Building my first computer.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by auralian, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. auralian

    auralian Guest

    Was hoping for a little help in building my first PC. I have installed many
    individual components (Disk Drives, video cards, chip upgrades, CDs) but
    never an entire unit and never a power supply or mobo. Anyone know a good
    web page or book I should look at, or is it all pretty straight forward,
    just intall the components as directed?

    Looking at the following:

    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Chip
    ASUS K8T800 mobo
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128mb video
    Thermaltake XaserIII V1420DU case w/480 power
    Plextor 708A-BPS 8x dvd burner
    Crucial 184 pin 512 mb ECC DDR PC-3200 memory (x2)
    Turtle Beach 6 channel sound card
    Thermalright SLK-947-U Copper heatsink for Intel and AMD

    Guess my main questions are:

    Will the Athlon 64 be a better choice than Athlon Barton chips? (Worth the
    extra money?)
    Do I have any obvious mistakes in my choices (in terms of compatability or
    quality, I will be using existing hard drives and floppies and such)
    I am a little vague on cooling. Will the Thermalright heatsink work with
    this set up and what other cooling conciderations should I be looking into.
    (the case comes with 7 cooling fans)

    This is about a $1350 setup, is there a better bang for the buck out there?

    I will be running mainly things like photoshop with very large photo files
    (up to 350MB) and of course a few games tossed in. Running windows XP Pro
    as well.

    Thanks for any help.
    Matt
    auralian, Jan 11, 2004

  2. auralian

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "auralian" <> wrote in

    > Will the Athlon 64 be a better choice than Athlon Barton chips? (Worth
    > the extra money?)

    For things like Photoshop, the better memory speeds provided by the onboard
    memory controller will be great.

    > Do I have any obvious mistakes in my choices (in terms of
    > compatability or quality, I will be using existing hard drives and
    > floppies and such) I am a little vague on cooling. Will the
    > Thermalright heatsink work with this set up and what other cooling
    > conciderations should I be looking into. (the case comes with 7
    > cooling fans)

    Provided that the Thermalright heatsink is rated for an A64 3400+, it
    should work fine.

    > This is about a $1350 setup, is there a better bang for the buck out
    > there?

    Yes. Don't get the 3400+. Get the 3000+, it is the same clock speed as
    the 3200+ but with only 512k of L2 cache. The price drop is more dramatic
    than the extra performance.

    > I will be running mainly things like photoshop with very large photo
    > files (up to 350MB) and of course a few games tossed in. Running
    > windows XP Pro as well.

    XP Pro is good for now, if you have the ability (unknown how MS is
    distributing Windows 64-bit at this time), when Win64 is released upgrade
    to take advantage of the 64-bit features of the chip, which (provided Adobe
    releases a 64-bit upgrade to photoshop) will greatly enhance the speed of
    your processing.
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 11, 2004

  3. auralian

    Ryan Guest

    Just install the components as directed..it is pretty easy

    Ryan, Jan 15, 2004