    power cables, ide etc?

    cheers
    Brendon
    Brendon, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Brendon

    Tim Guest

    "Brendon" <> wrote in
    news:uTIWf.9565$:

    > Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
    > company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to
    > hook them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like
    > Sata cables, power cables, ide etc?

    It usually depends on the version of the product you buy - OEM products
    generally no, Retail Boxed, sometimes.

    --
    Tim
    Tim, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Brendon

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:11:08 +1200, Brendon wrote:

    > Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
    > company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
    > them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
    > power cables, ide etc?
    >
    > cheers
    > Brendon

    The cables usually come with the motherboard, not the peripherals...
    although I've seen a dearth of SATA cables lately. You're almost
    guaranteed to get an 80 pin ide and a floppy cable ( who uses those! )
    with most mobo's.

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Brendon

    thingy Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
    > company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
    > them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
    > power cables, ide etc?
    >
    > cheers
    > Brendon

    Depends, mostly there should be spare power cables on the PSU, if not
    you will need a $5 Y splitter, but unlikely. Data cables will be
    different, often you will not have a ide or sata cable with a
    cdrom/hdrive unless it is a retail kit, then you might even get screws....

    So a dtrip to DSE for a pack of screws and a data cable is probable, Y
    cable is available at DSE as well.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 30, 2006
  5. Brendon

    Brendon Guest

    thanks guys. might be cheaper just to get the shop to build it then. save
    the hassle, and hidden expenses like these cables, and the $20 tube of
    grease for the processer etc.

    thx.
    Brendon

    Brendon, Mar 30, 2006
  6. Brendon

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:11:08 +1200, "Brendon" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
    >company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
    >them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
    >power cables, ide etc?

    Depends if they're boxed or OEM packaged.

    If the latter, generally not.

    One other thing is that many boxed products to NOT include the screws,
    so if you don't have any, it might pay to ask them to throw a handful
    in (if they try to charge for them (cough, cough, supercheap, cough),
    go elsewhere).
    Fred Dagg, Mar 30, 2006
  7. Brendon

    Andrew Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
    > company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
    > them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
    > power cables, ide etc?
    >
    > cheers
    > Brendon

    Motherboards come with all the cables
    hard drives come with none
    optical drives.. depending on the brand, Asus and microstar supply a
    cable, others dont like liteon...
    when sata first came out all seagate hard drives came with a sata power
    cable. now i think its just the motherboard with them

    DSE is very expensive for these cables... $15 for an ide cable when they
    are bought wholesale for under 50 cents
    Andrew, Mar 30, 2006
  8. Brendon

    MarkH Guest

    "Brendon" <> wrote in

    > Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
    > company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to
    > hook them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like
    > Sata cables, power cables, ide etc?

    This week I built a $3K PC (no monitor/mouse/kbd/optical drive) and I
    have built plenty of others previously.

    All the cheaper places sell the OEM HDDs - you get an antistatic bag
    which contains a HDD + little bag of silica gel. No screws, no cable.
    This is by far the most common way HDDs are sold.

    Most DVD-Writers that are well priced are also the OEM models. But some
    come with an IDE cable and some don't. Some come with a little ziplock
    bag containing 4 screws, some don't. Some come with a CD containing
    burning software, some don't.

    If you want to know what comes with the product you are buying then the
    easiest way to find out is to ask the people you are buying it from.

    The PC I built this week consisted of:
    Coolermaster Centurion 5 case (came with power cable, screws and stuff)
    ASUS A8N SLI Motherboard (Came with Driver CD, Manual, ASUS sticker, IDE
    cables, FDD cable, 4 x SATA cables, metal backplate - no screws, no SATA
    power cables)
    AMD Athlon 64 Dual core 4400 CPU (Came with fan and heatsink ready to go
    with thermal paste already there)
    7900GT Video card (Came with driver CD, video out cables and DVI to
    standard adapters)
    2 x 1GB RAM modules (Came in antistatic bag - nothing else with them)
    2 x 300GB SATA2 HDDs - Seagate 16MB cache (Drives in antistatic bags -
    no screws)
    AC Bel 550W PSU that had 4 x sata power connectors (came with power
    cable)

    Pretty much all the cables and screws I needed came with the case and
    motherboard.

    If you are buying a SATA HDD then you should check if there is a spare
    SATA power connector in your PC, if not then you will need an adapter.
    If you don't have a SATA cable then you should check to see if your
    motherboard actually has SATA connections (every motherboard that I have
    bought with SATA connections has come with SATA cables).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Mar 30, 2006
  9. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:11:08 +1200, Brendon wrote:

    > Silly question - when ordering, say - a new HDD or DVD Writer from a
    > company - do the boxes they come in include the cables necessary to hook
    > them up straight away or do you have to buy them seperate like Sata cables,
    > power cables, ide etc?
    >
    > cheers
    > Brendon

    MoBos come with SATA and IDE cables. Power cables are inseperable from the
    power supply. But if you need more than the ones supplied then you can
    purchase more.

    The case should come with the wires to connect the switches and LEDs and
    the speaker to the MoBo.

    The CD/DVD drive should include the cable to connect the audio output to
    the MoBo.

    If in doubt, ask the sales droid in the shop to confirm what cabling is
    included.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 30, 2006
  10. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:44:51 +1200, Brendon wrote:

    > thanks guys. might be cheaper just to get the shop to build it then. save
    > the hassle, and hidden expenses like these cables, and the $20 tube of
    > grease for the processer etc.

    The CPU should come with heatsink and heatsink fan AND heatsink compound.

    All the ones I've purchased had all those.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 30, 2006
  11. Brendon

    Brendon Guest

    Thanks all. Will make a phone call to confirm.
    Regards
    Brendon
    Brendon, Mar 30, 2006
  12. Brendon

    A Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:25:38 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    wrote:

    >The CD/DVD drive should include the cable to connect the audio output to
    >the MoBo.

    Is that still required these days?
    A, Mar 31, 2006
  13. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    A wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:25:38 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The CD/DVD drive should include the cable to connect the audio
    >> output to the MoBo.

    > Is that still required these days?

    Depends on your OS/audio CD playing software.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 31, 2006
  14. Brendon

    RJ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:25:38 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The CD/DVD drive should include the cable to connect the audio output to
    > >the MoBo.

    > Is that still required these days?

    Course not
    Even in PCs that have one I never bother to connect it
    RJ, Mar 31, 2006
  15. Brendon

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:44:51 +1200, Brendon wrote:
    >
    > > thanks guys. might be cheaper just to get the shop to build it then. save
    > > the hassle, and hidden expenses like these cables, and the $20 tube of
    > > grease for the processer etc.

    > The CPU should come with heatsink and heatsink fan AND heatsink compound.
    >
    > All the ones I've purchased had all those.

    so ytou purchased a box product from the Cpu manufacture
    But in fact many Cpus do not come this way at all
    For example some cases have a case fan and special heatsink itstead of
    the onboard fan eg HP Compaq Dell etc often use this menthod of cooling
    RJ, Apr 1, 2006