Buggy Word Pad annoyance on windows 2000, how to repair?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pacific Dragon, May 28, 2005.

  1. Has anyone encounted this or similar?

    When trying to use WordPad to type something, after a few key strokes or
    lines of typing, the whole thing seems to shat it self, When this happens,
    the following behaviour will occur...

    1. Adding any more words will result the cusor jumping down, adding another
    line after each character is typed. While the characters are written
    behind other characters.
    2. Trying to delete a line will result in 5-10 lines disappearing, and text
    from another part of the document appearing in it's place Also trying to
    type at this point will add characters in the middle of an existing
    sentence and Not at where the cursor is located.
    3. Also strange characters including place holders (i.e blocks) will also
    appear like if wordpad is trying to read from uninitialized memory.

    As I find this _highly_ annoying, I want to find a fix for this but do not
    think it is enough to warrant a complete reinstall of windows. I've also
    noticed this behavior on Keynote which is based around some richedit
    function I'm gathering. As such I'm suspecting a DLL has busted it self or
    something along the lines of that.

    I haven't noticed this behavior in either Notepad, Word 97 nor OpenOffice
    1.1.4

    Any ideas about how I should go around trying to fix this annoying problem?
    Pacific Dragon, May 28, 2005

  2. Pacific Dragon

    phstpok Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > Has anyone encounted this or similar?
    >
    > When trying to use WordPad to type something, after a few key strokes or
    > lines of typing, the whole thing seems to shat it self, When this happens,
    > the following behaviour will occur...
    >
    > 1. Adding any more words will result the cusor jumping down, adding another
    > line after each character is typed. While the characters are written
    > behind other characters.
    > 2. Trying to delete a line will result in 5-10 lines disappearing, and text
    > from another part of the document appearing in it's place Also trying to
    > type at this point will add characters in the middle of an existing
    > sentence and Not at where the cursor is located.
    > 3. Also strange characters including place holders (i.e blocks) will also
    > appear like if wordpad is trying to read from uninitialized memory.
    >
    > As I find this _highly_ annoying, I want to find a fix for this but do not
    > think it is enough to warrant a complete reinstall of windows. I've also
    > noticed this behavior on Keynote which is based around some richedit
    > function I'm gathering. As such I'm suspecting a DLL has busted it self or
    > something along the lines of that.
    >
    > I haven't noticed this behavior in either Notepad, Word 97 nor OpenOffice
    > 1.1.4
    >
    > Any ideas about how I should go around trying to fix this annoying problem?

    Use a different editor.
    http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/utilities_editors.html

    --

    http://phstpok.blog.co.uk/main/
    phstpok, May 28, 2005

  3. Pacific Dragon

    Harry Guest

    Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > Has anyone encounted this or similar?
    >
    > When trying to use WordPad to type something, after a few key strokes or
    > lines of typing, the whole thing seems to shat it self, When this
    > happens, the following behaviour will occur...
    >
    > 1. Adding any more words will result the cusor jumping down, adding
    > another
    > line after each character is typed. While the characters are written
    > behind other characters.
    > 2. Trying to delete a line will result in 5-10 lines disappearing, and
    > text
    > from another part of the document appearing in it's place Also trying to
    > type at this point will add characters in the middle of an existing
    > sentence and Not at where the cursor is located.
    > 3. Also strange characters including place holders (i.e blocks) will also
    > appear like if wordpad is trying to read from uninitialized memory.
    >
    > As I find this _highly_ annoying, I want to find a fix for this but do not
    > think it is enough to warrant a complete reinstall of windows. I've also
    > noticed this behavior on Keynote which is based around some richedit
    > function I'm gathering. As such I'm suspecting a DLL has busted it self
    > or something along the lines of that.
    >
    > I haven't noticed this behavior in either Notepad, Word 97 nor OpenOffice
    > 1.1.4
    >
    > Any ideas about how I should go around trying to fix this annoying
    > problem?

    Remove all spyware and viruses from your os.
    Harry, May 28, 2005
  4. Pacific Dragon

    Impossible Guest

    "Pacific Dragon" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone encounted this or similar?
    >
    > When trying to use WordPad to type something, after a few key
    > strokes or
    > lines of typing, the whole thing seems to shat it self, When this
    > happens,
    > the following behaviour will occur...
    >
    > 1. Adding any more words will result the cusor jumping down, adding
    > another
    > line after each character is typed. While the characters are
    > written
    > behind other characters.
    > 2. Trying to delete a line will result in 5-10 lines disappearing,
    > and text
    > from another part of the document appearing in it's place Also
    > trying to
    > type at this point will add characters in the middle of an existing
    > sentence and Not at where the cursor is located.
    > 3. Also strange characters including place holders (i.e blocks) will
    > also
    > appear like if wordpad is trying to read from uninitialized memory.
    >
    > As I find this _highly_ annoying, I want to find a fix for this but
    > do not
    > think it is enough to warrant a complete reinstall of windows. I've
    > also
    > noticed this behavior on Keynote which is based around some richedit
    > function I'm gathering. As such I'm suspecting a DLL has busted it
    > self or
    > something along the lines of that.
    >
    > I haven't noticed this behavior in either Notepad, Word 97 nor
    > OpenOffice
    > 1.1.4
    >
    > Any ideas about how I should go around trying to fix this annoying
    > problem?

    For starters, you can run a System File Check:

    Start | Run | sfc /scannow
    Impossible, May 28, 2005
  5. On Sat, 28 May 2005 00:34:18 -0400, Impossible wrote:

    > For starters, you can run a System File Check:
    >
    > Start | Run | sfc /scannow

    Thanks for all the replies.
    Tried using System File Checker, but it didn't think anything was wrong.
    I've resorted to using an alternate Editor for the time being.
    Pacific Dragon, May 29, 2005