    not, a book or two and especially ones listing independent, foreign,
    experimental, and documentary titles?

    Thanks everyone and look out NetFlix, Steve.

    Steve, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Steve

    Jeeters Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm getting ready to trial NetFlix and it seems that the way to ensure a
    > steady stream of videos is to build a large waiting list for NetFlix to

    pick
    > from so if my top listed request isn't in they can send me the next one
    > down. I'm looking for sources to create such a list (preferably electronic
    > so I can cut and paste titles rather than retype them). The best would be

    > database or spreadsheet available for download that includes title, date

    of
    > release, genre, actors, directors, etc.
    >
    > Has anybody come across such a resource whether online or by purchase, if
    > not, a book or two and especially ones listing independent, foreign,
    > experimental, and documentary titles?
    >
    > Thanks everyone and look out NetFlix, Steve.

    Try using MovieLens ( http://www.movielens.umn.edu )

    If you don't enter in any search words and hit Enter, it will just start
    spitting its whole database at you. click on the 'Movie Info' at the top of
    the list to make it start sorting alphabetically.

    Jeeters, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Steve

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm getting ready to trial NetFlix and it seems that the way to ensure a
    > steady stream of videos is to build a large waiting list for NetFlix to

    pick
    > from so if my top listed request isn't in they can send me the next one
    > down. I'm looking for sources to create such a list (preferably electronic
    > so I can cut and paste titles rather than retype them). The best would be

    > database or spreadsheet available for download that includes title, date

    of
    > release, genre, actors, directors, etc.
    >
    > Has anybody come across such a resource whether online or by purchase, if
    > not, a book or two and especially ones listing independent, foreign,
    > experimental, and documentary titles?
    >
    > Thanks everyone and look out NetFlix, Steve.

    Hi Steve,

    I have the most complete downloadable region one database available on my
    site. It now has over 34,000 titles listed including out of print and
    announced future releases. I update it about twice daily. I am currently
    adding such fields as director, actors etc but currently it does list title,
    audio, video, aspect ratio, genre etc. I hope this helps.

    --

    Doug MacLean
    Home Theater Info

    Doug MacLean, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Steve

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Doug MacLean" <> wrote in
    > I have the most complete downloadable region one database available on
    > my site. It now has over 34,000 titles listed including out of print
    > and announced future releases. I update it about twice daily. I am
    > currently adding such fields as director, actors etc but currently it
    > does list title, audio, video, aspect ratio, genre etc. I hope this
    > helps.

    Is your site database driven? Seems to be plain old HTML pages... must be
    a chore updating it ; )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Steve

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "Lucas Tam" <> wrote in message
    > "Doug MacLean" <> wrote in
    > > I have the most complete downloadable region one database available on
    > > my site. It now has over 34,000 titles listed including out of print
    > > and announced future releases. I update it about twice daily. I am
    > > currently adding such fields as director, actors etc but currently it
    > > does list title, audio, video, aspect ratio, genre etc. I hope this
    > > helps.

    > Is your site database driven? Seems to be plain old HTML pages... must be
    > a chore updating it ; )
    >
    > --
    > Lucas Tam ()

    The backend database is in SQL2K which generates the ancillary lists such as
    discontinued, cancelled, postponed, rescheduled, DTS, EX/ES etc as well as
    the downloadable files for the full database and the current updates. Most
    of the work is going through a ton of studio annoucements, calls to the
    studio reps and constant vetting of the data. The downloadable lists are
    provided in several formats. Yeah, there is a lot of work but I have managed
    to automate a lot of it so that my partner Michael and I have it pretty much
    down at this point. If it wasn't database driven it would be impossible to
    provide.

    Doug MacLean, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Steve

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:17:24 GMT, "Doug MacLean"
    <> Gave us:

    Every one of the "package sets" you list should not be there as the
    films included in them are already listed, and such package sets are
    made at the distributor level, not the studio level.

    You should list DVDs, not all the ways they ended up on shelves.

    That would concatenate your list properly, yet leave nothing out.

    DarkMatter, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Steve

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:23:47 -0700, DarkMatter
    <> Gave us:

    snip

    Other than that, it's a great list, BTW.

    DarkMatter, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Steve

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 19:34:30 GMT, Lucas Tam <>
    Gave us:

    >"Doug MacLean" <> wrote in
    >> I have the most complete downloadable region one database available on
    >> my site. It now has over 34,000 titles listed including out of print
    >> and announced future releases. I update it about twice daily. I am
    >> currently adding such fields as director, actors etc but currently it
    >> does list title, audio, video, aspect ratio, genre etc. I hope this
    >> helps.

    >Is your site database driven? Seems to be plain old HTML pages... must be
    >a chore updating it ; )

    You are not looking very closely, then.

    There are several ways of getting it in a database form factor.

    DarkMatter, Oct 4, 2003
  9. Steve

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "DarkMatter" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:17:24 GMT, "Doug MacLean"
    > <> Gave us:
    >

    > Every one of the "package sets" you list should not be there as the
    > films included in them are already listed, and such package sets are
    > made at the distributor level, not the studio level.
    >
    > You should list DVDs, not all the ways they ended up on shelves.
    >
    > That would concatenate your list properly, yet leave nothing out.

    If a set is given a separate UPC then it goes in the database as a separate
    entry. They are considered by the studios and retailers as different from
    individual releases. My database does list DVD as they are released. Sure
    with sets like the overwhelming number of American Pie releases it adds a
    lot of overhead but if there is a different UPC it should be listed. As for
    concatenation of the list there is a current list that is also downloadable
    that concentates to the main list. A unique ID number is assigned to every
    title in the database to help make sure if you have the full list only new
    records would be inported.

    Part of the reasons for including all the set variations is two fold. People
    have requested it and the studios that I depend on for data like to see
    everything included. It also permits people looking at the list know what
    purchase options exist and may help them decide how they want to purchase a
    given group of movies.

    Doug MacLean, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Steve

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:23:47 -0700, DarkMatter
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    > snip
    >
    > Other than that, it's a great list, BTW.

    Thank you, we try. Always willing to consider options for improvement.

    Doug MacLean, Oct 4, 2003
  11. Steve

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:31:11 GMT, "Doug MacLean"
    <> Gave us:

    >If a set is given a separate UPC then it goes in the database as a separate
    >entry. They are considered by the studios and retailers as different from
    >individual releases.

    Bullshit. The UPC on a package set is for that set, not the films
    contained in it. You should ONLY be concerned with the UPC which
    appears on the DVD case.

    Pretty simple shit.

    Trilogy releases and such are a different story, but some lame
    "let's put these two like films together" shit is NOT a different
    release.

    VERY simple shit.

    DarkMatter, Oct 4, 2003
  12. Steve

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:31:11 GMT, "Doug MacLean"
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    > >If a set is given a separate UPC then it goes in the database as a

    separate
    > >entry. They are considered by the studios and retailers as different from
    > >individual releases.

    > Bullshit. The UPC on a package set is for that set, not the films
    > contained in it. You should ONLY be concerned with the UPC which
    > appears on the DVD case.
    >
    > Pretty simple shit.
    >
    > Trilogy releases and such are a different story, but some lame
    > "let's put these two like films together" shit is NOT a different
    > release.
    >
    > VERY simple shit.

    Exactly, the UPC relates to the package or specific manner the title was
    released by the studio or distribitor. Since the focus of the database is
    release oriented each variation is included. It is better to include the
    variations to assist the people interested in the different ways a film is
    availble. Agreed that if the database was geared towards just the films only
    the individual titles would have to included but the database has all
    release variations as its scope.

    I am currently working on a new normalization of the database that would
    permit the user to look only at the individual films as an option. As for
    now I would perfer to offer the greatest flexibility to those that use the
    database. Again, thank you for the suggestion.

    Doug MacLean, Oct 4, 2003
  13. Steve

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:31:11 GMT, "Doug MacLean"
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    > >If a set is given a separate UPC then it goes in the database as a

    separate
    > >entry. They are considered by the studios and retailers as different from
    > >individual releases.

    > Bullshit. The UPC on a package set is for that set, not the films
    > contained in it.

    That's exactly what he said. Hence, "different releases".

    > You should ONLY be concerned with the UPC which
    > appears on the DVD case.

    That's your opinion. But if you're going to have a comprehensive list of
    every single release, you've got to count them all.

    > Trilogy releases and such are a different story, but some lame
    > "let's put these two like films together" shit is NOT a different
    > release.

    But it is. Each UPC is a different release.

    The profanity is unnecessary, BTW.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Oct 5, 2003
  14. Steve

    Lucas Tam Guest

    DarkMatter <> wrote in

    > Bullshit. The UPC on a package set is for that set, not the films
    > contained in it. You should ONLY be concerned with the UPC which
    > appears on the DVD case.

    The box and packaging maybe different, thus making it a different release -
    even though the actual discs are the same.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Oct 5, 2003
  15. Steve

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 20:39:18 GMT, Lucas Tam <>
    Gave us:

    >The box and packaging maybe different, thus making it a different release -
    >even though the actual discs are the same.

    Not. Most paired up package sets are either overstock repackaged
    bundles or "like genre" package sets to spur sales, and offer a
    discounted pair. The films themselves are already released as the UPC
    that appears ON THE DISC CASE itself, not some lame exterior package.
    Hell, half the store chains cover the UPC with their own outside the
    shrink.

    The only REAL number that should matter is the same damned number
    that EVER mattered for albums or CDs, and THAT number is the disc hub
    ID number. A unique number... ALWAYS. THAT would make the list free
    from duplications, which it is rampant with, quite unnecessarily, at
    this point.

    DarkMatter, Oct 6, 2003
  16. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Doug,
    That's more than I asked for, thanks!

    Steve, Oct 6, 2003
  17. Steve wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm getting ready to trial NetFlix and it seems that the way to ensure a
    > steady stream of videos is to build a large waiting list for NetFlix to pick
    > from so if my top listed request isn't in they can send me the next one
    > down. I'm looking for sources to create such a list (preferably electronic
    > so I can cut and paste titles rather than retype them). The best would be a
    > database or spreadsheet available for download that includes title, date of
    > release, genre, actors, directors, etc.
    >
    > Has anybody come across such a resource whether online or by purchase, if
    > not, a book or two and especially ones listing independent, foreign,
    > experimental, and documentary titles?
    >
    > Thanks everyone and look out NetFlix, Steve.

    Best way is to pick a customer list from details of movie you really like.
    Or you can use my list, link "Netflix" from my web site.

    Alexey Galiulin, Oct 6, 2003
  18. Alexey Galiulin wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm getting ready to trial NetFlix and it seems that the way to ensure a
    >> steady stream of videos is to build a large waiting list for NetFlix
    >> to pick
    >> from so if my top listed request isn't in they can send me the next one
    >> down. I'm looking for sources to create such a list (preferably
    >> electronic
    >> so I can cut and paste titles rather than retype them). The best would
    >> be a
    >> database or spreadsheet available for download that includes title,
    >> date of
    >> release, genre, actors, directors, etc.
    >>
    >> Has anybody come across such a resource whether online or by purchase, if
    >> not, a book or two and especially ones listing independent, foreign,
    >> experimental, and documentary titles?
    >>
    >> Thanks everyone and look out NetFlix, Steve.

    > Best way is to pick a customer list from details of movie you really like.
    > Or you can use my list, link "Netflix" from my web site.

    Sorry my signature feature was turn off.

    Alexey @ http://www.geocities.com/rusatg/ruscinema.htm

    Alexey Galiulin, Oct 6, 2003
  19. Steve

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:23:30 GMT, Alexey Galiulin <>
    Gave us:

    >Alexey Galiulin wrote:
    >> Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm getting ready to trial NetFlix and it seems that the way to ensure a
    >>> steady stream of videos is to build a large waiting list for NetFlix
    >>> to pick
    >>> from so if my top listed request isn't in they can send me the next one
    >>> down. I'm looking for sources to create such a list (preferably
    >>> electronic
    >>> so I can cut and paste titles rather than retype them). The best would
    >>> be a
    >>> database or spreadsheet available for download that includes title,
    >>> date of
    >>> release, genre, actors, directors, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Has anybody come across such a resource whether online or by purchase, if
    >>> not, a book or two and especially ones listing independent, foreign,
    >>> experimental, and documentary titles?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks everyone and look out NetFlix, Steve.

    >> Best way is to pick a customer list from details of movie you really like.
    >> Or you can use my list, link "Netflix" from my web site.
    >>

    >Sorry my signature feature was turn off.
    >
    >Alexey @ http://www.geocities.com/rusatg/ruscinema.htm

    If all it is is SPAM and ****'d in the head popups, who gives a fat
    flying ****, you retarded jackoff?

    Yer a goddamned idiot for putting popups in what you claim to be a
    data resource site. Get a clue, dipshit. Hasn't anyone told you yet
    that popups are LAME!?

    DarkMatter, Oct 6, 2003
  20. Steve

    Skid Guest

    > If all it is is SPAM and ****'d in the head popups, who gives a fat
    > flying ****, you retarded jackoff?
    >
    > Yer a goddamned idiot for putting popups in what you claim to be a
    > data resource site. Get a clue, dipshit. Hasn't anyone told you yet
    > that popups are LAME!?

    Prescription run out again, DM?

    The guy runs a site that provides a service. If you don't like the way it's
    organized or presented, go set up your own.

    Skid, Oct 6, 2003