Buliding a computer for the first time - Will this work?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Peter S., Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Peter S.

    Peter S. Guest

    Peter S., Nov 19, 2003

  2. Peter S.

    Guest

    On 18 Nov 2003 17:18:24 -0800, (Peter S.)
    wrote:

    >Hey,
    >
    >I'm going to building a computer for the first time and I need some
    >advice. I have already got it set out, but I just need to know if it
    >will work and all.
    >
    >http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=483361
    >
    >Thanks!

    I'm not the expert. I built a computer only once many years ago.

    Seems like, if you are going to spend the bucks, you might get 400FSB
    and adjust memory and processor accordingly. Somebody here might
    suggest a stronger power supply.

    Your list does raise an interesting question. If you are doing it for
    love and experience, that's valid. But I'm not sure if you can save
    money, because the big sellers are getting quantity discounts. MAybe
    somebody here can clarify this.

    I like the hard drive.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem
    , Nov 19, 2003

  3. Peter S.

    Todd Howard Guest

    Looks pretty decent....One of my drives is that exact one....great
    drive.....I am a little leary on the motherboard....I personally run the
    Asus A7N8X Dlx....I have a friend build one with that Soltek and we had
    nothing but problems getting it to POST....If you go with the Asus board,
    you can ditch the NIC and soundcard from that config....as they are
    onboard....I actually took out an Audigy 2 to use the onboard Soundstorm on
    my mobo.....sounds great....and plays a lot better with my speakers (Yamaha
    TSS-1) then the Audigy did....Also it looks as though the CPU is
    OEM....couple of things to remember....AFAIK there is no warranty on OEM
    CPU's and if you decide to go with the OEM one, dont forget to order a
    heatsink and fan setup....cause they usually dont come with one...
    Looks to be a nice machine otherwise though....
    Good Luck with your build....
    Todd

    Todd Howard, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Peter S.

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Peter S.) wrote in

    > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&sub
    > mit=VIEW&ID=483361

    If you dropped the NIC, it would only be a few bucks difference between the
    motherboard you have chosen and an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe, which makes the
    Soltek board look like childsplay

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Peter S.

    Night_Seer Guest

    Peter S. wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I'm going to building a computer for the first time and I need some
    > advice. I have already got it set out, but I just need to know if it
    > will work and all.

    http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=483361

    > Thanks!

    Spend 20 bucks more and get the 3000+ with the 400mhz FSB rather
    than the one you have at 333Mhz fsb. And the other suggestions here are
    good as well.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Peter S.

    Peter S. Guest

    Thank you for your responses.

    I have updated the list to get the Asus mobo, and have made some other
    minor tweaks. My CPU now has a heatsink too.

    One more question: As you can see I plan to have two CD-drives, a hard
    drive, and a floppy drive. My question, is will I have enough power
    and cables to connect them all?
    Peter S., Nov 19, 2003
  7. Peter S.

    gene Guest

    Antec power supplies are very well regarded. I recently bought a case
    similar to yours and I don't envision any problems with it. Even with
    your current component set up, I think you will have enough overhead
    to add several more peripherals when that is required.

    I wondered whether I should go with Antec or generic, but I am glad I
    went with Antec due to their reputation for high quality. To use good
    parts everywhere else and cheap out on the PSU is a real shame, and
    that is something you would likely see in a store bought PC.

    You will have an abundance of power connectors too, don't worry about
    that. I had a similar machine built, and there's still lots of
    connectors left over.

    Rest easy Peter,

    gene

    On 19 Nov 2003 08:14:23 -0800, (Peter S.)
    wrote:

    >Thank you for your responses.
    >
    >I have updated the list to get the Asus mobo, and have made some other
    >minor tweaks. My CPU now has a heatsink too.
    >
    >One more question: As you can see I plan to have two CD-drives, a hard
    >drive, and a floppy drive. My question, is will I have enough power
    >and cables to connect them all?

    Please respond to group; email address is just for spam. Thanks!
    gene, Nov 19, 2003