    Could someone recommend a brand name alternative motherboard which would do
    the job?

    Cheers.
    Trent SC, Mar 27, 2008

  2. Trent SC

    ded Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm thinking of building a new PC and am considering a pair of Quad core
    > Intel processors as the starting point (QX9775), but for the motherboard I
    > don't really want to go along the Skulltrail route, as the reports I've
    > read of FBDIMMs aren't setting the world on fire when compared to DDR2 and
    > DDR3.
    >
    > Could someone recommend a brand name alternative motherboard which would
    > do the job?
    >
    > Cheers.

    How long is a piece of string?
    What add-in cards and on-board compatibility will you be considering -
    North bridge and Southbridge requirements/PCI-Express/IDE, SATA/
    intergrated facilities/Intergrated graphics/intergrated audio/upgradability/
    BIOS flashing for full compatibility with chipset/Cooling (are you a
    gamer?)/
    FormFactor-case size/ATX/Mini or micro ATX/etc etc etc.

    Have you heard of search engines? Try some obvious search terms:
    "how to build a PC"
    "considerations needed when building a PC"
    "motherboard reviews"
    ded, Mar 27, 2008

  3. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >> I'm thinking of building a new PC and am considering a pair of Quad core
    >> Intel processors as the starting point (QX9775), but for the motherboard
    >> I don't really want to go along the Skulltrail route, as the reports I've
    >> read of FBDIMMs aren't setting the world on fire when compared to DDR2
    >> and DDR3.
    >>
    >> Could someone recommend a brand name alternative motherboard which would
    >> do the job?
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > How long is a piece of string?
    > What add-in cards and on-board compatibility will you be considering -
    > North bridge and Southbridge requirements/PCI-Express/IDE, SATA/
    > intergrated facilities/Intergrated graphics/intergrated
    > audio/upgradability/
    > BIOS flashing for full compatibility with chipset/Cooling (are you a
    > gamer?)/
    > FormFactor-case size/ATX/Mini or micro ATX/etc etc etc.

    Good point and thanks for posing some useful questions. OK, it's a
    general-purpose machine, likely to do a mixture of fairly hungry graphics
    applications such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Acrobat, etc, some
    DreamWeaver at the same time and the usual Office applications, plus
    occasional gaming. My plan is simply to aim to get a powerful machine which
    will cover as many of the bases as possible.

    In terms of the motherboard's capabilities, PCI-E, SATA and integrated
    Ethernet is a yes, while graphics and sound will be handled by daughter
    boards. Cooling will be fan-based rather than water, and I don't have
    particularly strong opinions on the subject of cases - it isn't a work of
    art, rather a tool.

    In terms of building it, I'm confident that I have the necessary skills so
    to do (I've done it several times in the past) but I'm a little out of date
    in terms of what's currently seen as sitting at the top of the pile. So,
    does this give more context for recommendations? I'm aware that there are a
    number of options (Google is indeed very useful for that) but I'm after
    recommendations based on experience rather than a list.

    Ta muchly.
    Trent SC, Mar 28, 2008
  4. Trent SC

    ellis_jay Guest

    Trent SC wrote:
    >>> I'm thinking of building a new PC and am considering a pair of Quad
    >>> core Intel processors as the starting point (QX9775), but for the
    >>> motherboard I don't really want to go along the Skulltrail route,
    >>> as the reports I've read of FBDIMMs aren't setting the world on
    >>> fire when compared to DDR2 and DDR3.
    >>>
    >>> Could someone recommend a brand name alternative motherboard which
    >>> would do the job?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> How long is a piece of string?
    >> What add-in cards and on-board compatibility will you be considering
    >> - North bridge and Southbridge requirements/PCI-Express/IDE, SATA/
    >> intergrated facilities/Intergrated graphics/intergrated
    >> audio/upgradability/
    >> BIOS flashing for full compatibility with chipset/Cooling (are you a
    >> gamer?)/
    >> FormFactor-case size/ATX/Mini or micro ATX/etc etc etc.

    > Good point and thanks for posing some useful questions. OK, it's a
    > general-purpose machine, likely to do a mixture of fairly hungry
    > graphics applications such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Acrobat,
    > etc, some DreamWeaver at the same time and the usual Office
    > applications, plus occasional gaming. My plan is simply to aim to
    > get a powerful machine which will cover as many of the bases as
    > possible.
    >
    > In terms of the motherboard's capabilities, PCI-E, SATA and integrated
    > Ethernet is a yes, while graphics and sound will be handled by
    > daughter boards. Cooling will be fan-based rather than water, and I
    > don't have particularly strong opinions on the subject of cases - it
    > isn't a work of art, rather a tool.
    >
    > In terms of building it, I'm confident that I have the necessary
    > skills so to do (I've done it several times in the past) but I'm a
    > little out of date in terms of what's currently seen as sitting at
    > the top of the pile. So, does this give more context for
    > recommendations? I'm aware that there are a number of options
    > (Google is indeed very useful for that) but I'm after recommendations
    > based on experience rather than a list.
    >
    > Ta muchly.

    As I am doing some things, too. I would only say right now, that as far as
    cases go, it seems that those see through cases seem to run a bit hotter and
    that a fan on the top would be a better option. Can't help with the mobo
    advice.

    --
    He that cometh to seek after knowledge, with a mind to scorn, shall be
    sure to find matter for his humour, but no matter for his instruction.

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Mar 29, 2008