  1. AndreL

    AndreL Guest

    I plan on Builtnig a computer stricly for my training on the MCSA certification. I want to get a 2.4 AMD put a 120GB HD and about 2GB of RAM. I want about 3-4 WM and I was thing of goning for the recommended RAM not the Minimal amount needed - That it says on the box to use. What do you think? Is what I'm want to much or to little. And does any one know of a place that offers exercises to put may studying in to play.

    AndreL, May 26, 2004

  2. AndreL

    simon Guest

    I think you're asking too much. I installed 2003 server
    on P2-300mhz with 40gb hd and it works fine. If you want
    better performance, you go ahead and waste your money,
    but for learning, you don't need that much.

    simon, May 27, 2004

  3. AndreL

    Guest Guest

    her hrehr

    Guest, May 27, 2004
  4. AndreL

    harryph Guest

    way waste ya $$$ on stuff your proberly not going to use,
    ya it might sound good but coop-on, im useing a p2 with
    1gig ram p2 677 and 10 gig hard drive and it dose the job
    fine, evan able to run vp on it with exchange,

    harryph, May 27, 2004
  5. AndreL

    Neil Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmVM?= <> wrote in

    > I plan on Builtnig a computer stricly for my training on the MCSA
    > certification. I want to get a 2.4 AMD put a 120GB HD and about 2GB
    > of RAM. I want about 3-4 WM and I was thing of goning for the
    > recommended RAM not the Minimal amount needed - That it says on the
    > box to use. What do you think? Is what I'm want to much or to little.
    > And does any one know of a place that offers exercises to put may
    > studying in to play.

    while most are pointing you away from a box this large I will position it
    differently. If you want to run 3-4 VMs concurrently the biggest factor
    will be available memory. 1Gb should do you for 3-4 but more is better
    when running multiple VMs. The processor is a "what ever". If you want to
    buy an old cheap unit you might find a P3 on eBay. The disk should be
    enough for the VMs and the OS with room to spare but a 40Gb will likely
    do the trick.

    My 2¢

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 27, 2004
  6. AndreL

    spiker_22 Guest

    Think you guys are missing the point AndreL is trying-
    though poorly trying to make. Note he is saying he wants a
    VM machine. so he wants to run something like VMWare so he
    can run multiple windows sessions on the server he is
    building. Hence the wild specs

    <> wrote in

    spiker_22, May 31, 2004
  7. AndreL

    Guest Guest

    Woops sorry Neal!

    Guest, May 31, 2004
  8. AndreL

    Neil Guest

    "spiker_22" <> wrote in

    > Think you guys are missing the point AndreL is trying-
    > though poorly trying to make. Note he is saying he wants a
    > VM machine. so he wants to run something like VMWare so he
    > can run multiple windows sessions on the server he is
    > building. Hence the wild specs

    no this is exactly what I thought he was trying to do. I can run 2 VMs on
    my 512mb laptop (slowly) so 1-2gb should do nicely for a VM system...
    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 31, 2004
  9. AndreL

    Neil Guest

    <> wrote in news:15b6301c446f2$de5b6ca0
    $:

    > Woops sorry Neal!

    who's Neal?

    ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Neil, May 31, 2004
  10. AndreL

    keyser_soze Guest

    I see where you are coming from. My choice was a dual 1800mp athlon, with 1.5 gigs of ram. I can run 8 VM's comfortably, 2 being 2k3, and the rest a combo of xp, 2k, 98, nt, etc. The 2k3 are running:DHCP,DNS,RIS,AD,TS,IIS, etc. All systems combined don't tax more than 8% utilization of the cpu's. It runs nicely, and cost a total of 450 dollars. I think you are on the right track, but perhaps looking at more than you need.

    keyser_soze, Jun 14, 2004
  11. I see where you are coming from. My choice was a dual 1800mp athlon, with 1.5 gigs of ram. I can run 8 VM's comfortably, 2 being 2k3, and the rest a combo of xp, 2k, 98, nt, etc. The 2k3 are running:DHCP,DNS,RIS,AD,TS,IIS, etc. All systems combined don't tax more than 8% utilization of the cpu's. It runs nicely, and cost a total of 450 dollars. I think you are on the right track, but perhaps looking at more than you need.

    williamwbishop, Jun 14, 2004