    backup computer for the kids.

    TIA for any feedback...

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Steve

    Thor Guest

    depends on whether it has a proprietary case. A standard motherboard and
    power supply might not fit. Otherwise, you should be able to use the
    existing harddrive, CD drives, etc. Incidentally, how did you "burn up" the
    existing sound card?

    Thor, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Steve

    Pepperoni Guest

    You would probably be ahead by starting with a new case and power supply to
    match the form factor and power requirements of the new board. A new main
    board and cpu would likely use a different type memory than you have in the
    old machine. The floppy, cd and hard drive could probably be plugged in to
    the new works but would have less capacity and performance than new
    hardware. You would probably only save about $150 by using the old drives
    in the new machine. You could even use the old hard drive as a slave drive,
    but why take the old machine apart for such slight benefit?

    Sound cards come cheap. A new modem card could improve performance, too.
    You may be able to add memory and upgrade the cpu for a bargain price. Your
    options depend on your current motherboard and parts availability.

    If you are only looking for a machine for the kids, shop around for
    clearance items. Many stores have a few of last seasons machines to move
    out the door. Last seasons machines can be a big improvement over what you
    are using now. Sears is my favorite place to look for bargains, but other
    stores have these items to move. Look for a row of clearance tags on the
    bottom shelf in the corner of the department. Get one in an unopened box.
    (If only the display item is available, ask for further discount) They have
    a full warranty.

    Pepperoni

    Pepperoni, Nov 30, 2003
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    You just had to ask that question. The power supply on this system
    went out and I bought a Generic one from Best Buy. I told the person
    at Best Buy how many connectors my old supply had and he claimed he
    never heard of one going to the sound card. So after installing the
    new power supply I noticed an extra plug that looked like it would fit
    the sound card, wrong! It must have been to high of voltage and for
    some other device. Once I turned on the system a small flame started
    to grow on the sound card so I pulled the plug, now no sound. After
    doing a little research on power supplies I found out the system uses
    a special power supply. I believe the sound card has an built in
    amplifier and needs power to work. Yes I learned a lesson, only hook
    up connectors that match the original color of the wires.

    Steve, Nov 30, 2003
  5. Steve

    Thor Guest

    > You just had to ask that question. The power supply on this system
    > went out and I bought a Generic one from Best Buy. I told the person
    > at Best Buy how many connectors my old supply had and he claimed he
    > never heard of one going to the sound card. So after installing the
    > new power supply I noticed an extra plug that looked like it would fit
    > the sound card, wrong! It must have been to high of voltage and for
    > some other device. Once I turned on the system a small flame started
    > to grow on the sound card so I pulled the plug, now no sound. After
    > doing a little research on power supplies I found out the system uses
    > a special power supply. I believe the sound card has an built in
    > amplifier and needs power to work. Yes I learned a lesson, only hook
    > up connectors that match the original color of the wires.

    The card, whether it has a built-in amp for non-amplified speakers or not,
    gets it's power from the slot it is plugged into. The connector on the sound
    card was likely for auxilliary sound inputs, or a modem sound input, etc.
    I've never, ever seen a sound card that required an extra power supply feed.
    Sometimes a power supply will have an additional plug for system fan
    monitoring. That may have been what you saw. You are very lucky that you
    didn't fry much more than just the sound card.

    Thor, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:48:54 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >"Steve" <d56mich(remove)@comcast(remove).net> wrote in message
    >> You just had to ask that question. The power supply on this system
    >> went out and I bought a Generic one from Best Buy. I told the person
    >> at Best Buy how many connectors my old supply had and he claimed he
    >> never heard of one going to the sound card. So after installing the
    >> new power supply I noticed an extra plug that looked like it would fit
    >> the sound card, wrong! It must have been to high of voltage and for
    >> some other device. Once I turned on the system a small flame started
    >> to grow on the sound card so I pulled the plug, now no sound. After
    >> doing a little research on power supplies I found out the system uses
    >> a special power supply. I believe the sound card has an built in
    >> amplifier and needs power to work. Yes I learned a lesson, only hook
    >> up connectors that match the original color of the wires.

    >The card, whether it has a built-in amp for non-amplified speakers or not,
    >gets it's power from the slot it is plugged into. The connector on the sound
    >card was likely for auxilliary sound inputs, or a modem sound input, etc.
    >I've never, ever seen a sound card that required an extra power supply feed.
    >Sometimes a power supply will have an additional plug for system fan
    >monitoring. That may have been what you saw. You are very lucky that you
    >didn't fry much more than just the sound card.

    Your right the power was not for the sound card, I did a little
    research and the extra plug is called a "The original unit on some
    models may have a P8 4 Pin Video Power Connector." Either I plugged
    it into the wrong plug on the sound card or I have a card that is both
    a video & sound card. I do know that the card has both sound jacks
    and a TV & S-Video jack. The P8 is only found on the original HP
    power supply and 1 after market piece. At least now I know I can
    replace the sound card with out worrying about the plug I did have. I
    know enough about computers to do minor repairs, but the HP is
    different then my Dell when it comes to cards. It was top of the line
    when I bought it many moons ago. The case was one of the last full
    size cases HP made and has plenty of room inside. This is why I was
    thinking of using this case and rebuilding it.

    Thanks for you input...Steve

    Steve, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Steve

    Wizard Guest

    Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):

    Alienware ............ 8.5
    Dell ................. 8.3
    Micron ............... 7.6 (inflexible and pricey)
    IBM .................. 6.8
    Gateway .............. 6.0 (fails in Customer/tech support)
    Compaq ............... 5.6
    Acer ................. 5.3
    NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
    EMachines ............ 1.5
    Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)

    Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
    because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here that
    you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

    Wizard, Dec 1, 2003