    before, so I would appreciate any tips.

    Thanks in advance,

    Cheers - Den.
    Den, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Den

    meerkat Guest

    "Den" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    > go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    > to be able to do this for free, if possible.
    >
    > Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    > before, so I would appreciate any tips.

    Hi Den.
    Go here, and type in....building a website.
    www.google.com
    You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

    bw..
    meerkat, Sep 4, 2007

  3. meerkat wrote:

    > "Den" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    >> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    >> to be able to do this for free, if possible.
    >>
    >> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    >> before, so I would appreciate any tips.
    >>

    > Hi Den.
    > Go here, and type in....building a website.
    > www.google.com
    > You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

    The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
    it to look professional, hire a professional."

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 4, 2007
  4. Den

    meerkat Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > meerkat wrote:
    >>
    >> "Den" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    >>> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    >>> to be able to do this for free, if possible.
    >>>
    >>> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    >>> before, so I would appreciate any tips.
    >>>

    >> Hi Den.
    >> Go here, and type in....building a website.
    >> www.google.com
    >> You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

    > The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
    > it to look professional, hire a professional."

    Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.
    They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

    bw..
    meerkat, Sep 4, 2007
  5. meerkat wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> meerkat wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Den" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi Den.
    >>> Go here, and type in....building a website.
    >>> www.google.com
    >>> You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

    >> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
    >> it to look professional, hire a professional."
    >>

    > Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.

    He wants a "professional" site now. Not after he's spent a couple years
    learning.

    > They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

    No, I'm sure he could find scores of thousands with a Google search on
    "web designer" or some such.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 4, 2007
  6. meerkat wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> meerkat wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Den" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi Den.
    >>> Go here, and type in....building a website.
    >>> www.google.com
    >>> You`ll get lots of hits, and advice.

    >> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
    >> it to look professional, hire a professional."
    >>

    > Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.
    > They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

    Second Response:

    Note that he's also a Google Groper, so

    1. That doesn't speak well for his chances of learning anything.

    2. Why am I trying to help him? I fucked up. I'm outta here.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 4, 2007
  7. Den

    > meerkat wrote:
    >>
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
    >>> it to look professional, hire a professional."
    >>>

    >> Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.
    >> They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

    > Second Response:
    >

    > Note that he's also a Google Groper, so
    >
    > 1. That doesn't speak well for his chances of learning anything.
    >
    > 2. Why am I trying to help him? I fucked up. I'm outta here.

    You`re worth a couple of smiles a day from me. Thank you.

    bw..
    meerkat, Sep 4, 2007
  8. Den wrote:

    > Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    > go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would
    > like to be able to do this for free, if possible.

    You could start here:
    http://htmldog.com/

    > Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    > before, so I would appreciate any tips.

    A 'professional' web site is not kid stuff. I've seen sites designed by
    people in the business for years that I wouldn't consider
    'professional.'

    If you just want to play around and make a personal site, try using
    http://kompozer.net/
    but do not bypass the step of writing code by hand. Otherwise, you will
    not know how to fix mistakes that the 'generators' invariably make.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 4, 2007
  9. Den

    Den Guest

    On 4 Sep, 18:45, Den <> wrote:
    > Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    > go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    > to be able to do this for free, if possible.
    >
    > Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    > before, so I would appreciate any tips.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Cheers - Den.

    Thanks for the genuine replies. As for the smartarsed one - why bother
    mate? 'Google Groper'??? Is that a name for someone who actually does
    something else apart from constantly fart around with computers? If
    so, I'm guilty as charged.
    Den, Sep 4, 2007
  10. Den

    Den Guest

    On 4 Sep, 19:24, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > meerkat wrote:
    >
    > > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    > >> The best of which is probably, "since you know nothing about it and want
    > >> it to look professional, hire a professional."

    > > Yeabut, where do professionals come from B ?.
    > > They don`t grow on trees yaknow <g>.

    > Second Response:
    >
    > Note that he's also a Google Groper, so
    >
    > 1. That doesn't speak well for his chances of learning anything.
    >
    > 2. Why am I trying to help him? I fucked up. I'm outta here.
    >
    > --
    > Blinky RLU 297263
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28- Hide quoted text -

    I posted a reply to this, and clicked 'reply to author' by mistake.
    For that I apologise, if you get an e-mail. Not that you would be
    arsed, I suppose. You appear to be the type that enjoys 'lording it'
    over people who don't know as much as you about computers, so well
    done.
    Den, Sep 4, 2007
  11. Den

    John Holmes Guest

    Den "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On 4 Sep, 18:45, Den <> wrote:
    >> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    >> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    >> to be able to do this for free, if possible.
    >>
    >> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    >> before, so I would appreciate any tips.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Cheers - Den.

    > Thanks for the genuine replies. As for the smartarsed one - why bother
    > mate? 'Google Groper'??? Is that a name for someone who actually does
    > something else apart from constantly fart around with computers? If
    > so, I'm guilty as charged.

    Blinky is one of the regulars in this froup, so don't call him a
    smartassed one. You insult the other reg's as well by doing so.

    --
    Your mother was a plastered ninny who used to pick her nose in the
    gutter.
    John Holmes, Sep 4, 2007
  12. Den

    Den Guest

    On 4 Sep, 21:07, John Holmes <> wrote:
    > Den "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    > > On 4 Sep, 18:45, Den <> wrote:
    > >> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    > >> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    > >> to be able to do this for free, if possible.

    > >> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    > >> before, so I would appreciate any tips.

    > >> Thanks in advance,

    > >> Cheers - Den.

    > > Thanks for the genuine replies. As for the smartarsed one - why bother
    > > mate? 'Google Groper'??? Is that a name for someone who actually does
    > > something else apart from constantly fart around with computers? If
    > > so, I'm guilty as charged.

    > Blinky is one of the regulars in this froup, so don't call him a
    > smartassed one. You insult the other reg's as well by doing so.
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a plastered ninny who used to pick her nose in the
    > gutter.- Hide quoted text -

    Hang on, I'm insulting all the other regulars, because I called one
    bloke a smartarse? No I'm not!
    I called one person a smartarse, because in my opinion, he was being
    one. I didn't say anything about anyone else, and if you read my
    original enquiry, you will see it was very polite!

    If you don't mind me saying so mate, you sound like you are kissing
    'blinky's' arse a bit there, and it's not very becoming. Also, the
    fact that you call yourself 'John Holmes', and defend your mate so
    vigorously, paints a rather disturbing picture.

    Is this one of those very 'cliquey' online community's?

    Can I join? Please?
    Den, Sep 4, 2007
  13. Den

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:46:17 -0700, Den wrote:

    >On 4 Sep, 18:45, Den <> wrote:
    >> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    >> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    >> to be able to do this for free, if possible.
    >>
    >> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    >> before, so I would appreciate any tips.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Cheers - Den.

    >Thanks for the genuine replies. As for the smartarsed one - why bother
    >mate? 'Google Groper'??? Is that a name for someone who actually does
    >something else apart from constantly fart around with computers? If
    >so, I'm guilty as charged.

    Fine, you just made your own point. Typical Google Groper.

    Me
    why?, Sep 4, 2007
  14. Den

    Den Guest

    On 4 Sep, 21:39, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:46:17 -0700, Den wrote:
    > >On 4 Sep, 18:45, Den <> wrote:
    > >> Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    > >> go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    > >> to be able to do this for free, if possible.

    > >> Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    > >> before, so I would appreciate any tips.

    > >> Thanks in advance,

    > >> Cheers - Den.

    > >Thanks for the genuine replies. As for the smartarsed one - why bother
    > >mate? 'Google Groper'??? Is that a name for someone who actually does
    > >something else apart from constantly fart around with computers? If
    > >so, I'm guilty as charged.

    > Fine, you just made your own point. Typical Google Groper.
    >
    > Me- Hide quoted text -

    Is there something wrong with being a 'Google Groper' then?
    Admittedly, I am no expert on computers, which is why I posted in this
    group. The group is called 24hourssupport.helpdesk, which I assumed
    would be somewhere to visit in order to get help, rather than be
    criticised for my lack of knowledge!

    Why take pot-shots at less experienced people in this environment?
    Even if you are an expert with computers, it makes you look like a
    knob.
    Den, Sep 4, 2007
  15. Den

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:45:37 -0700, Den wrote:

    >Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    >go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    >to be able to do this for free, if possible.

    Hire a profrssional something -

    If you want a professional look, you hire a designer.

    If you wan't a professional website ( shopping cart, forms, database
    etc.) you hire a different type of professional.

    You then get them to talk to each other.

    >Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    >before, so I would appreciate any tips.

    If it's just looks, forget it. Make it usable, easy to view, work on
    several browsers don't use colors like pre schoolers use paint only in
    red blue and green on the thickest brush.

    >Thanks in advance,

    Do use www.google.com and look for tutorials, as wall as

    I and others have posted links to HTML sites, guides and in my case
    stuff like the yale style guide. It's about design.

    http://www.webstyleguide.com/index.html?/contents.html

    The HTML / code bit matters but not if it ends up like this recent site
    mentioned in the last few weeks.

    snipped from another post,

    >> Title: Website design , Application Development ,Video and Flash
    >> Multimedia

    >You need to spruce up your web design skills before you go public...
    >
    >> For more enquiries visit us as
    >> www.clintonspamandbrown.com

    Run that through a validator and it has errors and a nasty and very
    preventable and well known fault and they design websites.

    Which also mentioned this site,

    >>Similar post in my ISP internal NG last week,
    >> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sophie.cussen/earth_designs_Index.htm
    >>EARTH DESIGNS
    >>

    >>----> this next bit is funny
    >>Using today's industry standards of WC3 you can be sure you're getting the right message across to your customers, your friend - even your family!

    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...k=gst&q=EARTH DESIGNS&rnum=1#1a20d7a8ff7221bf
    or the shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/24353t

    >Cheers - Den.

    Me
    why?, Sep 4, 2007
  16. Den wrote:

    > Is this one of those very 'cliquey' online community's?
    >
    > Can I join? Please?

    Yes and no. As long as you are using Google Groups to post to Usenet
    you'll find a very tough time defending your use of such a lame
    interface to Usenet, and to make matters worse, many people have already
    filtered Google Group posts because 98% of the spam originates from
    there, so they won't see your posts anyway. I think John may have
    overreacted, I believe I'm a reg and I didn't feel insulted.

    You're doing okay, but you should really consider getting a real
    newsreader and leave GG behind.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 4, 2007
  17. Den

    Den Guest

    On 4 Sep, 21:56, R?g?r <> wrote:
    > Den wrote:
    > > Is this one of those very 'cliquey' online community's?

    > > Can I join? Please?

    > Yes and no. As long as you are using Google Groups to post to Usenet
    > you'll find a very tough time defending your use of such a lame
    > interface to Usenet, and to make matters worse, many people have already
    > filtered Google Group posts because 98% of the spam originates from
    > there, so they won't see your posts anyway. I think John may have
    > overreacted, I believe I'm a reg and I didn't feel insulted.
    >
    > You're doing okay, but you should really consider getting a real
    > newsreader and leave GG behind.

    Thanks Roger. Is there a particular newsreader that you could
    recommend? I should add that it would need to be free, and VERY easy
    to get the hang of. As you can probably tell, I don't have much
    experience using newsgroups really, but I would be keen to learn more
    about them.

    Cheers - Den.
    Den, Sep 4, 2007
  18. Den wrote:
    > On 4 Sep, 21:56, R?g?r <> wrote:
    >> Den wrote:
    >>> Is this one of those very 'cliquey' online community's?
    >>> Can I join? Please?

    >> Yes and no. As long as you are using Google Groups to post to Usenet
    >> you'll find a very tough time defending your use of such a lame
    >> interface to Usenet, and to make matters worse, many people have already
    >> filtered Google Group posts because 98% of the spam originates from
    >> there, so they won't see your posts anyway. I think John may have
    >> overreacted, I believe I'm a reg and I didn't feel insulted.
    >>
    >> You're doing okay, but you should really consider getting a real
    >> newsreader and leave GG behind.

    > Thanks Roger. Is there a particular newsreader that you could
    > recommend? I should add that it would need to be free, and VERY easy
    > to get the hang of. As you can probably tell, I don't have much
    > experience using newsgroups really, but I would be keen to learn more
    > about them.

    I use Thunderbird for text groups, like this one. I use XNews for binary
    groups, both are free and pretty easy to set up. Be aware that if you
    want to use some advanced filtering with TB, it's not really the right
    choice, but I get along with it.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 4, 2007
  19. Den

    Den Guest

    On 4 Sep, 21:55, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:45:37 -0700, Den wrote:
    > >Hi all...apologies if what I am asking is really easy, but how would I
    > >go about making a professional looking website? Obviously I would like
    > >to be able to do this for free, if possible.

    > Hire a profrssional something -
    >
    > If you want a professional look, you hire a designer.
    >
    > If you wan't a professional website ( shopping cart, forms, database
    > etc.) you hire a different type of professional.
    >
    > You then get them to talk to each other.
    >
    > >Once again, apologies if this is kids stuff, but I've never done it
    > >before, so I would appreciate any tips.

    > If it's just looks, forget it. Make it usable, easy to view, work on
    > several browsers don't use colors like pre schoolers use paint only in
    > red blue and green on the thickest brush.
    >
    > >Thanks in advance,

    > Do usewww.google.comand look for tutorials, as wall ashttp://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    >
    > I and others have posted links to HTML sites, guides and in my case
    > stuff like the yale style guide. It's about design.
    >
    > http://www.webstyleguide.com/index.html?/contents.html
    >
    > The HTML / code bit matters but not if it ends up like this recent site
    > mentioned in the last few weeks.
    >
    > snipped from another post,
    >
    > >> Title: Website design , Application Development ,Video and Flash
    > >> Multimedia

    > >You need to spruce up your web design skills before you go public...

    > >> For more enquiries visit us as
    > >>www.clintonspamandbrown.com

    > Run that through a validator and it has errors and a nasty and very
    > preventable and well known fault and they design websites.
    >
    > Which also mentioned this site,
    >
    > >>Similar post in my ISP internal NG last week,
    > >>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sophie.cussen/earth_designs_Index.htm
    > >>EARTH DESIGNS

    > >>----> this next bit is funny
    > >>Using today's industry standards of WC3 you can be sure you're getting the right message across to your customers, your friend - even your family!

    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/browse_thread/t...
    > or the shorterhttp://preview.tinyurl.com/24353t
    >
    > >Cheers - Den.

    > Me

    Lots of info there - thanks a lot, its much appreciated.

    Cheers mate - Den.
    Den, Sep 4, 2007
  20. Den

    Den Guest

    On 4 Sep, 22:04, R?g?r <> wrote:
    > Den wrote:
    > >> Yes and no. As long as you are using Google Groups to post to Usenet
    > >> you'll find a very tough time defending your use of such a lame
    > >> interface to Usenet, and to make matters worse, many people have already
    > >> filtered Google Group posts because 98% of the spam originates from
    > >> there, so they won't see your posts anyway. I think John may have
    > >> overreacted, I believe I'm a reg and I didn't feel insulted.

    > >> You're doing okay, but you should really consider getting a real
    > >> newsreader and leave GG behind.

    > > Thanks Roger. Is there a particular newsreader that you could
    > > recommend? I should add that it would need to be free, and VERY easy
    > > to get the hang of. As you can probably tell, I don't have much
    > > experience using newsgroups really, but I would be keen to learn more
    > > about them.

    > I use Thunderbird for text groups, like this one. I use XNews for binary
    > groups, both are free and pretty easy to set up. Be aware that if you
    > want to use some advanced filtering with TB, it's not really the right
    > choice, but I get along with it.- Hide quoted text -

    Cheers Roger - I'll give it a go!

    Thanks mate.
    Den, Sep 4, 2007