Building a website for my pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tim, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi

    I'm going to have a go at putting some of my pictures online and would like
    your advice

    I've been Googling around for info but there is so much out there it's hard
    to find good info and I'm hoping you can help me sort out the wheat from the
    chaff

    I'm a total noob at HTML so some sites on page construction and uploading
    would be good, I have Frontpage but if anyone knows of a better freeware
    programme I'd be interested in having a look at it

    BTW I have a 30Mb limit so not much room for anything fancy as I'd like to
    keep the pictures fairly large, say 800 - 900 pixels wide

    I've read that saving jpegs at 80% compression gives a good file size
    without too much loss in quality, anyone have views on this?

    Links to good photo sites for some "inspiration" would be useful, I would
    like to aim for a very plain/clean layout but I'm sure there's still good
    and bad ways of achieving that.

    Page colour, is there a general consensus on the background colour, I thing
    the images would generally be B&W but possibly some colour pictures as well

    Colours like this seem to be quite common http://kadlecimages.com/portfolio/

    I quite like this type of thing http://www.andrewandkathryn.co.uk/

    But then I really like this as well http://www.ortaluce.nl/index.htm

    Heeeeelp :-(

    Any help would be much appreciated, as I said I'm a complete novice and
    slightly daunted by the learning curve

    TIA

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 28, 2005

  2. Tim

    mirhe Guest

    mirhe, Nov 28, 2005

  3. Tim

    N.R. Guest

    why don't you just use flickr.com or something like that ? it's free
    and has no limit
    N.R., Nov 28, 2005
  4. Tim

    c Guest

    Like one of the other posters suggested, you may want to look at
    www.flickr.com. It is free and you can set it up to login with your Yahoo
    account ID if you have one, or set up a new flickr account. If you would
    rather develop your own web pages, check out http://nvu.com. It has quite a
    few similarities to Dreamweaver, which I feel is the best html software
    available. I believe you can still get a trial version of DW, but I'm not
    sure. I played around with Nvu in Linux, and it's a good program considering
    it is free.

    Chris

    c, Nov 28, 2005
  5. Tim

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <%3Dif.17079$>, Tim
    <no@spam.?.com.invalid> writes
    >Hi
    >
    >I'm going to have a go at putting some of my pictures online and would like
    >your advice

    For building web albums I use Web Album generator:

    http://www.ornj.net/software/webalbum/

    The price is right.

    I don't claim that my website is at the cutting edge of web design, but
    some of the pages I've put together using it and MS Frontpage are at:

    http://www.ndpugh.plus.com/

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh
    Neil Pugh, Nov 28, 2005
  6. Tim

    Tim Guest

    > Like one of the other posters suggested, you may want to look at
    > www.flickr.com. It is free and you can set it up to login with your
    > Yahoo account ID if you have one, or set up a new flickr account. If
    > you would rather develop your own web pages, check out
    > http://nvu.com. It has quite a few similarities to Dreamweaver, which
    > I feel is the best html software available. I believe you can still
    > get a trial version of DW, but I'm not sure. I played around with Nvu
    > in Linux, and it's a good program considering it is free.
    >
    > Chris

    Thanks for the replies

    I've considered flickr but I don't really like the look of it too much

    That's not to say I won't end up using it though :)

    I just think it's about time I did something about getting my own site up,
    I've had the space available to me for about the last 5 years and it just
    seems a bit lame not using it

    Thanks Chris for the Nvu link I'll give it a look

    Cheers

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 28, 2005
  7. Tim

    Fred Guest

    For constructingthe photo album, Web Album Generator is free and works
    well. You can find it here:

    http://www.ornj.net/

    They also have other tools that I can't speak for since I haven't tried
    them yet.

    Fred, Nov 28, 2005
  8. Tim

    Tesco News Guest

    "Tim" <no > wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm going to have a go at putting some of my pictures online and would
    > like your advice
    >
    > I've been Googling around for info but there is so much out there it's
    > hard to find good info and I'm hoping you can help me sort out the wheat
    > from the chaff
    >
    > I'm a total noob at HTML so some sites on page construction and uploading
    > would be good, I have Frontpage but if anyone knows of a better freeware
    > programme I'd be interested in having a look at it
    >
    > BTW I have a 30Mb limit so not much room for anything fancy as I'd like to
    > keep the pictures fairly large, say 800 - 900 pixels wide
    >
    > I've read that saving jpegs at 80% compression gives a good file size
    > without too much loss in quality, anyone have views on this?
    >
    > Links to good photo sites for some "inspiration" would be useful, I would
    > like to aim for a very plain/clean layout but I'm sure there's still good
    > and bad ways of achieving that.
    >
    > Page colour, is there a general consensus on the background colour, I
    > thing the images would generally be B&W but possibly some colour pictures
    > as well
    >
    > Colours like this seem to be quite common
    > http://kadlecimages.com/portfolio/
    >
    > I quite like this type of thing http://www.andrewandkathryn.co.uk/
    >
    > But then I really like this as well http://www.ortaluce.nl/index.htm
    >
    > Heeeeelp :-(
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated, as I said I'm a complete novice and
    > slightly daunted by the learning curve
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tim

    Hi.

    Front Page is probably not the best Editor around, but it seems to be about
    the easiest to use, and can certainly do a very reasonable job. You don't
    need to know anything about html. You can make webs and just keep them on
    your hard drive, so only your computer can see your mistakes.

    Have a go at using one of its 1 page Templates to start with, until you get
    the feel for it. You can then move on to practise making multi page Webs.
    Once you are able to do this and it all seems to be working when using your
    browser, (still on your machine only), then you can think about publishing
    to the internet.

    30 Meg is plenty, have a look at www.ayrphoto.co.uk , it is only just
    over 10 Meg, and has a fair number of Photos.

    I would advise that you should stay away from "Frame Pages" until you know a
    bit more about what you are doing.

    Put your bigger pictures on a page each, and link to them from Thumbnails.

    Whatever you do, PLEASE, don't use a Black Background.

    Roy G
    Tesco News, Nov 28, 2005
  9. Tim

    Tim Guest

    > Hi.
    >
    > Front Page is probably not the best Editor around, but it seems to be
    > about the easiest to use, and can certainly do a very reasonable job.
    > You don't need to know anything about html. You can make webs and
    > just keep them on your hard drive, so only your computer can see your
    > mistakes.
    > Have a go at using one of its 1 page Templates to start with, until
    > you get the feel for it. You can then move on to practise making
    > multi page Webs. Once you are able to do this and it all seems to be
    > working when using your browser, (still on your machine only), then
    > you can think about publishing to the internet.
    >
    > 30 Meg is plenty, have a look at www.ayrphoto.co.uk , it is only
    > just over 10 Meg, and has a fair number of Photos.
    >
    > I would advise that you should stay away from "Frame Pages" until you
    > know a bit more about what you are doing.
    >
    > Put your bigger pictures on a page each, and link to them from
    > Thumbnails.
    > Whatever you do, PLEASE, don't use a Black Background.
    >
    > Roy G

    Neil - Thanks for the link, I like the OS map graphic for the title. A
    couple of those pictures made me shiver! Oh and thanks for the pic of your
    arse as well :) looks like you had a lucky escape really

    Fred - Thanks I'll check out the link in a mo

    Roy - Thanks for the info - have just installed the Nvu software that Chris
    mentioned which looks pretty good. Will be going for as plain a look as
    posible I think which should make my life easier. And yes I'll stay away
    from black!!

    Cheers

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 28, 2005
  10. Tim

    Marvin Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm going to have a go at putting some of my pictures online and would like
    > your advice
    >
    > I've been Googling around for info but there is so much out there it's hard
    > to find good info and I'm hoping you can help me sort out the wheat from the
    > chaff
    >
    > I'm a total noob at HTML so some sites on page construction and uploading
    > would be good, I have Frontpage but if anyone knows of a better freeware
    > programme I'd be interested in having a look at it

    Unless you want some fancy effect, you can set up a page with Front Page without writing
    any HTML code; it is what I do. We put our photos on the site mainly as slide shows we
    make in Paint Shop Photo Album. Each time we add or remove a slide show, all that is
    needed on the opening page is to add or remove a link. Easy enough in Front Page.

    > BTW I have a 30Mb limit so not much room for anything fancy as I'd like to
    > keep the pictures fairly large, say 800 - 900 pixels wide
    >
    > I've read that saving jpegs at 80% compression gives a good file size
    > without too much loss in quality, anyone have views on this?
    >
    > Links to good photo sites for some "inspiration" would be useful, I would
    > like to aim for a very plain/clean layout but I'm sure there's still good
    > and bad ways of achieving that.
    >
    > Page colour, is there a general consensus on the background colour, I thing
    > the images would generally be B&W but possibly some colour pictures as well
    >
    > Colours like this seem to be quite common http://kadlecimages.com/portfolio/
    >
    > I quite like this type of thing http://www.andrewandkathryn.co.uk/
    >
    > But then I really like this as well http://www.ortaluce.nl/index.htm
    >
    > Heeeeelp :-(

    You should have a neutral color for the background, for the same reason that museums and
    galleries use neutral colors on the walls. Color perception is affected by the background
    colors.

    Dark or black backgrounds are dramatic, but make it harder for some viewers to see the
    photos. The reason should be easy for a photographer to understand. With a dark
    background, the viewer's eye receives less light, so the pupil dilates (opens wider). As
    in a camera, an eye lens that is opened wider loses some resolution and depth of focus.

    Marvin, Nov 28, 2005
  11. Tim

    Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm going to have a go at putting some of my pictures online and would like
    > your advice
    >
    > I've been Googling around for info but there is so much out there it's hard
    > to find good info and I'm hoping you can help me sort out the wheat from the
    > chaff
    >
    > I'm a total noob at HTML so some sites on page construction and uploading
    > would be good, I have Frontpage but if anyone knows of a better freeware
    > programme I'd be interested in having a look at it
    >
    > BTW I have a 30Mb limit so not much room for anything fancy as I'd like to
    > keep the pictures fairly large, say 800 - 900 pixels wide
    >
    > I've read that saving jpegs at 80% compression gives a good file size
    > without too much loss in quality, anyone have views on this?

    I generally use 80 for a very good image, but not necessarily web
    material, which
    I cut down some more. 80 is about archieval for me.

    > Links to good photo sites for some "inspiration" would be useful, I would
    > like to aim for a very plain/clean layout but I'm sure there's still good
    > and bad ways of achieving that.
    >
    > Page colour, is there a general consensus on the background colour, I thing
    > the images would generally be B&W but possibly some colour pictures as well

    I use whatever color compliments the pictures.
    I use AC-DSee to make simple pages. just thumnails, like...
    http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/web/2/Veg04.htm
    I have at least 3 web sites. Two come with the ISP, and
    I buy a third private 500MB website for about $100 a year.
    They give more space for newbies. I do most html editing in Notepad.

    greg

    > Colours like this seem to be quite common http://kadlecimages.com/portfolio/
    >
    > I quite like this type of thing http://www.andrewandkathryn.co.uk/
    >
    > But then I really like this as well http://www.ortaluce.nl/index.htm
    >
    > Heeeeelp :-(
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated, as I said I'm a complete novice and
    > slightly daunted by the learning curve
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tim
    , Nov 28, 2005
  12. On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:52:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Tim" <no
    > wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm going to have a go at putting some of my pictures online and would like
    >your advice
    >
    >I've been Googling around for info but there is so much out there it's hard
    >to find good info and I'm hoping you can help me sort out the wheat from the
    >chaff
    >
    >I'm a total noob at HTML so some sites on page construction and uploading
    >would be good, I have Frontpage but if anyone knows of a better freeware
    >programme I'd be interested in having a look at it
    >
    >BTW I have a 30Mb limit so not much room for anything fancy as I'd like to
    >keep the pictures fairly large, say 800 - 900 pixels wide

    Have a look at JAlbum, it's free. I use it to build galleries and then
    apply my site template in Dreamweaver.
    http://jalbum.net/
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 28, 2005
  13. Tim

    Guest

    Wondershare Flash SlideShow Builder is an easy-to-use utility for
    creating online Flash albums. You have beyond 200 transiton effects,
    and host your gallery at their server for a FREE 100M webspace. It is
    not freeware, but not expensive. You may download it for trial at
    http://www.flash-slide-show.com

    Regrads
    , Nov 29, 2005
  14. Tim

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Tim <no > wrote:
    >Hi
    >
    >I'm going to have a go at putting some of my pictures online and would like
    >your advice

    Sure. Don't.

    >I've been Googling around for info but there is so much out there it's hard
    >to find good info and I'm hoping you can help me sort out the wheat from the
    >chaff
    >
    >I'm a total noob at HTML so some sites on page construction and uploading
    >would be good, I have Frontpage but if anyone knows of a better freeware
    >programme I'd be interested in having a look at it

    There are many web sites for posting pictures online. Use them.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Nov 29, 2005
  15. Tim

    Riaz Guest

    I know of fotopic.net which gives 250MB of space and loads of features.
    Most of all it doesnt resize your photos like photos.yahoo.com does.
    Can you give me the websites that you feel are better than the one I
    mentioned and which dont resize the photos...

    Riaz

    Riaz, Nov 29, 2005
  16. Tim

    mirhe Guest

    mirhe, Nov 29, 2005
  17. Tim

    Neil Pugh Guest

    In message <XJGif.17204$>, Tim
    <no@spam.?.com.invalid> writes

    >Neil - Thanks for the link, I like the OS map graphic for the title. A
    >couple of those pictures made me shiver! Oh and thanks for the pic of your
    >arse as well :) looks like you had a lucky escape really

    The graphic is from a standard Frontpage theme called 'Topo', so help
    yourself! You'll find it is not uncommon on websites with an outdoor
    content.

    Make the most of the pic of my arse, it may be the only time it ever
    appears on the Internet. There are only two things which make me wake up
    in the night screaming, and the thought of what I could have done to
    myself that day is one of them!

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh
    Neil Pugh, Nov 29, 2005
  18. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 29, 2005
  19. Tim

    mirhe Guest

    mirhe, Nov 29, 2005
  20. Tim

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <miFif.17128$>,
    Tim <no > wrote:
    >> Like one of the other posters suggested, you may want to look at
    >> www.flickr.com. It is free and you can set it up to login with your
    >> Yahoo account ID if you have one, or set up a new flickr account. If
    >> you would rather develop your own web pages, check out
    >> http://nvu.com. It has quite a few similarities to Dreamweaver, which
    >> I feel is the best html software available. I believe you can still
    >> get a trial version of DW, but I'm not sure. I played around with Nvu
    >> in Linux, and it's a good program considering it is free.
    >>
    >> Chris

    >Thanks for the replies
    >
    >I've considered flickr but I don't really like the look of it too much
    >
    >That's not to say I won't end up using it though :)
    >
    >I just think it's about time I did something about getting my own site up,
    >I've had the space available to me for about the last 5 years and it just
    >seems a bit lame not using it

    One of the nicer photo web sites I've seen recently
    was done with Google's free tool;

    http://picasa.google.com/index.html

    Jalbum ( http://jalbum.net/ ) is popular, free, and _very_ easy to get
    started with and I've seen it generate some very nice sites but IMO,
    anything but out of the box look has a learning curve to it.
    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
    Al Dykes, Nov 30, 2005