    CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Cerfied
    (After first the Microsoft exams....these puppies make me an
    MCSA.....suweeet)

    CG101, Dec 25, 2005

  2. CG101

    Kurt Guest

    If you can go with a kvm switch, check out eBay for the best hardware deals.
    I just bought an XP2600+ / FX5200 / 512M / 80G HD / 350W PS / CDRW for $250
    (+$25 shipping). You might have to look around while for a deal that good,
    but it's worth the bother. Ideal home setup for a MS lab - 2 DCs, as many
    workstations as you can have, maybe a Linux box for BIND, etc. Also bought
    an 8 port KVM with cables for $100.00.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Dec 26, 2005

  3. Three computers and at least two monitors. You can use a cheap electrical
    KVM switch for two computers to share a monitor if need be. You can buy
    cheap used computers on Ebay for $100 or less that work well. Have them all
    networked and connected to the internet via an internet router. Also get
    some removable drive trays and extra hard drives all in double or triple
    boot configuration and you can cover almost every possibility. Depending on
    your budget and what you want to learn also get a real firewall, a real
    managed switch, and maybe a real router. There are Netscreen 5XP firewalls
    with latest firmware on Ebay for around $80, lots of older Cisco routers
    that route well but only at 10MB, and lots of used HP Procurve/Cisco
    switches on Ebay for reasonable prices. I am not sure which Cisco router is
    best to learn on a budget these days but the 2514 with all the accessories
    and late firmware, maximum memory, and transceivers used to be a good
    choice and should be found for around $150 or so on Ebay. --- Steve

    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=netscreen 5xp ---
    Netscreen 5XP
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210&cat=HDD --- drive trays

    Steven L Umbach, Dec 26, 2005
  4. CG101

    CG101 Guest

    Yeah I will be dealing with a KVM setup...no need to spend on extra
    monitors, etc.

    Tell me something, would it be necessary to have one client box for Linux in
    a Windows setup? I'm not familiar with BIND or any UNIX services. I was told
    that it might be important to set up printing through a Unix box, so I'm not
    sure if this is what you meant. I got familiar with Unix/Linux when I was
    studying for my Network+. Linux I'm sure is something I would get into later
    but I'm trying to concentrate on Microsoft right now. Please excuse my
    ignorance and I'm gonna start hunting for cheap boxes on eBay now.

    Cruz
    CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified

    CG101, Dec 26, 2005
  5. CG101

    CG101 Guest

    I am not looking into (right now) to learn Cisco. I was hoping to get away
    with maybe a fake router/firewall (e.g. Linksys or Netgear). I don't want to
    take away my focus of studying for my MCSE. Once I get my MCSE (or maybe A),
    I may upgrade the fake stuff for some real deals (the firewall/intelligent
    switch/router setup) and earn my CCNA. However I'm more interested in
    earning my MCSE then MCDBA then learning SQL Server 2005 to upgrade to the
    new certification. The other suggestions look good though and I will be
    looking into Ebay for those items. If you can advise me on anything else
    concerning the lab (or if I'm wrong in my thinking) please let me know. I
    may just be thinking with my wallet instead of what is proper. :)

    CG101, Dec 26, 2005
  6. CG101

    Kurt Guest

    IN my experience, the MS tests ask a few general questions about Linux /
    Unix interoperability, but having a *nix box isn't necessary to pass the
    test.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Dec 26, 2005
  7. CG101

    Kurt Guest

    It would benefit you to be able to set up routed connections to simulate
    sites, subnets, routed trusts, etc. A cheap router will do as long as it can
    be configured as a true router (NOT just one-way NAT). The $50.00 broadband
    routers are generally one-trick ponys.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Dec 26, 2005
  8. CG101

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "CG101" <> say in

    > I am looking into building a home lab. Trying to get a survey from
    > folks of the type of equipment they use at their home/work
    > environment.

    If I'm using actual hardware, I use 3 desktop PCs (HP Evo 510s withs
    2.4Ghz procs and 1Gb of RAM each) on a separate segment. 1 client, 1 DC
    and since I am learning more about SQL 2005 these days (on to SSAS, SSRS
    and SSIS) a member server running the product of choice - in this case
    SQL 2005. This also gives me the flexability to run SQL on the DC as well
    to try things like Replication, DB Mirroring, etc. I could be doing this
    off of instances on the same box, but it's like learning networking using
    the loopback adapter.

    I use a KVM as well. I don't have unlimited real estate... ;)

    > Not looking to use virtual machines (e.g. VMWare) as I
    > want to interact with the individual hardware too.

    This is just crazy talk IMHO. Yes I have the 3 servers, but I will from
    time to time through Virtual Server on the box as this allows me to try
    out the clustering schtuff too. There are benefits to VMs.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - I'm out of bed and dressed. What more do you want?

    Neil, Dec 26, 2005
  9. CG101

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "CG101" <> say in

    > Once I get my MCSE (or maybe A),
    > I may upgrade the fake stuff for some real deals (the
    > firewall/intelligent switch/router setup) and earn my CCNA.

    make sure you use actual Cisco gear to get the Cert. e-bay is a wonder...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - What are you doing?!? The message is over. GO AWAY!

    Neil, Dec 26, 2005
  10. CG101

    CG101 Guest

    This also gives me the flexability to run SQL on the DC as well
    > to try things like Replication, DB Mirroring, etc. I could be doing this
    > off of instances on the same box, but it's like learning networking using
    > the loopback adapter.

    I am curious...every production DC I've worked on never had apps on it (I
    can fathom because it was due to stability issues). Our Exchange 2K3 servers
    we have at work are on seperate clusters but within our W2K3 forrest. How
    does putting SQL 2K5 on a DC give you flexibility? I am not suggesting by
    any means this is wrong as I know some shops do have apps on DCs, but the
    only things I've seen the DCs used for would be WINS, DNS, DHCP, etc...but
    apps on member servers.

    > Not looking to use virtual machines (e.g. VMWare) as I
    > want to interact with the individual hardware too.

    >>This is just crazy talk IMHO. Yes I have the 3 servers, but I >>will from
    >>time to time through Virtual Server on the box as this allows me >>to try
    >>out the clustering schtuff too. There are benefits to VMs.

    VMs are something I may deal with, but I would feel more comfortable with
    real boxes first. Virtualization is the future. Blade server farms and SANs
    are being purchased simply for the purpose. It is something I wish to get
    into as well as way to help clients save money. However I have to play catch
    up with myself if I wish to even deal with that. I'm akin to being an
    unlicensed plumber that does excellent plumbing work (words of my past and
    current employers...I can't tout my own horn)....but I can't join the
    plumbers union unless I get that piece of paper. My experience plus future
    certs will correct that...but now I wish to design my own infrastructure as
    opposed to maintaining (usually) someone else's mess. Your advice is valid,
    and will keep that in mind when I begin the process. For that I thank you.

    CG101, Dec 26, 2005
  11. CG101

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "CG101" <> say in

    > I am curious...every production DC I've worked on never had apps on it
    > (I can fathom because it was due to stability issues). Our Exchange
    > 2K3 servers we have at work are on seperate clusters but within our
    > W2K3 forrest. How does putting SQL 2K5 on a DC give you flexibility? I
    > am not suggesting by any means this is wrong as I know some shops do
    > have apps on DCs, but the only things I've seen the DCs used for would
    > be WINS, DNS, DHCP, etc...but apps on member servers.

    I would never do it in a production scenario (performance issues) but in
    a test lab scenario, it's one more PC without purchasin more hardware. In
    production we have multiple DCs that are also WINS/DNS/DHCP servers
    (minor load for those services - the AV software consume more resources),
    but my SQL servers are on separate boxes (several) as is Exchange, web,
    file and terminal services. Work has the cash for the 50+ servers to make
    that happen. For my test labs, I have a more limited budget.

    > VMs are something I may deal with, but I would feel more comfortable
    > with real boxes first. Virtualization is the future. Blade server
    > farms and SANs are being purchased simply for the purpose. It is
    > something I wish to get into as well as way to help clients save
    > money. However I have to play catch up with myself if I wish to even
    > deal with that. I'm akin to being an unlicensed plumber that does
    > excellent plumbing work (words of my past and current employers...I
    > can't tout my own horn)....but I can't join the plumbers union unless
    > I get that piece of paper. My experience plus future certs will
    > correct that...but now I wish to design my own infrastructure as
    > opposed to maintaining (usually) someone else's mess. Your advice is
    > valid, and will keep that in mind when I begin the process. For that I
    > thank you.

    you're going to use blades and SANs for your test lab? DUDE! that's some
    training budget ya got! care to share? Seriously, you are trying to LEARN
    the product, so peformance shouldn't be a huge issue. VMs will allow you
    to install/uninstall, break/fix, and generally play with the products and
    learn what works and what doesn't. If you do have an unlimited budget to
    create out of real hardware the types of networks and server configs you
    are speaking about, you have a LOT of cash lying around.

    Good luck on the cert process though...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - The most useful tool for dealing with management types is, of course,
    an automatic weapon.

    Neil, Dec 27, 2005
  12. CG101

    CG101 Guest

    Well...I am on ebay and I'm bidding on 2 PIIs....I might get one of them for
    sure, the other is a two-day auction. If all goes well I would have spent no
    more than $150 for two boxes....hey it's something. I can always get deals
    on HDs and RAM from around when I need them. I'm doing my homework too on
    how to deal with the firewall/router/switch issue. Perhaps the broaband
    routers may not be good for me....but I'll cross the bridge when I get
    though. Anymore help will be more than appreciated from all.....

    And a message to those looking into braindumps....this is how it's done to
    earn a cert....any A-hole can cheat....but you won't be able to cheat an
    interview.

    CG101, Dec 27, 2005
  13. CG101

    CG101 Guest

    > you're going to use blades and SANs for your test lab? DUDE! that's some
    > training budget ya got! care to share? Seriously, you are trying to LEARN
    > the product, so peformance shouldn't be a huge issue. VMs will allow you
    > to install/uninstall, break/fix, and generally play with the products and
    > learn what works and what doesn't. If you do have an unlimited budget to
    > create out of real hardware the types of networks and server configs you
    > are speaking about, you have a LOT of cash lying around.
    >
    > Good luck on the cert process though...

    WHOA THERE.........I guess it was my fault for not specifying that clients
    with million dollar IT budgets are buying SANs and blade servers, as opposed
    to me with a 55k a year salary that would simply want to learn
    virtualization on a very limited scale. My job has two Clariion CX600
    SANs...I can't afford a single storate array :)

    I will start with a couple of real boxes first....then will definitely get
    into VM for those purposes. As I said in an earlier post I just put a bid on
    two P-IIs...those should be more than enough for my purposes....I got a
    monitor and KVM already....so hopefully I can save some money. O/Ses...I'm
    gonna deal with the 180 trials as they won't take me that long to do what
    needs to get done

    CG101, Dec 27, 2005
  14. CG101

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "CG101" <> say in news:Wy2sf.6809
    $:

    > .I'm
    > gonna deal with the 180 trials as they won't take me that long to do

    what
    > needs to get done

    Cruz, blow the bank on a year of TechNet Plus and as an added bonus you
    will get the betas, and they also include the stuff that is normally 180
    day trials, but extended for a bit ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Sometimes the act of searching is more important than what you're
    searching for.

    Neil, Dec 27, 2005
  15. CG101

    CG101 Guest

    Don't I get a deal on TechNet Plus if I'm an MCP?

    CG101, Dec 28, 2005
  16. CG101

    CG101 Guest

    Just to let you know....with shipping I just bought 2 Dell Optiplex GX1 P-II
    350s off of eBay that are known to be in good working order for $104. The
    machines are an allusion to my old desktop support days at a now defunct
    online brokage I used to work for...so it'll be like...hehehehe....old
    times. Plus XP will run ok on them once I up the RAM. I might have to deal
    with VMWare when I start on 2003 Server...but I'll see. Not looking for
    performance...just need them to work and learn more on. They both have 128
    MB (have RAM lying around to bring them up to speed) and 6.4 GB HD (I got
    10-20 giggers lying around as well). For a home lab this is perfect for now.
    Upon receiving the goods and if they are as advertised (the seller had high
    feedback rating....), the MCSE fun can begin... :) I would like to share my
    progress with you all and will continue to take all suggestions.

    CG101, Dec 28, 2005
  17. CG101

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "CG101" <> say in news:6jmsf.8806
    $:

    > Don't I get a deal on TechNet Plus if I'm an MCP?

    appearently not, if the MCP private pages are to be believed. THere is
    however a 30% discount on the TechNet page:

    Neil MCNGP#30

    - I may have my faults, but being wrong isn't one of them.

    Neil, Dec 28, 2005
  18. CG101

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "CG101" <> say in news:eek:Lqsf.11847
    $:

    > I might have to deal
    > with VMWare when I start on 2003 Server...but I'll see.

    Microsoft's VPC will be cheaper, but you will need WAY MORE RAM, and a
    processor from this millenia would be good too.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - If life is but a stage, I want better lighting.

    Neil, Dec 28, 2005
  19. CG101

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "CG101" <> say in news:eek:Lqsf.11847
    $:

    > and will continue to take all suggestions.

    look both ways before you cross the street ;)

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - I'm mooning you now, you just can't see me.

    Neil, Dec 28, 2005
  20. CG101

    CG101 Guest

    I might be able to afford a Proliant server...but only one that was made
    circa 20th century. A Compaq DL380 G2 is actually within my means...(plus we
    use G2s,G3s, and G4s at work... :) ) Though I wouldn't shy away from a Dell
    Poweredge (which if I'm lucky might get to be 21st century).

    I'll put VPC on that when I'm ready for 70-290 which hopefully will be in
    February...

    The important thing for me though is that I'm getting 3 client machi
    nes....then I might get at least one DC maybe two......if I need to get
    more, then that's when virtualization will have to get done. Better this
    then spending a ridiculous amount of money. Seriously can't wait to start.

    CG101, Dec 29, 2005