building a studio on our house ,suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by picture taker, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. we are going to add an addition onto our home /which i hope to make a
    recreation room and a studio
    ive got the blessing of spliting it and making a studio on one side ,i
    get alot of requests for back drop portraits and have all the equipment
    (two ab 1600, one ab 400 different umbrellas ,soft boxes, back ground
    muslins etc) that i usually only get to use while doing on site prints
    (dance studios etc).

    the measusrements are
    30 foot wide
    25 feet long
    ceiling 9 - 12 feet higher if needed
    i could split the room into 18 ft for the studio 12 feet for the
    recreation room also open to give a few feet back to the rec room say
    16 ft studio width 14 ft rec room,

    with an entrance and small dressing room to the studio - 6 feet gives
    me 19 feet length x 16 foot width
    windows facing north but don't expect much natural light coming in
    ,blocked by huge trees .
    could add ceiling windows ?.

    any suggestions inout much appreciated
    picture taker, Sep 18, 2006

  2. picture taker wrote:
    > we are going to add an addition onto our home /which i hope to make a
    > recreation room and a studio
    > ive got the blessing of spliting it and making a studio on one side
    > ,i get alot of requests for back drop portraits and have all the
    > equipment (two ab 1600, one ab 400 different umbrellas ,soft boxes,
    > back ground muslins etc) that i usually only get to use while doing
    > on site prints (dance studios etc).
    >
    > the measusrements are
    > 30 foot wide
    > 25 feet long
    > ceiling 9 - 12 feet higher if needed
    > i could split the room into 18 ft for the studio 12 feet for the
    > recreation room also open to give a few feet back to the rec room
    > say 16 ft studio width 14 ft rec room,
    >
    > with an entrance and small dressing room to the studio - 6 feet gives
    > me 19 feet length x 16 foot width
    > windows facing north but don't expect much natural light coming in
    > ,blocked by huge trees .
    > could add ceiling windows ?.
    >
    > any suggestions inout much appreciated

    Check what effect this will have on your taxes. Running a business from home
    can be very expensive in some countries.
    Dennis Pogson, Sep 18, 2006

  3. On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:43:14 -0700, picture taker wrote:

    > we are going to add an addition onto our home /which i hope to make a
    > recreation room and a studio
    > ive got the blessing of spliting it and making a studio on one side ,i
    > get alot of requests for back drop portraits and have all the equipment
    > (two ab 1600, one ab 400 different umbrellas ,soft boxes, back ground
    > muslins etc) that i usually only get to use while doing on site prints
    > (dance studios etc).
    >
    > the measusrements are
    > 30 foot wide
    > 25 feet long
    > ceiling 9 - 12 feet higher if needed
    > i could split the room into 18 ft for the studio 12 feet for the
    > recreation room also open to give a few feet back to the rec room say
    > 16 ft studio width 14 ft rec room,
    >
    > with an entrance and small dressing room to the studio - 6 feet gives
    > me 19 feet length x 16 foot width
    > windows facing north but don't expect much natural light coming in
    > ,blocked by huge trees .
    > could add ceiling windows ?.
    >
    > any suggestions inout much appreciated

    The one definite suggestion I can give, regardless of the floor dimension
    you decide on is to go with a 12 foot ceiling minimum. This will give you
    plenty of room for umbrellas and light boxes, because when you photograph
    someone standing, you'll want the axis of your main light a few feet
    higher than your subject to get good modeling on the face. Also, if
    you're going to shoot dancers, you can count on some that want "leaping"
    action shots. 12 foot ceilings will give them (and you) plenty of room.

    As far as the long dimension of the studio, 25 feet should be the
    minimum. 30 would be better. Even though you're only talking about
    "small" portraits, plan for large groups of 12 to 15 or more. You'll want
    the group, at least 8 feet from you backdrop, so their shadows won't be
    cast on it, and the group itself would be 4 to 5 feet deep and 8 to 10
    wide, and shooting with a "normal" lens you would need to be 15 feet
    farther back. That makes 8 + 4 + 8 = 20+ feet from the back wall. So, 25
    feet. Design the studio to put the dressing room so that it doesn't
    interfere with that minimum.

    As to width: At the shooting area, no less than 16 feet. The widest
    paper seamless made is 12 feet; however, most is 9. 16 gives you plenty
    of room for the seamless and lighting, even counters and storage on one
    side.

    Another thing you might consider is not to divide the two spaces with a
    permanent wall, but use sliding panels, so the whole 25 by 30 foot space
    could be opened up and used as a studio, if necessary. This way, you
    could put the dedicated shooting and photo area at one end of the 30 foot
    length, but make it 12 or so wide, which is still usable for all but the
    larger group shots. When you need more width, open the sliding panels.
    Besides 18 x 25 is a better size rec room. Try to make the room as
    versatile as possible.

    Another suggestion: There used to be a book (several I think) that showed
    how each photographer designed his studio from the smallest portrait ones
    to ones big enough to photograph automobiles, and how they adapted limited
    space to fulfill their individual needs. Before you do anything, find
    that book or one like it, and any others about building a photo studio,
    and commit them to memory. Better to make the mistakes in the design
    phase than to realize you didn't allow enough room for something only
    after you're three quarters done building the damned thing.

    Stef
    Stefan Patric, Sep 19, 2006
  4. stef, thank you for the well thought out answer :)

    the sliding panels suggestion is something ill definetly look into
    ,seems like a no brainer now that you suggested it .

    im looking for a book now .

    thank you very much

    photographyguy

    picture taker, Sep 19, 2006