Building a non gamimg pc

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by LetItBeMe2, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. LetItBeMe2

    LetItBeMe2 Guest

    Hello

    I am not into gaming but would like to try building my own pc with the
    ability of upgrading in the next year or 3.

    I do like to download from the usenet and will need to be able to unrar
    etc, play movies with diferent codecs and make very small movies with my
    digital camera. Hmm! also watch tv with the card I already have in my old
    system and of course use office 2000 or later..

    I have a problem with trying to sort out the cpu's AMD P3000 +, P3200 + etc
    and the equivalent Pentium 4 2.8 ghzs etc. Or are there better solutions
    now??

    Are there any sites that you can recommend that will give me some reviews
    and testing information on non gaming solutions?

    Thanks a lot

    John

    LetItBeMe2, Jul 15, 2005

  2. LetItBeMe2

    S Roby Guest

    >I am not into gaming but would like to try building my own pc with the
    >ability of upgrading in the next year or 3.

    Forget about upgrading after 3 years. It will be pretty much old technology by
    then.
    If your not into gaming/cad, then you really dont need a high spec PC
    Remember, no matter what speed the CPU is, it will allways be limited by the
    speeeeed of your RAM/Memory(find out the real world bandwidth of the Hard
    Drive).
    Spend a bit more on a good motherboard. If you get a flakey m/b, you will
    NEVER have a good PC.

    S Roby, Jul 15, 2005

  3. LetItBeMe2

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:39:23 +0000, LetItBeMe2 wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I am not into gaming but would like to try building my own pc with the
    > ability of upgrading in the next year or 3.
    >
    > I do like to download from the usenet and will need to be able to unrar
    > etc, play movies with diferent codecs and make very small movies with my
    > digital camera. Hmm! also watch tv with the card I already have in my old
    > system and of course use office 2000 or later..
    >
    > I have a problem with trying to sort out the cpu's AMD P3000 +, P3200 +
    > etc and the equivalent Pentium 4 2.8 ghzs etc. Or are there better
    > solutions now??
    >
    > Are there any sites that you can recommend that will give me some reviews
    > and testing information on non gaming solutions?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > John

    http://www.tomshardware.com/
    http://www.pcworld.com/

    that should keep you busy for a week or so :)

    Shane, Jul 15, 2005
  4. LetItBeMe2

    LetItBeMe2 Guest

    LetItBeMe2, Jul 15, 2005
  5. LetItBeMe2

    LetItBeMe2 Guest

    le (S Roby) wrote in

    >>I am not into gaming but would like to try building my own pc with the
    >>ability of upgrading in the next year or 3.
    >>

    > Forget about upgrading after 3 years. It will be pretty much old
    > technology by then.
    > If your not into gaming/cad, then you really dont need a high spec PC
    > Remember, no matter what speed the CPU is, it will allways be limited
    > by the speeeeed of your RAM/Memory(find out the real world bandwidth
    > of the Hard Drive).
    > Spend a bit more on a good motherboard. If you get a flakey m/b, you
    > will NEVER have a good PC.

    Thanks - If I have got right I should chosse a good motherboard first
    and a good cpu 2nd??
    John

    LetItBeMe2, Jul 15, 2005
  6. LetItBeMe2

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:47:19 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >>I am not into gaming but would like to try building my own pc with the
    >>ability of upgrading in the next year or 3.
    >>

    >Forget about upgrading after 3 years. It will be pretty much old technology by
    >then.
    >If your not into gaming/cad, then you really dont need a high spec PC
    >Remember, no matter what speed the CPU is, it will allways be limited by the
    >speeeeed of your RAM/Memory(find out the real world bandwidth of the Hard
    >Drive).
    >Spend a bit more on a good motherboard. If you get a flakey m/b, you will
    >NEVER have a good PC.

    Video editing could do with fast ram, HD, and CPU though.
    The only thing that won't be required is a good 3d video card.

    Craig Shore, Jul 17, 2005