    Rebel XTi/EOS 400D?
    Thanks in advance,
    Shaji.
    shaji, Aug 18, 2007

  2. shaji

    William4 Guest

    > Rebel XTi/EOS 400D?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Shaji.

    Need to be in Manual mode, then just wind down the exposure to 'bulb'.
    William4, Aug 18, 2007

  3. shaji

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:52:29 -0700, shaji <> wrote:
    : Hi, could anyone tell me how to use bulb mode on my Canon Digital
    : Rebel XTi/EOS 400D?
    : Thanks in advance,
    : Shaji.

    Believe it or not, it's explained in the Instruction Manual (p. 71). There's
    even a reference in the index. Also on page 71 is a note on how to combat the
    additional noise that can occur if you use a long exposure.

    It's amazing what you can learn, sometimes, by actually reading the manual.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 18, 2007
  4. shaji

    shaji Guest

    On Aug 19, 3:53 am, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:52:29 -0700, shaji <> wrote:
    >
    > : Hi, could anyone tell me how to use bulb mode on my Canon Digital
    > : Rebel XTi/EOS 400D?
    > : Thanks in advance,
    > : Shaji.
    >
    > Believe it or not, it's explained in the Instruction Manual (p. 71). There's
    > even a reference in the index. Also on page 71 is a note on how to combat the
    > additional noise that can occur if you use a long exposure.
    >
    > It's amazing what you can learn, sometimes, by actually reading the manual.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks friends. Frankly, I never bothered to read the manual. Mea
    culpa :)
    Actually, my question was not clear (again my mistake :) ). I wanted
    to use my remote control ( Canon RC1 )along with the bulb mode. Could
    anyone tell me how to do that?
    Shaji.
    shaji, Aug 19, 2007
  5. shaji

    Matt Ion Guest

    shaji wrote:
    > On Aug 19, 3:53 am, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:52:29 -0700, shaji <> wrote:
    >>
    >> : Hi, could anyone tell me how to use bulb mode on my Canon Digital
    >> : Rebel XTi/EOS 400D?
    >> : Thanks in advance,
    >> : Shaji.
    >>
    >> Believe it or not, it's explained in the Instruction Manual (p. 71). There's
    >> even a reference in the index. Also on page 71 is a note on how to combat the
    >> additional noise that can occur if you use a long exposure.
    >>
    >> It's amazing what you can learn, sometimes, by actually reading the manual.
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Thanks friends. Frankly, I never bothered to read the manual. Mea
    > culpa :)
    > Actually, my question was not clear (again my mistake :) ). I wanted
    > to use my remote control ( Canon RC1 )along with the bulb mode. Could
    > anyone tell me how to do that?
    > Shaji.

    The RC1 doesn't have a manual? :)

    With my RE60 wired remote, you push the button in, then slide the
    locking tab forward to hold it down, and slide the tab back to release.
    Don't know if the RC1 has a similar locking tab... I suppose you'd
    need to be sure to keep it aimed at the camera the whole time as well.
    Matt Ion, Aug 19, 2007
  6. shaji

    Matt Ion Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > shaji wrote:
    >> On Aug 19, 3:53 am, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:52:29 -0700, shaji <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> : Hi, could anyone tell me how to use bulb mode on my Canon Digital
    >>> : Rebel XTi/EOS 400D?
    >>> : Thanks in advance,
    >>> : Shaji.
    >>>
    >>> Believe it or not, it's explained in the Instruction Manual (p. 71).
    >>> There's
    >>> even a reference in the index. Also on page 71 is a note on how to
    >>> combat the
    >>> additional noise that can occur if you use a long exposure.
    >>>
    >>> It's amazing what you can learn, sometimes, by actually reading the
    >>> manual.
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> Thanks friends. Frankly, I never bothered to read the manual. Mea
    >> culpa :)
    >> Actually, my question was not clear (again my mistake :) ). I wanted
    >> to use my remote control ( Canon RC1 )along with the bulb mode. Could
    >> anyone tell me how to do that?
    >> Shaji.

    > The RC1 doesn't have a manual? :)
    >
    > With my RE60 wired remote, you push the button in, then slide the
    > locking tab forward to hold it down, and slide the tab back to release.
    > Don't know if the RC1 has a similar locking tab... I suppose you'd need
    > to be sure to keep it aimed at the camera the whole time as well.

    On second thought, looking at some pictures I found of the RC1, it
    doesn't appear to have a locking mechanism... but this makes sense: in
    addition to the fact that it would have to remain pointed at the camera
    for the whole exposure, it would also be murder on the remote's
    batteries for longer exposures, as it would have to keep the IR LED
    illuminated the whole time.

    I suspect it's simply not designed for this purpose, and you'll probably
    need a wired remote to use BULB mode.
    Matt Ion, Aug 19, 2007
  7. "shaji" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, could anyone tell me how to use bulb mode on my Canon Digital
    > Rebel XTi/EOS 400D?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Shaji.

    Hello.

    A state-of-the-art (well, almost) digital camera and you wish to use a
    technique going back to the 19th century?
    On a dull Sunday morning this really cheered up the day for me.

    If you're using a remote then I think you will need the RS60-E3 and the
    button on it can be locked into the "shutter open" mode.

    It comes with a short lead but has a standard audio jack plug so a standard
    audio extention cable should be helpful if you want to use the camera some
    metres away from you.

    I haven't checked my 350D but my T90 used to have a counter on its LCD that
    showed how many seconds had passed since opening the shutter.

    Have fun and thanks for the smile.

    Now - how about a digital back for a 6" x 8" wet plate camera? :)

    Best wishes,

    Ian,
    Nottingham, England.
    Fred Anonymous, Aug 19, 2007
  8. shaji

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:29:39 +0100, "Fred Anonymous" <> wrote:
    : "shaji" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Hi, could anyone tell me how to use bulb mode on my Canon Digital
    : > Rebel XTi/EOS 400D?
    : > Thanks in advance,
    : > Shaji.
    : >
    :
    : Hello.
    :
[...]

    Ansel Adams was a stickler for ultra-sharpness and and did most of his later
    work with very large negatives. But he was open to new technology and
    predicted that there would be important advances that he wished he could live
    to see. Would he have demanded a 1 Gigapixel digital back for his 8x10 view
    camera? ;^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 19, 2007
  9. shaji

    Matalog Guest

    You press it once to start the exposure and once more to end. Make sure you
    have the shooting mode put to remote/time delay for the remote to work
    atall. If you have the switch to 2 on the remote, it will have a 2 second
    delay first.

    Matt.

    Matalog, Aug 19, 2007
  10. shaji

    Matt Ion Guest

    Matalog wrote:
    > You press it once to start the exposure and once more to end. Make sure you
    > have the shooting mode put to remote/time delay for the remote to work
    > atall. If you have the switch to 2 on the remote, it will have a 2 second
    > delay first.

    Ahhh, okay, so the camera has additional functionality to facilitate
    this? Good to know, thanks. My 300D doesn't do that, AFAIK.
    Matt Ion, Aug 19, 2007
  11. shaji

    Matt Ion Guest

    Fred Anonymous wrote:

    > I haven't checked my 350D but my T90 used to have a counter on its LCD that
    > showed how many seconds had passed since opening the shutter.

    My 300D does that as well, although it maxes out at 999s.
    Matt Ion, Aug 19, 2007