    loud fan to cool.

    All genuine replys welcome.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    I am looking at this setup at the moment any obvious probs with it

    Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz CPU, 800 Mhz FSB, Northwood Socket 478, Retail
    pack with fan

    Abit AI7 motherboard, Socket 478, 800MHz FSB, 4xDIMM, DDR, 8XAGP, 5xPCI,
    8xUSB 2, Firewire, Audio, SATA, ATA-100, RAID, LAN, ATX

    Now do I have to run 800mhz Ram which is rather expensive at the moment,

    If I have to look at 400mhz ram what should I look at for a chip.

    Cheers

    Jeremy

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'am looking at building a new box, Whats got good bang for buck, I want
    > preformance with no cooling issues, with some usb2 or firewire ports and
    > pref onboard lan, do not want onboard audio. Whats a good lcd screen to

    buy

    Jeremy, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Jeremy

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:24:52 +1300, "Jeremy" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'am looking at building a new box, Whats got good bang for buck, I want
    >preformance with no cooling issues, with some usb2 or firewire ports and
    >pref onboard lan, do not want onboard audio. Whats a good lcd screen to buy
    >as well.
    >
    >What brands would be best to go for and what should I stay away from for
    >Motherboards,
    >
    >Chips, what offers good preformance at a resonable price without needing a
    >loud fan to cool.
    >
    >All genuine replys welcome.
    >
    >Jeremy

    Intel the ONLY Way..

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Jeremy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > I'am looking at building a new box, Whats got good bang for buck, I
    > want preformance with no cooling issues, with some usb2 or firewire
    > ports and pref onboard lan, do not want onboard audio. Whats a good
    > lcd screen to buy as well.
    >
    > What brands would be best to go for and what should I stay away from
    > for Motherboards,
    >
    > Chips, what offers good preformance at a resonable price without
    > needing a loud fan to cool.
    >
    > All genuine replys welcome.
    >
    > Jeremy

    VIA is cheap , but you get what you pay for IMHO, stay with intel chipset
    on the motherboard, if you are going to run windows OS.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Jeremy

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:44:09 +1300, "Jeremy" <>
    wrote:

    >I am looking at this setup at the moment any obvious probs with it
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz CPU, 800 Mhz FSB, Northwood Socket 478, Retail
    >pack with fan
    >
    > Abit AI7 motherboard, Socket 478, 800MHz FSB, 4xDIMM, DDR, 8XAGP, 5xPCI,
    >8xUSB 2, Firewire, Audio, SATA, ATA-100, RAID, LAN, ATX
    >
    >Now do I have to run 800mhz Ram which is rather expensive at the moment,

    No you have it wrong just go for 400mhz Kingmax ram, the Ram is not clocked
    from the CPU FSB, as such, the bus is 200 mhz, the P4 has a 4 times
    multiplier.

    >If I have to look at 400mhz ram what should I look at for a chip.

    Kingmax is a good buy and cheap..

    The Abit mobo has good reviews.

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Jeremy

    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'am looking at building a new box, Whats got good bang for buck, I want
    >preformance with no cooling issues, with some usb2 or firewire ports and
    >pref onboard lan, do not want onboard audio. Whats a good lcd screen to buy
    >as well.

    The AOC that PP list seems a good buy fast 16ms pixel speed.

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Jeremy

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 20:44:09 +1300, Jeremy wrote:

    > I am looking at this setup at the moment any obvious probs with it
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz CPU, 800 Mhz FSB, Northwood Socket 478, Retail
    > pack with fan

    I thought that you said you wanted a box without loud fan noise?

    There are CPUs out there which are presently 1gHz and which do not
    require anything more than a basic heatsink as they run so lool.

    "c" chips or something like that.

    The loudest part of the computer using those chips will be the power
    supply - and you can get noiseless power supplies these days.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 4, 2004
  8. Jeremy

    Ali P Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking at this setup at the moment any obvious probs with it
    >
    > Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz CPU, 800 Mhz FSB, Northwood Socket 478, Retail
    > pack with fan
    >
    > Abit AI7 motherboard, Socket 478, 800MHz FSB, 4xDIMM, DDR, 8XAGP, 5xPCI,
    > 8xUSB 2, Firewire, Audio, SATA, ATA-100, RAID, LAN, ATX
    >
    > Now do I have to run 800mhz Ram which is rather expensive at the moment,
    >
    > If I have to look at 400mhz ram what should I look at for a chip.

    No probs there. The springdale chipset and 2.4c P4 are a great combo. Its an
    excellent overclocker too if you want to squeeze a bit more out of your CPU.
    The RAM you're after is DDR400.
    Apparently the springdale chipsets are meant to be a bit picky when it comes
    to running your RAM in dual channel mode - which is what you'll want to do
    to get the most out of your board. That said however, I have a P4P800 and
    just threw in some cheapo transcend DDR400 in dual mode and it benchmarks
    well against other pricier RAM.
    If you want to get something off the 'approved' list, have a look here ...
    http://www2.abit.com.tw/test_report/AI7/02.php
    AL

    Ali P, Jan 4, 2004
  9. Jeremy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'am looking at building a new box, Whats got good bang for buck, I
    > want preformance with no cooling issues, with some usb2 or firewire
    > ports and pref onboard lan, do not want onboard audio. Whats a good
    > lcd screen to buy as well.
    >
    > What brands would be best to go for and what should I stay away from
    > for Motherboards,
    >
    > Chips, what offers good preformance at a resonable price without
    > needing a loud fan to cool.
    >
    > All genuine replys welcome.
    >
    > Jeremy

    IMO the best bang-for-buck is currently a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L mobo (Socket A,
    nVidia Ultra 400 chipset) with an AMD Barton XP2500+ retail CPU/HSF. I have
    put several of these together recently, all straight-forward. It has
    on-board audio but can be disabled. Has USB2 and LAN. Very affordable for
    the performance.

    Very stable and reasonably quiet. Will also overclock well if you're that
    way inclined, to XP3200+ speeds but you'll need a well-ventilated case. At
    least PC3200 RAM, 512MB thereof. Two 256MB is better than one 512 to take
    advantage of the dual-channel memory feature, it only offers a slight
    increase in through-put but may be worth it to you.

    Case and PSU are a matter of what you can afford, and what you think looks
    good. Look for a case with room for front and back fans, 90-120mm is best
    for low-noise.

    I know nothing of LCDs.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Jeremy

    samg Guest

    Dumdedo <> wrote in

    samg, Jan 4, 2004
  11. Jeremy

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:36:04 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:

    >Jeremy wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I'am looking at building a new box, Whats got good bang for buck, I
    >> want preformance with no cooling issues, with some usb2 or firewire
    >> ports and pref onboard lan, do not want onboard audio. Whats a good
    >> lcd screen to buy as well.
    >>
    >> What brands would be best to go for and what should I stay away from
    >> for Motherboards,
    >>
    >> Chips, what offers good preformance at a resonable price without
    >> needing a loud fan to cool.
    >>
    >> All genuine replys welcome.
    >>
    >> Jeremy

    >IMO the best bang-for-buck is currently a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L mobo (Socket A,
    >nVidia Ultra 400 chipset) with an AMD Barton XP2500+ retail CPU/HSF. I have
    >put several of these together recently, all straight-forward. It has
    >on-board audio but can be disabled. Has USB2 and LAN. Very affordable for
    >the performance.

    Utter Crap lots of Noise and HEAT, AMD is just not the way to go..

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  12. Jeremy

    Dumdedo Guest

    On 5 Jan 2004 09:58:23 +1300, samg <> wrote:

    >Dumdedo <> wrote in
    >

    >> Intel the ONLY Way.....to waste your money :)

    How come corporate users only use Intel..?

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  13. Jeremy

    harry Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:
    > On 5 Jan 2004 09:58:23 +1300, samg <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dumdedo <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> Intel the ONLY Way.....to waste your money :)
    >>>

    > How come corporate users only use Intel..?

    They also use Sun and IBM, which also makes no difference to home users.

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  14. Jeremy

    harry Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:36:04 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Jeremy wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I'am looking at building a new box, Whats got good bang for buck, I
    >>> want preformance with no cooling issues, with some usb2 or firewire
    >>> ports and pref onboard lan, do not want onboard audio. Whats a good
    >>> lcd screen to buy as well.
    >>>
    >>> What brands would be best to go for and what should I stay away from
    >>> for Motherboards,
    >>>
    >>> Chips, what offers good preformance at a resonable price without
    >>> needing a loud fan to cool.
    >>>
    >>> All genuine replys welcome.
    >>>
    >>> Jeremy

    >> IMO the best bang-for-buck is currently a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L mobo
    >> (Socket A, nVidia Ultra 400 chipset) with an AMD Barton XP2500+
    >> retail CPU/HSF. I have put several of these together recently, all
    >> straight-forward. It has on-board audio but can be disabled. Has
    >> USB2 and LAN. Very affordable for the performance.

    > Utter Crap lots of Noise and HEAT, AMD is just not the way to go..

    Same noise and heat as a P4
    But better price performance ratio according to tomshardware anandtech etc

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  15. Jeremy

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:11:26 +1300, "harry" <> wrote:

    >Dumdedo wrote:
    >> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:36:04 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
    >> wrote:

    >>> IMO the best bang-for-buck is currently a Soltek SL-75FRN2-L mobo
    >>> (Socket A, nVidia Ultra 400 chipset) with an AMD Barton XP2500+
    >>> retail CPU/HSF. I have put several of these together recently, all
    >>> straight-forward. It has on-board audio but can be disabled. Has
    >>> USB2 and LAN. Very affordable for the performance.

    >> Utter Crap lots of Noise and HEAT, AMD is just not the way to go..

    >Same noise and heat as a P4

    NO NO & NO.

    >But better price performance ratio according to tomshardware anandtech etc

    Utter Crap and far to unstable, that is why Corporate firms use Intel..

    Any Way Hairy you just don't have a clue..

    Dumdedo, Jan 4, 2004
  16. Jeremy

    harry Guest

    Dumdedo wrote:

    >> Same noise and heat as a P4

    > NO NO & NO.

    82W power dissipation for a P4
    74.3W dissipation for an AMD

    So its actually worse.
    How many fans do you need for your P4 ?

    >> But better price performance ratio according to tomshardware
    >> anandtech etc
    >>

    > Utter Crap

    Every comparison run by any of these sites comes up with the conclusion that
    AMD processors offer the best price performance ratio.

    harry, Jan 4, 2004
  17. Jeremy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    harry wrote:
    > Dumdedo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Same noise and heat as a P4

    >> NO NO & NO.

    > 82W power dissipation for a P4
    > 74.3W dissipation for an AMD
    >
    > So its actually worse.
    > How many fans do you need for your P4 ?

    Fans? He needs to leave the side off his case.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 4, 2004
  18. Re: Building a comp what parts to buy, MOtherboad, chip, ram, Case,Psu

    Dumdedo wrote:
    > How come corporate users only use Intel..?

    Since when?
    Better tell my prior bosses to go change their kit.

    --
    Http://www.dave.net.nz
    There is Hangman there.

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 4, 2004
  19. Buy the main parts: m/b CPU & RAM from one retailer. This will make it alot
    easier if there is a fault in one of these parts: you wont have to try & trace the fault, just
    return the whole lot & they can sort it out

    Steve Robertson, Jan 4, 2004
  20. Jeremy

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:11:51 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:

    >harry wrote:

    >>> NO NO & NO.

    >> 82W power dissipation for a P4
    >> 74.3W dissipation for an AMD
    >>
    >> So its actually worse.
    >> How many fans do you need for your P4 ?

    >Fans? He needs to leave the side off his case.

    He changes boards so often there's no point in putting the side on!

    Invisible, Jan 4, 2004