    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074°N 117.754°W
    gary [] donavan [] org * http://www [] donavan [] org
    "The two most abundant substance in the Universe are hydrogen
    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Gary G. Taylor

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:42:06 +0000, Gary G. Taylor Has Frothed:

    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ
    >
    > Clip from a German television show showing how keys are now useless and
    > how your home is wide open. MUST-SEE.

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. that sucks

    Meat Plow, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Gary G. Taylor

    SgtMinor Guest

    Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ
    >
    > Clip from a German television show showing how keys are now useless and
    > how your home is wide open. MUST-SEE.

    Well, that is scary, and the half million + views give even more
    cause for worry.

    There's an article explaining the method in detail here:
    http://www.toool.nl/bumping.pdf

    One minor issue: the show aired on Dutch TV.
    SgtMinor, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Gary G. Taylor

    BIG NIGE Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ
    >>
    >> Clip from a German television show showing how keys are now useless and
    >> how your home is wide open. MUST-SEE.
    >>

    > Well, that is scary, and the half million + views give even more cause for
    > worry.
    >
    > There's an article explaining the method in detail here:
    > http://www.toool.nl/bumping.pdf
    >
    > One minor issue: the show aired on Dutch TV.

    Im in the security industry and have been aware of this practice for well
    over a year now.
    The scary thing is, it is known about but has never been publicised in this
    country (UK) by the powers that be.
    I have spoken to Police contacts asking whether they have had any kind of
    increase in reported thefts where this method could have been used but these
    things are mostly listed as (Inside Job or Forgot to lock door) with this
    method not being considered as an option.
    The Insurance industry is well aware of this method also, but they will keep
    it quiet for as long as possible because they can class this type of entry
    as (Door not locked - NO CLAIM). Saves them a lot of money.
    BIG NIGE, Aug 23, 2006
  5. Gary G. Taylor

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Look how easy it is to get and cheap.
    http://bumpkeys.jinestudios.com/?gclid=COj_5M6z9oYCFUsbGAodvUxJXg

    pcbutts1, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Gary G. Taylor

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-23, BIG NIGE <> wrote:

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    >> Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ
    >>>
    >>> Clip from a German television show showing how keys are now useless and
    >>> how your home is wide open. MUST-SEE.
    >>>

    >> Well, that is scary, and the half million + views give even more cause for
    >> worry.
    >>
    >> There's an article explaining the method in detail here:
    >> http://www.toool.nl/bumping.pdf
    >>
    >> One minor issue: the show aired on Dutch TV.

    > Im in the security industry and have been aware of this practice for well
    > over a year now.
    > The scary thing is, it is known about but has never been publicised in this
    > country (UK) by the powers that be.
    > I have spoken to Police contacts asking whether they have had any kind of
    > increase in reported thefts where this method could have been used but these
    > things are mostly listed as (Inside Job or Forgot to lock door) with this
    > method not being considered as an option.
    > The Insurance industry is well aware of this method also, but they will keep
    > it quiet for as long as possible because they can class this type of entry
    > as (Door not locked - NO CLAIM). Saves them a lot of money.

    Standard advice (sometimes a requirement in the terms of the policy) from
    most insurers in the UK has been, for at least 30 years, to have at least
    one five-lever mortice deadlock on exterior doors which are required to be
    used for gaining entry. Cylinder locks of the type described in the links
    above, have never been considered adequate on their own. (Windows and
    patio doors fitted with cylinder locks should also have sash-bolts with no
    externel key-hole, so that even if the cylinder lock is succesfully
    opened the door or window still cannot be moved).

    See
    <http://www.abi.org.uk/Display/default.asp?Menu_ID=946&Menu_All=1,946,0&Child_ID=128>

    There are, and have been for many years, 'double-locking' rim locks that
    require two or three complete rotations of the key, which would seem to
    complicate the 'bumping' technique if not make it useless. Some
    incorporate a 'dead bolt' as well, to resist manipulation of the bolt
    using a sheet of plastic eased into the gap between door and frame. Even
    with such a lock, you should also have a good mortice (ie embedded in the
    thickness of the door) 5-lever deadlock if at all possible.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 23, 2006
  7. Gary G. Taylor

    Frosty Guest

    As the sun rose on Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:42:06 GMT, the distinguished
    and oh so talented "Gary G. Taylor" <> climbed
    up to the podium, shuffled some papers, took a sip of ice water and
    shouted in a loud voice:

    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ
    >
    >Clip from a German television show showing how keys are now useless and
    >how your home is wide open. MUST-SEE.

    Or they could just break a window...
    Frosty, Aug 25, 2006