    Gary

    --
    To reply via email, remove all capital letters from my email address.
    Gary, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Gary

    Chet Guest

    I have seen bulk Cat 5 cable at Home Depot but I can't say whether any of it
    is black.

    Chet, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Gary

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in

    > I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other
    > areas in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a
    > 250' roll or possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my
    > home (direct sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and
    > humidity). I want it to

    .... How far are you going to run with this cable? There are limitations
    to how far you can run an ethernet cable before the signal degrades too
    much.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Gary

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Gary" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other
    > > areas in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a
    > > 250' roll or possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my
    > > home (direct sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and
    > > humidity). I want it to
    > >

    > ... How far are you going to run with this cable? There are limitations
    > to how far you can run an ethernet cable before the signal degrades too
    > much.
    >
    > --

    Aren't there issues with running (some) cables outside of your house?
    Grounding issues for lightning and all? I remember seeing some cables that
    were rated for outdoors, some that weren't...
    Adam Steiner, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I think the longest run would be 150'.

    Thanks,
    Gary

    Gary, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Gary

    Robert Baer Guest

    Chet wrote:

    > I have seen bulk Cat 5 cable at Home Depot but I can't say whether any of it
    > is black.
    > "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other areas
    > > in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a 250' roll or
    > > possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my home (direct
    > > sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and humidity). I want it

    > > be black. Any recommendations? Is there a difference between Cat 5e and
    > > FastCAT (I saw J & R Music World selling this stuff, made by Belkin)?
    > > Other? What is the best to use now? One run will go to my kids' computer
    > > in the playroom and the other run will go to my TV/Home Theater area for
    > > future use.
    > >
    > > In addition to which type I should use, where is the best place to buy it?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Gary
    > >
    > > --
    > > To reply via email, remove all capital letters from my email address.

    Isn't the max spec length about 350 feet?
    Robert Baer, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Gary

    DH Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need a bulk roll of Cat 5 cable to run from my computer to 2 other areas
    > in my house. I'm going to measure, but I assume I'll need a 250' roll or
    > possibly a 500' roll. Some of it will run outside of my home (direct
    > sunlight, rain, intense southern Louisiana heat and humidity). I want it

    > be black. Any recommendations? Is there a difference between Cat 5e and
    > FastCAT (I saw J & R Music World selling this stuff, made by Belkin)?
    > Other? What is the best to use now? One run will go to my kids' computer
    > in the playroom and the other run will go to my TV/Home Theater area for
    > future use.
    >
    > In addition to which type I should use, where is the best place to buy it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Gary
    >
    > --
    > To reply via email, remove all capital letters from my email address.

    A very good answer to your question and others can be found here:
    http://www.theheadwaters.com/cables/faq.htm#7

    HIH,

    Dave H.
    DH, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Very good info!
    Thanks,
    Gary

    Gary, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Gary

    Wizard Guest

    1) Each run must be limited to 100 Meters.
    2) I know of no cable that can survive outside or direct burial. It will
    need to be in a water tight PVC pipe. (I it were me I would buy
    "shielded" cat5E, which costs 3 times as much)
    3) Cable generally comes in 1000 ft spools, although smaller ones can be
    found.
    4) Finding Black will not be much of a problem, however, following
    number 2 above, it isn't an issue.
    5) Never heard of FastCat

    Wizard, Oct 28, 2003