon my density, but I'm new at this. I figured out how
    > to download movies from my Canon camcorder via Firewire. I'm using
    > ArcSoft ShowBiz for video editing. I made a 2-minute test file, and
    > it comes out as 426MB in .avi format. After converting the file to
    > .mpeg, it's 32MB in size. I've got 2 hours of movies to burn onto a
    > DVD (I will install the DVD burner tomorrow). Can I assume the
    > DVD burner (with Nero 6) will convert from .avi to .mpeg before
    > ripping? If 2 minutes is 32MB, then two hours should fill about
    > 2gb on the DVD. Should I let Nero do all the converting, or are those
    > huge .avi files going to overwhelm my 80GB hard drive?
    >
    > I'm just trying to figure out what standard procedure is for all of
    > this.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott

    I do not know about ArcSoft ShowBiz, but here is how you would proceed
    using Pinnacle Studio 9:

    1) Capture your tape to your computer thru the firewire connection at
    full DV quality. This will take about 4gb for every 18 minutes of video
    (about 13.5gb/hour).

    2) Edit out unwanted material, adding fades/transitions, etc.

    3) If you are short on hard drive space, you can render the project to a
    new .avi file then delete the original captured footage.

    4) Create a menu if you want to.

    5) Select Create DVD. At this point you will need at least 5gb of free
    space on your hard drive for all the files that Studio will create.

    If all goes well, a couple of hours later, you will have a finished DVD.

    If you find yourself running out of hard drive space, then get a second
    drive. They are cheep and easy to install. Get the largest one you can
    afford (at least 120gb).
    , Feb 9, 2005

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    > I do not know about ArcSoft ShowBiz, but here is how you would proceed
    > using Pinnacle Studio 9:
    >
    > 1) Capture your tape to your computer thru the firewire connection at
    > full DV quality. This will take about 4gb for every 18 minutes of video
    > (about 13.5gb/hour).
    >
    > 2) Edit out unwanted material, adding fades/transitions, etc.
    >
    > 3) If you are short on hard drive space, you can render the project to a
    > new .avi file then delete the original captured footage.
    >
    > 4) Create a menu if you want to.
    >
    > 5) Select Create DVD. At this point you will need at least 5gb of free
    > space on your hard drive for all the files that Studio will create.
    >
    > If all goes well, a couple of hours later, you will have a finished DVD.
    >
    > If you find yourself running out of hard drive space, then get a second
    > drive. They are cheep and easy to install. Get the largest one you can
    > afford (at least 120gb).

    eaglecrest,

    So, when Nero 6 rips a DVD, does it record it in the .mpeg format?

    Scott
    Scott, Feb 9, 2005
  4. Scott

    Otter Guest

    You need to convert the avi file to a DVD compliant mpg file. You may
    want to edit the movie.

    I use Ulead Media Studio Pro for my editing and rendering, but there
    are plenty of products out there.

    www.videohelp.com

    -Otter
    Otter, Feb 10, 2005
  5. Scott

    Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > > I do not know about ArcSoft ShowBiz, but here is how you would proceed
    > > using Pinnacle Studio 9:
    > >
    > > 1) Capture your tape to your computer thru the firewire connection at
    > > full DV quality. This will take about 4gb for every 18 minutes of video
    > > (about 13.5gb/hour).
    > >
    > > 2) Edit out unwanted material, adding fades/transitions, etc.
    > >
    > > 3) If you are short on hard drive space, you can render the project to a
    > > new .avi file then delete the original captured footage.
    > >
    > > 4) Create a menu if you want to.
    > >
    > > 5) Select Create DVD. At this point you will need at least 5gb of free
    > > space on your hard drive for all the files that Studio will create.
    > >
    > > If all goes well, a couple of hours later, you will have a finished DVD.
    > >
    > > If you find yourself running out of hard drive space, then get a second
    > > drive. They are cheep and easy to install. Get the largest one you can
    > > afford (at least 120gb).

    > eaglecrest,
    >
    > So, when Nero 6 rips a DVD, does it record it in the .mpeg format?
    >
    > Scott

    DVD's are in a MPEG2 format, which is a kind of mpeg. The actual dvd
    video ends up in a .vob file.

    http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html has all the info you could
    possible want.

    Bill
    , Feb 10, 2005
  6. Scott

    1@2.3 Guest

    Whatever you do, never burn a DVD in the house. There have been over
    10,000 house fires in the last year alone from people burning DVDs in
    their homes.

    1@2.3, Apr 13, 2005
  7. <1@2.3> wrote in message news:...
    > Whatever you do, never burn a DVD in the house. There have been over
    > 10,000 house fires in the last year alone from people burning DVDs in
    > their homes.

    And - never burn one in a microwave............

    Stuart Miller, Apr 13, 2005