    speed down to absolute minimum but this doesn't make any difference.
    does anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

    Paul

    Paul Bennett, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Paul Bennett

    old jon Guest

    "Paul Bennett" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > this is probably off-topic but I recently bought a new car with a CD
    > player and I tried playing some burned CDs in it. they "jumped" like an
    > old vinyl record (remember those?) and I wondered if I could improve
    > things by using a different grade of recordable CD. I am using Ridata
    > silver ones and wondered if the grade of disk makes any difference. I've
    > tried slowing the burning speed down to absolute minimum but this doesn't
    > make any difference.
    > does anyone know anything about this sort of thing?
    >
    > Paul

    Hi Paul Have you tested the same CDs on your computer ?.
    If so, and they are OK, it sounds like the car CD`er is in trouble.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Paul Bennett

    John Holmes Guest

    Paul Bennett blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > this is probably off-topic but I recently bought a new car with a CD
    > player and I tried playing some burned CDs in it. they "jumped" like
    > an old vinyl record (remember those?) and I wondered if I could
    > improve things by using a different grade of recordable CD. I am using
    > Ridata silver ones and wondered if the grade of disk makes any
    > difference. I've tried slowing the burning speed down to absolute
    > minimum but this doesn't make any difference. does anyone know
    > anything about this sort of thing?
    >
    > Paul

    Sounds like the needle needs to be replaced.

    --
    Your mother was a homophobic nincompoop who got drunk with a baboon in
    brothels.

    John Holmes, Dec 17, 2005
  4. Paul Bennett

    Paul Bennett Guest

    thanks for the excellent suggestion! i always thought sarcasm was a
    substitute for wit and you've just proved it

    Paul Bennett, Dec 18, 2005
  5. Howdy!

    > this is probably off-topic but I recently bought a new car with a CD

    player
    > and I tried playing some burned CDs in it. they "jumped" like an old vinyl
    > record (remember those?) and I wondered if I could improve things by using

    > different grade of recordable CD. I am using Ridata silver ones and

    wondered
    > if the grade of disk makes any difference. I've tried slowing the burning
    > speed down to absolute minimum but this doesn't make any difference.
    > does anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

    Yep. You can try using different disks, but you might be stuck with
    that, until you replace your deck with one guaranteed to be "CD-R/CD-RW
    compatible".

    See, there's a difference in reflectivity between the various
    production technologies. The exact numbers I'm about to use might not be
    right - but you can Google for the exact numbers B)

    A pressed CD (like you'd buy at Wal-Mart or FYE's) will have a
    variance of over 250% between a "1" and a "0", or a "Pit" and a "land".

    A burned CD-R will have more like 150%.

    And a CD-RW ? About 75% (that is, if you assign a reflectivity of
    1 to the pit, the land will be 1.75 )

    What's happening is that your car player is having trouble reading
    those burned CDs because there's not enough variance between the 1s and the
    0s.

    You can try different media, to see if any are more legible.

    But the BEST solution I've found? MP3 player and FM transmitter to
    car radio B) I currently use a little cigarette lighter / AUX power adapter
    that broadcasts straight into my car radio. Doesn't supply power for my MP3
    player - but I've seen units that do both for iPods.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 18, 2005
  6. Paul Bennett

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Ralph Wade Phillips spewed forth:
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Paul Bennett" <> wrote in message
    >> this is probably off-topic but I recently bought a new car with a CD
    >> player and I tried playing some burned CDs in it. they "jumped" like
    >> an old vinyl record (remember those?) and I wondered if I could
    >> improve things by using a different grade of recordable CD. I am
    >> using Ridata silver ones and wondered if the grade of disk makes any
    >> difference. I've tried slowing the burning speed down to absolute
    >> minimum but this doesn't make any difference.
    >> does anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

    > Yep. You can try using different disks, but you might be stuck
    > with that, until you replace your deck with one guaranteed to be
    > "CD-R/CD-RW compatible".
    >
    > See, there's a difference in reflectivity between the various
    > production technologies. The exact numbers I'm about to use might
    > not be right - but you can Google for the exact numbers B)
    >
    > A pressed CD (like you'd buy at Wal-Mart or FYE's) will have a
    > variance of over 250% between a "1" and a "0", or a "Pit" and a
    > "land".
    >
    > A burned CD-R will have more like 150%.
    >
    > And a CD-RW ? About 75% (that is, if you assign a
    > reflectivity of 1 to the pit, the land will be 1.75 )
    >
    > What's happening is that your car player is having trouble
    > reading those burned CDs because there's not enough variance between
    > the 1s and the 0s.
    >
    > You can try different media, to see if any are more legible.
    >
    > But the BEST solution I've found? MP3 player and FM
    > transmitter to car radio B) I currently use a little cigarette
    > lighter / AUX power adapter that broadcasts straight into my car
    > radio. Doesn't supply power for my MP3 player - but I've seen units
    > that do both for iPods.
    >
    > RwP

    Or buy a nice new car stero (for less $$ than many MP3 players) that plays
    MP3 files from a CDR or CDRW data disc.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 18, 2005