Burned ATX 12V 2x2 plug

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by Snarf2000, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Snarf2000

Snarf2000

I have had a strange encounter yesterday: I dealt with a PC which kept on hanging solid after a few minutes running. First I thought it was WinXP but the same happened in the CMOS settings and DOS mode. I tested every single peace of hardware and concluded that it must be the motherboard.

I started to remove the motherboard to take it for replacement, as it is (or was rather) in warranty (only 4 months old). Then, all of a sudden I noticed that the ATX12V 2x2 connector was burned up! How on earth can 12V melt plastic???

The PC was connected to a UPS, and connected to a lightning protector power socket, so it could not have been a power surge, nor lightning. Obviously the warranty on the motherboard is gone, as they would note it as "user-damage". The power supply has been working fine with the previous motherboard, so I don't understand what caused it, except for a faulty system board maybe? I fitted a new 2x2 12V connector onto the motherboard (taken from an old broken motherboard) but now I worry that this new 2x2 12V connector will be damaged again. I replaced the power supply as well, just for incase.

Has anyone encountered a similar occurrence?

Snarf2000, Oct 5, 2007
    1. Advertising