    lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
    be great.

    Thank In advance

    *K*, Feb 24, 2006

  2. T'was the Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:59:31 +1300 when I remembered *K*
    <krenulim@t 4otmale.com> saying something like this:

    >HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
    >winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
    >hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
    >would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
    >looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
    >to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
    >lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
    >be great.

    Try Fedora Core 4. It's available for download from
    http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/. You can also buy Fedora Core 3 on
    DVD from http://www.dse.co.nz (search for product XC4041).

    Fedora's a pretty good distribution to start out with. You have the
    option to install additional packages during installation, select
    Apache for your webserver, MySQL for your SQL server, and PHP for your
    dynamic content engine (for lack of a better descriptor on my part).

    From there, have a play around. You might be able to upgrade the
    packages using Yum. Try at a command prompt as a powerful user "yum
    upgrade all" (I believe). It should upgrade all your packages over the
    internet. Like Windows Update, but covers most of your packages.

    Other than that, have a play around. Try typing in 'man' without the
    quotes at the command line to read the manual.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 24, 2006

  3. *K*

    *K* Guest

    Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i
    said, ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not
    much "grunt" needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng
    pretty reasonable...

    Cheers

    *K*, Feb 24, 2006
  4. On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:59:31 +1300, *K* wrote:

    > HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
    > winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need hardware
    > wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I would like to
    > setup a web server once it's up and running so was looking at Xampp to set
    > that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where to START.......any and all
    > help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page lecture (although probably need
    > it) just some helpful weblinks would be great.
    >
    > Thank In advance

    What do you intend to do with that computer once you've got it working?

    Linux is very different from Windows or M$DOS. If you have no knowledge of
    Unix then you'll probably want to start with a distro with a couple of
    nice GUIs for Noobs. I suggest Mandriva, or SuSE or Fedora Core.

    I also suggest that you use Apache for you web server. It is the most
    common http server.

    Linux's hardware requirements are easier than those for Windoze. There are
    versions of Linux compiled for virtually every hardware platform
    presently available, from the nearly useless Intel 486 right up to the
    latest IBM mainframe. I suggest that you go for an AMD64 CPU, and a 64bit
    version of Linux.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 24, 2006
  5. On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:30:29 +1300, *K* wrote:

    > Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i said,
    > ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not much "grunt"
    > needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng pretty
    > reasonable...

    What sort of load would you be expecting on your website?

    One or two hits a day? Or millions? If one or two hits a day, or even if
    several thousands a day, then a P2 or equivalent, will suffice.

    Just remember - Linux can handle higher sustained loads than a Windows box.

    Also remember that the Unix way is very different from the Micro$oft way.
    You'll need to change your thinking habits.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Buffer overflow attacks. By flooding a program with too much data, a hacker
    can track and manipulate the overflow and trick the system into following his

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 24, 2006
  6. *K*

    Chris Hope Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:59:31 +1300 when I remembered *K*
    > <krenulim@t 4otmale.com> saying something like this:
    >
    >>HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
    >>winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
    >>hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
    >>would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
    >>looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
    >>to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
    >>lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
    >>be great.

    > Try Fedora Core 4. It's available for download from
    > http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/. You can also buy Fedora Core 3 on
    > DVD from http://www.dse.co.nz (search for product XC4041).

    Or you can buy FC4 from me :) Not as cheap as DSE but then that's
    because they press them, which I guess is also the reason the only seem
    to stock old versions of distros instead of the current versions.
    http://www.linuxcdmall.com/fedora.html

    [snip]

    Chris Hope, Feb 24, 2006
  7. T'was the Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:48:56 +1300 when I remembered Chris Hope
    <> saying something like this:

    >Or you can buy FC4 from me :) Not as cheap as DSE but then that's
    >because they press them, which I guess is also the reason the only seem
    >to stock old versions of distros instead of the current versions.
    >http://www.linuxcdmall.com/fedora.html

    Go with Chris. Chris is way more awesome than DSE:)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 24, 2006
  8. *K*

    Chris Hope Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:48:56 +1300 when I remembered Chris Hope
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Or you can buy FC4 from me :) Not as cheap as DSE but then that's
    >>because they press them, which I guess is also the reason the only
    >>seem to stock old versions of distros instead of the current versions.
    >>http://www.linuxcdmall.com/fedora.html

    > Go with Chris. Chris is way more awesome than DSE:)

    Heh :)

    Chris Hope, Feb 24, 2006
  9. *K*

    thingy Guest

    *K* wrote:
    > Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i
    > said, ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not
    > much "grunt" needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng
    > pretty reasonable...

    Anything....most hardware will work....I have not found much that does not.

    Depends on how much you want to spend. Mostly a basic p2 will saturate
    all adsl or cable modem bandwidth you have. The only time you will need
    grunt for a webserver is if it is running active pages with a database
    behind it.....

    New, I would go for a base AMD cpu (2400?), gigabyte motherboard (with
    raid), 500M or 1 gig of ram, HD ~ 2 x 160Gig (raid 1 them) more for
    speed than size.....gig network card, pci-e video a 128 meg one if it is
    going to run a gui......

    Otherwise if it is going to be on your cable or adls modem (I assume) a
    p2-300 with 256 meg ram is heaps....something basic on trademe like this,

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Servers/Servers/auction-48512760.htm

    at $389

    or,

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Servers/Servers/auction-48520761.htm

    at $130

    heaps big enough....

    My home webserver is a p2-300 (that only runs at 200) 256meg ram, 2 x 20
    gig ide drives, it also runs smtp, imap and DNS....it has a dds3 for
    backing up, but these days I'd go dvd-r.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Feb 24, 2006
  10. *K*

    Enkidu Guest

    *K* wrote:

    > Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i
    > said, ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not
    > much "grunt" needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng
    > pretty reasonable...

    For a *web server*!?!? Even a heavily scripted web server will run on a
    lowish spec machine!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 24, 2006
  11. *K*

    Enkidu Guest

    *K* wrote:

    > HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
    > winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
    > hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
    > would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
    > looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
    > to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
    > lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
    > be great.

    Xampp? Most Linux distros install apache by default!

    Stay away from the pile of fetid dingos' kidneys that is Fedora Core.

    Mandrake, SuSe or (my preference) Debian are the way to go.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 24, 2006
  12. *K*

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    *K* <karenulim@t 4otmale.com> wrote:

    > Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i
    > said, ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not
    > much "grunt" needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng
    > pretty reasonable...

    Anything made and sold today is vast overkill for a web server.

    I have www.hoult.org on a 133 MHz MIPS machine running RedHat linux.
    That's slower than the ARM CPU in a modern cell phone or iPod, but it
    has easily handled several slashdottings to my pages and OSNewsings to
    my flatmate's pages. Being hosted at rackspace.com, the slowest thing
    attaching it to the internet is the 100 Mbps ethernet out the back of
    it. If you're on DSL or Cable then a 386 with sufficient RAM would be
    fine.

    All this is assuming you're serving up static html and images and
    movies. If you have calculations and databases and dynamic pages then
    you can need a lot of CPU power. But few people need to run Google
    from home.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Feb 24, 2006
  13. *K*

    Shane Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > *K* <karenulim@t 4otmale.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i
    >> said, ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not
    >> much "grunt" needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng
    >> pretty reasonable...

    > Anything made and sold today is vast overkill for a web server.
    >
    > I have www.hoult.org on a 133 MHz MIPS machine running RedHat linux.
    > That's slower than the ARM CPU in a modern cell phone or iPod, but it
    > has easily handled several slashdottings to my pages and OSNewsings to
    > my flatmate's pages. Being hosted at rackspace.com, the slowest thing
    > attaching it to the internet is the 100 Mbps ethernet out the back of
    > it. If you're on DSL or Cable then a 386 with sufficient RAM would be
    > fine.
    >
    > All this is assuming you're serving up static html and images and
    > movies. If you have calculations and databases and dynamic pages then
    > you can need a lot of CPU power. But few people need to run Google
    > from home.

    http://www.ictp.trieste.it/~cfonda/sudan/OSs/references/freeBSD/Yahoo_and_FreeBSD.html
    FreeBSD has been extremely stable for us. We've seen over 180 days of uptime
    on a machine serving over 4 million HTTP requests per day. Performance has
    been impressive too. With disk striping using ccd we've been able to serve
    over 12 million HTTP requests per day on a PPro200 with 128MB of memory.

    (OK its freebsd not linux, and the machine is one of many in a cluster, but
    I think it shows how hardware isnt a major consideration)
    Oh and the website?
    www.yahoo.com (Back on FreeBSD version 2.1 Stable so circa 1995?)

    Oh and Bruce.. I went to have a nosey at your site and got
    This page is a place holder for the home page of your own web site.
    :)

    Shane, Feb 24, 2006
  14. *K*

    Peter Guest

    *K* wrote:
    > HI GUys and gals, I want ot build a Linux box from scratch, have built
    > winboxes, but just want to bracnch out a bit, so what do i need
    > hardware wise and which flavour of linux would someone reccomend, I
    > would like to setup a web server once it's up and running so was
    > looking at Xampp to set that up, but prior to that.......urrrgh where
    > to START.......any and all help appreciated, I dont expect a 100 page
    > lecture (although probably need it) just some helpful weblinks would
    > be great.

    Linux is very different to Windos, so there is lots to learn.

    As for choice of distro, there is some info here ...
    http://wiki.linux.net.nz/SelectingADistribution

    or you can try out the Linux distro chooser ...
    http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php

    I prefer Mandriva, but people have had good results with other distros and
    Ubuntu and Suse are popular, too.
    For an easy start, try Knoppix - this boots off the CD and doesn't install
    anything on the hard disk (also an easy way to check hardware
    compatibility).

    Good luck, have fun!

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 24, 2006
  15. *K*

    *K* Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:36:32 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >What do you intend to do with that computer once you've got it working?

    Just experiment with linuux a bit, and ultimately run my webpages (web
    server)

    >Linux is very different from Windows or M$DOS. If you have no knowledge of
    >Unix then you'll probably want to start with a distro with a couple of
    >nice GUIs for Noobs. I suggest Mandriva, or SuSE or Fedora Core.

    good call, thats 2 votes for Fedora and yes, the more windoze (or at
    least graphical GUI) the better.

    >I also suggest that you use Apache for you web server. It is the most
    >common http server.

    Thanks, have been suggested a program that auto install
    apache/mysql/php.

    >Linux's hardware requirements are easier than those for Windoze. There are
    >versions of Linux compiled for virtually every hardware platform
    >presently available, from the nearly useless Intel 486 right up to the
    >latest IBM mainframe. I suggest that you go for an AMD64 CPU, and a 64bit
    >version of Linux.

    Great, thanks for that.

    *K*, Feb 24, 2006
  16. *K*

    *K* Guest

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:44:24 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:30:29 +1300, *K* wrote:
    >
    >> Nice, thanks for the start, any idea on hardware req's please? as i said,
    >> ultimately i want to run a webserver, so although I guess not much "grunt"
    >> needed for linux it'self, the server will need somethng pretty
    >> reasonable...

    >What sort of load would you be expecting on your website?

    maybe 200 or so only

    >One or two hits a day? Or millions? If one or two hits a day, or even if
    >several thousands a day, then a P2 or equivalent, will suffice.

    WOW..........wasnt aware of that, sounds like I may be able to salvage
    my old PC for this then..... P3 733mhz from memory.

    >Just remember - Linux can handle higher sustained loads than a Windows box.
    >
    >Also remember that the Unix way is very different from the Micro$oft way.
    >You'll need to change your thinking habits.

    Steep learning curve I know........ahhhh the things we do.... thanks.

    *K*, Feb 24, 2006
  17. *K*

    *K* Guest

    cheers for that, may take a look

    *K*, Feb 24, 2006
  18. *K*

    *K* Guest

    Cheers for that..........

    *K*, Feb 24, 2006
  19. *K*

    *K* Guest

    Startiong to sound like it from the feedback I have so far..........

    Thanks for the help

    *K*, Feb 24, 2006
  20. *K*

    *K* Guest

    >Xampp? Most Linux distros install apache by default!

    hey......dont shoot the new gal......

    >Stay away from the pile of fetid dingos' kidneys that is Fedora Core.

    Oh.........how so....I have 2 votes for that so far......remembering
    IAM a total newbie at linux.........why dis it?

    >Mandrake, SuSe or (my preference) Debian are the way to go.

    OK, will have a look at these also.

    Cheers

    *K*, Feb 24, 2006